Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 12:41 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

^ New York City does have quite a few things its number one in.

5 out of the Big 6 Film Production Companies are based in New York City, with it also controlling the majority in Market Share in America's Film Industry.

There are only 6 Major Film Production Companies in the USA and 5 of them are headquartered in New York City (The parents companies), and 1 is headquartered in Los Angeles.

New York City:
- Time Warner (The Film Subsidiary being Warner Brothers Pictures)
- News Corporation (The Film Subsidiary being 20th Century Fox)
- Viacom (The Film Subsidiary being Paramount Pictures)
- General Electric/Vivendi (The Film Subsidiary being Universal Studios)
- Sony Corporation of America (The Film Subsidiary being Columbia Pictures)

Los Angeles:
- The Walt Disney Company (The Film Subsidiary being Disney Pictures)

By Market Share, we're looking at-

New York City:
- Time Warner (Warner Bros. Pictures): 20.1% of the total Hollywood Filming Market Share
- News Corporation (20th Century Fox): 16.1% of the total Hollywood Filming Market Share
- Viacom (Paramount Pictures): 14.3% of the total Hollywood Filming Market Share
- General Electric/Vivendi (Universal Studios): 10.0% of the total Hollywood Filming Market Share
- Sony Corporation of America (Columbia Pictures): 14.1%

New York City's Total: 64.8% of the TOTAL Hollywood Film Market Share

Los Angeles:
- Walt Disney Company (Disney Pictures): 11.9%

Los Angeles's Total: 11.9% of the TOTAL Hollywood Film Market Share

Other Minor Role Film Production:
And the rest of the companies that aren't big league own 23.6% of the TOTAL Film Marketing Share in USA. I don't know specifically where they are located though but with 64.8% already, New York City walks away generating more than half of the American Cinema/Film Industry's Revenues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Atlanta: Hartsfield International Airport, the busiest in the world, $19.8 Billion annual economic impact supporting 55,300 jobs

Jacksonville: Port of Jacksonville, one of the busiest in the country, $19 Billion annual economic impact supporting 65,000 jobs

Savannah: Port of Georgia (with Brunswick), 2nd busiest on East Coast, supports 300,000 jobs, $15.5 Billion in income, $61.7 Billion in sales, $3.5 Billion in Federal taxes, and $2.6 Billion in State and Local Taxes
By the middle of this decade, Jacksonville will have the 2nd busiest port on the Atlantic Coast following up to only New York-NNJ Area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 12:42 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Bay Area:
New York City:
- Finance, which assumes a major role in itself
In Finance you should lump financial services, marketing, real estate, law, accounting, and other finance related fields.

I'd also put down Entertainment (movies, music, books), and Media and Journalism (tv, newspapers, magazines).

DANNY, New York in addition to having production companies and record labels also just build a new film production studio complex (Steiner Studios) that is the 2nd largest after Hollywood. Spiderman 3 was shot there.

Do you have any stats on aerospace? Just going by feel some of the contenders could be Seattle, Houston, Huntsville, and Space Coast Fl.

Last edited by Gantz; 01-13-2011 at 12:51 PM..

Old 01-13-2011, 12:51 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Good stuff, am curious if hartsfield has the largest economic impact - most passengers but i just read yesterday that PHL (Philadelphia) generates 14.2 Billion with one-quarter the passengers, wonder is this is final destination thing and if other airports produce more economic impact with fewer passengers.

I never knew the port of Jax was so large - pretty cool
I just saw another report saying Hartsfield's economic impact was $32.5 billion, but it came from an unofficial source. Hartsfield does not handle very much air cargo, and Philadelphia International handles roughly the same amount of air cargo (which is where the real economic impact is in addition to employment).

Old 01-13-2011, 12:57 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Lots of cities have niche's. Many of them are number one in different things, as a clear up. This thread is designed to cover almost every economical aspect (as many sectors as possible) and get into motion a common understanding of what a niche is, and what cities have a niche.

Houston:
- Energy, no one in the country comes close to oil, gas, & green energy
- Sea Port by total tonnage, and its going to be even more unreal in the next few years
- Manufacturing Center, end of 2010 it took over what Chicago, Los Angeles, & New York City have led in for decades in the past

Source: http://www.manufacturersnews.com/new...obsDec2010.pdf
wow, I didn't know that Houston had passed Chicago in Manufacturing.

And people try to label it as a one trick pony?
Hey the GHP website lists Houston's GDP at 435B. they say it is from the Perryman group, do you have any info on that list?

Old 01-13-2011, 12:58 PM

940 posts, read 2,027,155 times
Los Angeles

It appears some people have some good info here, so I'll start the conversation and then see what detailed data I can drum up.

Direct trade and transport - I saw the Chicago reference above but I'm curious what your "37% more" refers to. LA is the largest customs district in the nation, generating the most amount of $$$, and with the most employees. This is the largest employer in the region after the nebulous and overarching "tourism."

Manufacturing - More manufacturing employees than Chicago and detroit combined. Not sure about economic output, but I imagine it leads other regions.

Arts Production - This goes beyond hollywood, as LA has the largest population of creative industry workers of any city (artists, designers, performers, etc.). Most of the big decisions are made in NYC (art prices, movie budgets, etc.) but LA leads in production.

Car Design - This is obviously much smaller than the big three above, but LA dominates in auto design. I forget the stat but something like 3/4 of all car designers went to school in LA and tons of car companies have design studios here.

I can't think of any other true niches LA occupies. It's obviously a strong player in aerospace, architecture, and engineering but other regions can match it in those.

Um... silly food fads and casual fashion trends?

Old 01-13-2011, 01:00 PM

940 posts, read 2,027,155 times
Oh btw, all of that above is for metro area (in comparison to other metro areas). The city of los angeles has a terrible economy. The stat of houston having the most industrial jobs is for city limits only.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:02 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
Quote:
By the middle of this decade, Jacksonville will have the 2nd busiest port on the Atlantic Coast following up to only New York-NNJ Area
Huh? Cite please. According to wikipedia, it's the #36 port in the country, and #3 in Florida.

Also, what do we mean by busiest? Container traffic? Cargo tonnage? Value of cargo?

These measures all give vastly different results for who is the "busiest".

Old 01-13-2011, 01:05 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
In Finance you should lump financial services, marketing, real estate, law, accounting, and other finance related fields.
Definitely. New York City pretty much has a monopoly on Finance in general. Chicago does extremely well in this regard also, and Boston comes in over the top.
Quote:
I'd also put down Entertainment (movies, music, books), and Media and Journalism (tv, newspapers, magazines).
See this really makes me wonder about how other places are called "Entertainment Capitals" when New York City more than enough qualifies for it also. I also think the American Film Industry is the least reliable industry there is in America, it more than any other industry I can name has switched nexus's so much in its history. It went from New York to Chicago, Chicago to Los Angeles, and is now scattering and going back mostly to New York.
Quote:
I
Do you have any stats on aerospace? Just going by feel some of the contenders could be Seattle, Houston, Huntsville, and Space Coast Fl.
I don't have statistics but I can definitely say you have a great idea on this one. The major players in the aerospace/aeronautics industry are Lockheed Martin, NASA, Boeing, MacDonald Dettwiler, EADS, & Northrop Grumann.

Northrop Grumann which is the last of the Aeronautics Industry left in Los Angeles is set to move to Washington DC (it's entire headquarters and operations services sectors) in summer 2011. They picked out a place in Northern Virginia to move to called Falls Church, Virginia

I would say the biggest names in the Aeronautics Industry are:
- Washington DC: HQ- NASA, Northrop Grumann- Future HQ, & Lockheed Martin (Bestheda, MD)
- Houston: Mission Control Headquarters for NASA, Service Engineering and production of NASA equipped spacecraft, Continental compromising major services here, and assembly line for modern flight model spacecraft, & flight simulations are originated here
- Seattle: Like Houston, its got assembly and service engineering for Boeing.
- Chicago: Headquarters for Boeing, Logistical headquarters for flight simulations, & United Airlines assembly line

I would say those are the big names in the Aeronautics Industry/Aerospace Industry without any contest.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:15 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
I would say the biggest names in the Aeronautics Industry are:
- Washington DC: HQ- NASA, Northrop Grumann- Future HQ, & Lockheed Martin (Bestheda, MD)
- Houston: Mission Control Headquarters for NASA, Service Engineering and production of NASA equipped spacecraft, Continental compromising major services here, and assembly line for modern flight model spacecraft, & flight simulations are originated here
- Seattle: Like Houston, its got assembly and service engineering for Boeing.
- Chicago: Headquarters for Boeing, Logistical headquarters for flight simulations, & United Airlines assembly line

I would say those are the big names in the Aeronautics Industry/Aerospace Industry without any contest.
I'd say Huntsville, AL could definately hold its own as well: Huntsville Alabama USA - Huntsville Aerospace/Defense Industry Overview

Old 01-13-2011, 01:19 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Huh? Cite please. According to wikipedia, it's the #36 port in the country, and #3 in Florida.

Also, what do we mean by busiest? Container traffic? Cargo tonnage? Value of cargo?

These measures all give vastly different results for who is the "busiest".
It will not surpass Savannah or the PNYNJ, but in terms of tonnage and cargo the Port of Jacksonville will easily be 3rd and these 3 will be far larger than any other East Coast ports. In terms of tonnage, PoJ is neck and neck with Port Everglades right now, slightly behind Port of Tampa, and ahead of Port of Miami.

Jacksonville just built a new $400 million terminal for Mitsui, a Japanese shipping line, which serves as their first East Coast terminal. Jacksonville is also building a $399 million terminal for Hanjin, a Korean shipping line that already has a terminal at Savannah. These two terminals alone will triple Jacksonville's TEU (container) capacity. It has room to grow and it is. Port of Savannah is also still growing. PNYNJ is kind of boxed in already, as are Port Everglades and Port of Miami. The numbers for Wikipedia are already substantially outdated and by 2015 or 2020 will look completely different.

Norfolk also has a large port, but it's kind of limited in expansion, too. With the Panama Canal widening set to be complete by 2014, "Post-Panamax" ships that can carry 12,000+ TEUs will be calling on a few East Coast ports that can handle them. Freight traffic is growing much much faster globally than Vehicle Miles Travelled (an indicator of car traffic). With other countries developing at rapid rates, shipping/freight/logistics are among the fastest growing industries in the world. The 3 hub ports of the East Coast will easily be the Port of New York/New Jersey, the Port of Savannah, and the Port of Jacksonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City