Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,370,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
But isn't TX slated to have a large deficit as well? I mean, what will TX do to reduce its own deficit? This may sound very "kumbaya" but shouldn't the states work together to pull the country out of this mess instead of scrambling to get the leftovers?

Also, while I agree that AZ and NV have developed well, they certainly haven't trumped CA in terms of economic importance. Likewise, aren't all three of those states suffering extremely due to the current economic conditions, especially NV??
And ? Texas won't raise taxes and their budget deficit is just an estimation.
Look at that :

Quote:
Texas Comptroller Susan Combs said Wednesday that the state’s sales tax revenue for December was $1.81 billion, up 9.4 percent compared to December 2009 data.
The sales tax data shows that the Texas economy is continuing to grow, Combs says.
“This marks the ninth consecutive month of year-over-year improvement in sales tax revenues, with increases posted across the board,” Combs says. “There were increases in the oil and natural gas and manufacturing sectors reflecting recovering business spending. Sales tax in the retail trade and restaurant sectors were also up.”

Sales tax revenue rises throughout Texas | Houston Business Journal
Quote:
Texas employment is expected to grow by 1.5 million jobs, or 2.3 percent, during the next five years, according to IHS Global Insight.
The Lone Star State is one of six states in the nation projected to grow more than 2.1 percent between 2010 and 2016. The other states are Utah (2.7 percent), Idaho (2.4 percent), Nevada (2.4 percent), Arizona (2.3 percent) and Florida (2.2 percent).
States that will see smaller growth include Connecticut (0.9 percent), Alaska (1.1 percent) and Ohio and Michigan, both at 1.2 percent.

Texas to add 1.5M jobs by 2016, report says | Houston Business Journal
Don't worry about Texas, with more jobs and more businesses each day their revenues grow quickly, and their budget deficit will disappear quickly.

And you say " they certainly haven't trumped CA in terms of economic importance" it's normal...California = 37 million inhabitants / Arizona + Nevada = 9.1 millions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 10:26 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,400,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Don't worry about Texas, with more jobs and more businesses each day their revenues grow quickly, and their budget deficit will disappear quickly.
Heh, I bet people said the same thing about California years ago...

Old 01-14-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Heh, I bet people said the same thing about California years ago...
California had anti-business policies, it was a pipe dream, and they love the spending.In Texas they have pro-businesses policies and their spending is low.
In 2003 Texas had a large deficit, but they cut spending dramatically.After that it was surplus, not deficits !

But anyway it's useless to deny it :
Illinois strong tax increases will provok the fleeing of people and businesses...67% of increase for the income tax and 50% for the corporate tax it's too much.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:37 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
California had anti-business policies, it was a pipe dream, and they love the spending.In Texas they have pro-businesses policies and their spending is low.
In 2003 Texas had a large deficit, but they cut spending dramatically.After that it was surplus, not deficits !

But anyway it's useless to deny it :
Illinois strong tax increases will provok the fleeing of people and businesses...67% of increase for the income tax and 50% for the corporate tax it's too much.
To put this in perspective do you have the current / new income taxes for say, the 10-15 largest cities...

i.e. Seattle/Boston/SF/LA/Dallas/Houston/Chicago/Boston/NYC/Atlanta?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:13 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,400,914 times
From what I could glean regarding the 15 largest cities in the U.S. (using a variety of sources), state income taxes were:

NYC: 4 to 6.85%
LA: 1 to 10.3 %
CHI: 5% (flat, after the increase)
Houston: none
PHX: 2.59-4.54%
Philadelphia: 3.07% (flat)
San Antonio: none
San Diego: 1 to 10.3%
Dallas: none
San Jose: 1 to 10.3%
Detroit: 4.35% (flat)
San Francisco: 1 to 10.3%
Jacksonville: none
Indianapolis: 3.4% (flat)
Austin: none.

How IL compares to neighboring states:
IL: 5% (flat, after increase)
WI: 4.6% to 7.75%
IA: 0.36 to 8.98%
IN: 3.4% (flat)
MO: 1.5 to 6%
KY: 2% to 6%

Some of the data are a bit old, unfortunately.

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 01-14-2011 at 12:23 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 12:31 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Wait, aren't people in Wisconsin STILL going to be paying higher income taxes on average??

Their corp. rate is 7.9% and ours is 9.5%.

I mean it's higher - but overall I don't know if many people/business are going to spend money and pick up to move to Wisconsin just because they'll still be paying higher income taxes, and save 1.6% on corp. taxes.

I read anyway that 2/3 of Illinois business don't actually pay taxes because of credits and subsidies.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:31 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,135 times
Quote:
Won't the increase in income tax still make the income tax in IL lower than many other states? For WI and IN, I wouldn't count my chickens before the eggs are hatched, as those states also have budget deficits with which to deal.
Just as a correction Indiana does not have a budget deficit. The only thing that may prevent Indianapolis from becoming the next boom town in the Midwest is that the state government may be getting too conservative. If too much social legislation is passed (gay marriage ban, abortion bans, etc...) then Indianapolis can kiss its' potential goodbye.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:35 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
The only thing that may prevent Indianapolis from becoming the next boom town in the Midwest is that the state government may be getting too conservative. If too much social legislation is passed (gay marriage ban, abortion bans, etc...) then Indianapolis can kiss its' potential goodbye.
What makes you think any of that would happen?

Old 01-14-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Wait, aren't people in Wisconsin STILL going to be paying higher income taxes on average??

Their corp. rate is 7.9% and ours is 9.5%.

I mean it's higher - but overall I don't know if many people/business are going to spend money and pick up to move to Wisconsin just because they'll still be paying higher income taxes, and save 1.6% on corp. taxes.

I read anyway that 2/3 of Illinois business don't actually pay taxes because of credits and subsidies.
The main gainer won't be Wisconsin (just one of them) but Indiana, this state attracts illinois jobs since many years.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:01 PM

758 posts, read 1,961,238 times
Illinois now has the highest corporate taxes in the nation.

There will be a huge loss of corporate business. Even Mayor Daley said that significant business loss is inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City