Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 06:00 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Good job Texas and FL and other low tax states ... Sorry New Jersey.
Don't worry later this decade i have a feeling will turn around...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 06:24 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Texas has schools that are some of the best schools in the country, just like many other areas of the country.

Newsweek:
1 Talented and Gifted Dallas TX
4 Science/Engineering Magnet Dallas TX
12 Science Academy of South Texas Mercedes TX
15 North Hills Prep ** Irving TX
19 Communication Arts San Antonio TX
30 Carnegie Vanguard Houston TX
38 Highland Park Dallas TX
42 South Texas High School for Health Professions Mercedes TX
52 South Texas Business Education and Teaching Edinburg TX
54 Liberal Arts and Science Academy Austin TX
59 Westlake Austin TX
71 Debakey High School for Health Professions Houston TX

US News:

1Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and TechnologyAlexandria, VA
2International AcademyBloomfield Hills, MI
3Whitney High SchoolCerritos, CA
4Oxford AcademyCypress, CA
5School for the Talented and Gifted at Yvonne A. Ewell Townview CenterDallas, TX
6Newcomers High SchoolLong Island City, NY
7Pacific Collegiate SchoolSanta Cruz, CA
8School of Science and Engineering MagnetDallas, TX
9BASIS TucsonTucson, AZ
10International SchoolBellevue, WA
11High Technology High SchoolLincroft, NJ
12Academic Magnet High SchoolNo. Charleston, SC
13IDEA Academy and College PrepatoryDonna, TX
14Pine View SchoolOsprey, FL
15Design and Architecture Senior High SchoolMiami, FL
16KIPP Houston High SchoolHouston, TX
17Stanton College Preparatory SchoolJacksonville, FL
18The Early College at GuilfordGreensboro, NC
19The High School of American Studies at Lehman CollegeBronx, NY
20Loveless Academic Magnet Program High SchoolMontgomery, AL

and yes, these were cut and pasted

a lot of you all are pooring into Texas everyday, you all must care it is a shame that California got too crappy to keep their peeps.
Those are private -- reaching out to far fewer residents proportionally. Texas is just not known for its public education.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:27 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
You must forget these clichés.Look at Florida, this state had a bad school system according to these clichés, but it's wrong, it's one of the most performant now (5th in the study).
I don't say Texas schools are great, the state needs to invest more in its schools (Texas gov admits it), but it's not so bad, pretty correct that's all
What is the average score on standardized tests in FL and TX? That's a constant that all states can use as a benchmark.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:54 PM

101 posts, read 275,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
my friend found the californians to be to cold and shallow. They seemed to act like their shiite don't stink.

Dionne Warwick said it best:

LA is a great big freeway, put a dollar down and buy a car
In a week, maybe two they'll make you a star
Weeks turn in to year, how quick they pass
And all the stars that never were are parking cars and pumping gas.

LOL, no thanks. I will stick with Texas
LOL, Dionne Warwick?! I'm sure she and all her psychic friends and solid gold dancers are some of the worst CA has to offer. Still, many more people have come to LA and become stars than "H-town" that is for sure.
Sorry your buddy had a bad experience. I guarantee not all of us are shallow. Not to sound rude, but I wonder if he is a little dorky and tried to hit on some hot LA chicks with his hillbilly accent only to get dissed??

Anyway, yes. You stick with Texas. That will be a good thing.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:18 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I know how to access the general website. I'm talking about these stats in particular that are basis of the charts in the first post in this thread. Give me that particular link.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:28 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,371,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I know how to access the general website. I'm talking about these stats in particular that are basis of the charts in the first post in this thread. Give me that particular link.
I can't, these stats are months after months, you don't have cumulated stats for the entire year.You must go in the unemployment section and see each month then assemblate them.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
These threads are hilarious, and are becoming more and more common:

1. OP is a Texas booster who probably wouldn't have posted these stats if Texas weren't dominating them (yeah, we know...Texas is pro-business with low taxes...I'm sure it will last forever).
2. Texas haters throw irrelvant flack at Texas for no reason.
3. Texas boosters defend and throw flack at other states (e.g. CA, NJ, etc.)
4. Sun-belt boosters talk about how much greater the south is.
5. North and West boosters talk about how ugly and culture-less the south is.

I say congrats to the states doing well in job creation and good luck to the states that need improvement. As for southern boosters, the exponential job growth and population growth will stop one day, just like it did the North and West (wait till you have to modify your infrastructure and raise taxes...it WILL happen despite current trends). As for northern and western boosters, how about a congrats to the states doing well and if you like your state so much, then don't worry about people liking the south...who cares?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:47 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Those are private -- reaching out to far fewer residents proportionally. Texas is just not known for its public education.
Actually, those are public schools, all of the ones on Newsweek's list are (many of the top ones are magnet schools, but nonetheless still public).

And take a further look at Newsweek's list. Houston alone has 20 schools that made it- and I mean Houston proper, not including the ones in the metro area that serve affluent suburban districts. That's just as many as Los Angeles. San Antonio and Dallas have 15 and 10, respectively, which are each more than those bastions of blue-state enlightenment San Francisco and San Jose.

Like I said, Texas isn't the best in education, but it's certainly no bottom-feeder, despite some people's dogmatic belief that Texas is a third-world country compared to the Northeast and West Coast.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:04 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal44 View Post
LOL, Dionne Warwick?! I'm sure she and all her psychic friends and solid gold dancers are some of the worst CA has to offer. Still, many more people have come to LA and become stars than "H-town" that is for sure.
Sorry your buddy had a bad experience. I guarantee not all of us are shallow. Not to sound rude, but I wonder if he is a little dorky and tried to hit on some hot LA chicks with his hillbilly accent only to get dissed??

Anyway, yes. You stick with Texas. That will be a good thing.
who the heck cares about becoming stars?? oh wait Californians lol

Californians... soooo shallow

Old 01-17-2011, 10:07 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
what the heck are you talking about. Not known to you maybe because you choose to be ignorant and listen to erroneous nonsense and stupid steryotypes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Actually, those are public schools, all of the ones on Newsweek's list are (many of the top ones are magnet schools, but nonetheless still public).

And take a further look at Newsweek's list. Houston alone has 20 schools that made it- and I mean Houston proper, not including the ones in the metro area that serve affluent suburban districts. That's just as many as Los Angeles. San Antonio and Dallas have 15 and 10, respectively, which are each more than those bastions of blue-state enlightenment San Francisco and San Jose.

Like I said, Texas isn't the best in education, but it's certainly no bottom-feeder, despite some people's dogmatic belief that Texas is a third-world country compared to the Northeast and West Coast.
Thanks

+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City