Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 03:50 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
You're also on point with your addition of Phoenix too. Scottsdale from what I can remember is a very respectable suburban area, where there's a lot of resorts and upscale shops. Areas outside of Phoenix, I've noticed a lot of Phoenicians go boating in some of the large lakes or such and there's always lots of mountain ranges.

Plus one of the greatest hidden secrets of Arizona, Montazuma's Castle is always a great thing to see, in my opinion.

I hope you don't mind but I also added in Greater Boston which includes all of the state of Rhode Island and a third of New Hampshire. So Providence, and other New England towns are actually quite a nice addition to the Greater Boston area.
Yea, although a lot of people hate on Phoenix on CD, that area has a lot going for it...unfortunately its all just not in the city. And Montezuma Castle is indeed a very cool thing to see.

Definitely agree with Greater Boston as well. There are so many nice small towns, suburbs, and college towns throughout the metro as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 03:51 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Top 5: Boston Seattle SF LA Denver, honorable mention the DC-NYC stretch.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:56 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
I kind of disagree. It's not so much as the city, but its the scenery that's offered outside of the city that many can want to get away to at times. Their like Ying & Yang, New York City is the city itself that many would want to see, the surrounding areas of the counties in New York State right above (North) of New York City can offer the scenery.

There is:
- Jersey City
- Hoboken
- Yonkers
- Greenwich
- Westchester County

And also this in the same Metropolitan Area:
Those pictures show the diversity of NYC's metro. It really is something to behold.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
I kind of disagree. It's not so much as the city, but its the scenery that's offered outside of the city that many can want to get away to at times. Their like Ying & Yang, New York City is the city itself that many would want to see, the surrounding areas of the counties in New York State right above (North) of New York City can offer the scenery.

There is:
- Jersey City
- Hoboken
- Yonkers
- Greenwich
- Westchester County

And also this in the same Metropolitan Area:
OH yes, the Tri-state area has some beautiful areas (I'm from there), especially to the north. Some of the beaches are very good, too, and are suprisingly undeveloped if you go east enough. Fire Island has a wilderness area. But I thought we were judging based on more human-built amenities. And most metro areas have their best scenery outside the city, though maybe NYC has better than most?

But I think more of the non-outdoor activities are concentrated in the center city compared to other metro areas. A lot of suburbanites go into the city for stuff to do and the places you listed are small compared to NYC.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:53 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,678 times
I'd say any major city with a small geographic area but lots of suburban areas should have plenty to do outside the city limits. It just makes sense. Examples of geographically small major cities include: Boston, San Francisco, Miami, St Louis, Washington, and Minneapolis.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:56 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
I would have to say Atlanta. Plenty to do in the suburb called Birmingham.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:54 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
1. Tri-State metro area
2. LA Metro area

By far

Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Los Angeles for first pick, but I find most metros of large cities have a lot of interesting stuff (since they're so huge).

Many of the places that are identified as Los Angeles are not actually part of the city of Los Angeles such as Burbank, Malibu, Beverly Hills, Culver City, Santa Monica, Orange County, the San Gabriel Valley, etc.

Meanwhile the topography of the metro means you have mountains, forests, islands, beaches, and deserts to visit.

the history of the place means indian reservations and old spanish missions

Old 01-15-2011, 09:59 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
Definitely the Dallas area. Not everything is concentrated to just Dallas proper. lots of different stuff around the Metroplex.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:27 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Los Angeles is easily number one here. That's one reason why I like it so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City