Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 09:42 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,454,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I'd say Minneapolis/St. Paul is VERY unappreciated in this country, mostly because people are afraid cold weather (or the perception), but it has quite of bit of culture and personality that I've never seen anywhere else. If you visited, I'd think you'd agree.
I doesn't seem as if Minneapolis or Minnesota in general is marketed to the rest of the country or atleast my region. It's just like Seattle, Portland, Denver, Salt Lake City... those cities that you know exist, but you never hear anything about them unless you actively research them or visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 01:26 AM

303 posts, read 750,804 times
JC ..even though it has it own culture slightly, it is still associated with ny. Even if its something that is JC born and breed, ny finds a way to take credit it...one example Frank Sinatra.

Last edited by JC1990; 03-24-2011 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-24-2011, 07:14 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,842,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i disagree with "ignorance of place = lack of identity."

take a look at this and you tell me how this image is relevant to this thread:
Lol, the "!" works as a negation operator. When he did "!=" he meant "not equals" or "is not". :P

Old 03-24-2011, 06:13 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,116,518 times
I will give a vote to Oklahoma City.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:52 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,708,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Lol, the "!" works as a negation operator. When he did "!=" he meant "not equals" or "is not". :P
ah ok. as far as net lingo i'm used to:

=/=

for "not equal to."

Old 03-26-2011, 08:21 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,389,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMEN VII View Post
1st cities that comes to mind is baltimore, baton rouge, sacramento, san jose, newark
Usually people who know nothing about Baltimore will make an ignorant comment like the one above........

Old 03-26-2011, 08:27 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,389,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I doesn't seem as if Minneapolis or Minnesota in general is marketed to the rest of the country or atleast my region. It's just like Seattle, Portland, Denver, Salt Lake City... those cities that you know exist, but you never hear anything about them unless you actively research them or visit.
The only thing i know about Minneapolis is Prince and Paisley Park........

Old 03-26-2011, 08:52 PM

866 posts, read 1,557,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
In the West, all of those cities are very well known about. I know very few people that know much about the South because we don't get exposed to that a lot. A lot of this is regional.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:41 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,849,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
SACRAMENTO should be the first on the list.

Metro: 2.3 million, yet we have very little national recognition.

Why? SAC never has had a big name corporation as part of its identity.

Before anyone even knew of Fresno and Bakersfield, Sacramento took all the hits by LA and SF folks. In some cases we still are maligned; undeservedly so.

These days Fresno and Bakersfield are more well known than SAC because their reputations are so bad.

We have only one major league sports team(Sacramento Kings) and it has never been able to beat the LA Lakers to move on to the national NBA playoffs.

We have two major Colleges, one is very big (UC Davis) with a very good reputation but not known for sports. When people do recognize the name they associate it with the bay area, not Sacramento.

Sacramento has a ton of important Western American History. And, we were major contributors at one time regarding the Railroad (75yrs of manufacturing and servicing locomotives), aerospace (one big company designed & manufactured missiles and spacecraft components), and the military (2 big airforce bases closed in the '90s).

Some big name companies still here: Intel has a huge R&D facility in the city of Folsom which is in Sacramento County. HP had huge facilities (but downsized) in Roseville, a city in the Sacto Metro. Apple, Inc. -- they have been in Southern Sacramento since the 80's doing various things from manufacturing to marketing. Seimans, South Sacramento --- they manufacture san diego's and st. louis's light rail cars and cities across the world.

Sacramento is the Capital of a the 7th largest economy in the World - State Gov't and Politics is huge. But not necessarily a good thing, especially if you are from the bay area or southern cal. They blame Sacramento for all their woes when in fact they are the people who get those politicians elected because of their huge populations.

We are known as a western transportation, distribution, and regional headquarters for small business and a back office hub for Silicon Valley. But nothing to write home about on a national scale.

Unknown bragging rights:

Sacramento is just as close to World Class Ski Resorts (Sierra Neveda Mts) if not closer than Denver is to the Rockies.

Sacramento is just as connected to World Famous Wine Regions (namely Napa County) than SF, yet nobody knows that. Sacramento also has their own very productive high quality wine regions besides Napa, nobody knows that.

Our Weather is better than most places in the USA, except coastal California, but Coastal Californians tell everyone are weather is horrible. Nothing could be further from the truth, nationally speaking.

Ronald Reagan lived in Sacramento for 8yrs as Governor; Arnold flew back to LA every night when the Capitol bldg. closed for business.
Sorry for digging up an old post. But very true. Once again reiterates what I've been saying for years.

Sactown is the worst self-promoter in history. There is a lot of stuff here, but the city, with it's huge inferiority complex, never brags about it, while SF and LA steal all the limelight.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:39 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,216,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
There it is! I knew someone was going to pull this sh*t.

It was an honest question. I know it's famous for the arch but other than that I didn't know.

Let's see....

San Diego's World Famous Zoo
Balboa Park
The Navy
Great Mild Weather
Known for being very Laid-Back
1st World's Fair was held here
Panama Exchange was held here

Can we Add Comic Con? I love SD. When I get all my funds together I'm headed that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City