Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 01:18 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,296 times

Advertisements

I will clarify this, concerning my list. All cities have an identity... Some are just less noticeable or not very strong, I listed the ones that I felt that pertained to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 01:20 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Omaha
Lexington (KY) - the horse thing isn't really that noticable. I live here, at the moment, too.
Louisville
Charleston
Savannah
Charlotte
Raleigh
Greensboro
Indianapolis
Lincoln
Wichita
OKC
Little Rock
Montgomery
The NW Arkansas metro
Rochester, MN
Mobile
Phoenix (except for the fact that it's in a desert, there's really nothing special that pops into mind about it)
Dayton
Boise
Charleston and Savannah? Really?

Old 01-18-2011, 01:22 PM

Yeah, really. What's so good about those two cities? I've spent a week in each of them and found it to be an almost exact clone of... well... every southern city.

Wal Mart
McDonalds
Taco Bell
Greasy chicken place
Wal Mart
McDonalds
Taco Bell
Arbys
Repeat.

I'mma throw Columbia, SC and Columbus, Ohio in too.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:31 PM

749 posts, read 1,315,621 times
Quote:
Yeah, really. What's so good about those two cities? I've spent a week in each of them and found it to be an almost exact clone of... well... every southern city.

Wal Mart
McDonalds
Taco Bell
Greasy chicken place
Wal Mart
McDonalds
Taco Bell
Arbys
Repeat.

I'mma throw Columbia, SC and Columbus, Ohio in too.
That description is not of Savannah nor Charleston whatsoever. Maybe the cities' suburbs.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:33 PM

You're kidding, right?

What is there in either of those besides a few old churches and a couple of historic houses downtown? What defines those cities?

Old 01-18-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
You're kidding, right?
What is there in either of those besides a few old churches and a couple of historic houses downtown? What defines those cities?
No, I'm not kidding. They both have Large historic DISTRICTS for starters....Savannahs' downtown is one of the largest national historic landmarks out there.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:42 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
When I think identity, I think of things like city specific foods, city specific accents or sayings, landmarks, major historical figures
Places that seemed to lack these things for me were

Charlotte
Raleigh
Dayton
Virginia Beach

Places listed such as Savannah, St Louis , Charleston have these things, or at least several

Old 01-18-2011, 01:45 PM

Okay?

Find a major US city that doesn't have a large historic district. I'm asking what the average Joe thinks of when he hears "Savannah" or "Charleston". I'm pretty sure he doesn't have that much in his head. The history of those cities does not provide for a strong identity that makes them stand out.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:47 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
That description is not of Savannah nor Charleston whatsoever. Maybe the cities' suburbs.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. Sav & Char are among the most unique cities in the country, let alone the South. If you spend all your time out along the Interstate, every US city looks the same.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Okay?

Find a major US city that doesn't have a large historic district. I'm asking what the average Joe thinks of when he hears "Savannah" or "Charleston". I'm pretty sure he doesn't have that much in his head. The history of those cities does not provide for a strong identity that makes them stand out.
Old South coastal cities with much historical significance to the south. Kind of like New Orleans. Seafood. A defined Architecture. Cobblestone streets. etc.. They are in no way the average sunbelt city like say, Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City