Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:51 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I think you though everyone off when you started the post with:

For a big city philadelphia university is...

I think people was not certain if you meant Phila University or universities.

I for one thought you meant the plural because you made it sound like the city was lacking in schools for its size.
Eh I think my grammar was fine but I can see that.

The Delaware Valley has a ton of well known (at least in the Northeast), decent to good schools: Penn, Drexel, Temple, Nova, LaSalle, St. Joes, UArts, USP, Rutgers Camden (Jersey side). Some others are Swarthmore, Rowan (Jersey), Ursinus, Widener, West Chester, I could go on. Those are the ones I can think of because I have friends there.

As for Penn, trust me I know it's a good school. Seven people in my family have gone there. I didn't apply cause I wasn't sure if I could get in and I didn't want to embarrass myself haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 10:58 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Eh I think my grammar was fine but I can see that.

The Delaware Valley has a ton of well known (at least in the Northeast), decent to good schools: Penn, Drexel, Temple, Nova, LaSalle, St. Joes, UArts, USP, Rutgers Camden (Jersey side). Some others are Swarthmore, Rowan (Jersey), Ursinus, Widener, West Chester, I could go on. Those are the ones I can think of because I have friends there.

As for Penn, trust me I know it's a good school. Seven people in my family have gone there. I didn't apply cause I wasn't sure if I could get in and I didn't want to embarrass myself haha.

oh there was nothing wrong with your grammar, its just started out like you were going down one road and then you took a side road and ended up somewhere else.

oh lord, now you have me talking like Dr Phil.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:35 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Quote:
UDub in Seattle is nationally known, so is ASU in Phoenix.

exactly.

Nice try but no. Not everyone watches the Rose Bowl, and that is just fleeting. TCU is not quite well known.

Yep. both good nationally known brands.

I would add San Antonio to the list. The largest University there is UT San Antonio, and the Best University I think is Trinity

San Antonio has over 100,000 college students.

Nationally known brands

UT San Antonio
Texas A&M San Antonio
University Health Science Center

Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 AM

228 posts, read 537,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
I think Rice is usually ranked higher than UT, but UT is definitely better known, and is stronger in a much wider variety of disciplines.
Depends on what ranking you are talking about. If anything, UT Austin is usually ranked higher on any given list.

For instance, Rice is ranked higher in the US News "National Universities" ranking which is based largely on SAT scores, graduation/retention rates, and other related statistics.

Conversely, UT Austin is ranked higher on just about every "World's Best Universities" list, which are often based on things like high-impact publication output (per capita), faculty assessments, and award-winning faculty.

US News (and other sources) also ranks UT higher than Rice in virtually every undergrad or graduate program/department, be it in science, engineering, business, etc.

To reiterate, I do not actually think one is "better" than the other. In some specific ways Rice is better and in others, UT Austin is. Any overall comparison is really apples-to-oranges.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:21 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post

Nationally known brands

UT San Antonio
Texas A&M San Antonio
No......not really.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:50 AM

758 posts, read 1,960,805 times
U-T San Antonio is not a National Name university.

In terms of universal recognition, there is only one U-T.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:09 AM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
In another post, there was mention of Davis being near Sacramento; (it is only 10 miles away). Downtown SAC is closer to the heart of Davis, than downtown LA is to Westwood(UCLA) or SF is to UC Berkeley, or San Jose is to Stanford.
Downtown SAC is as close to the heart of UC Davis, than downtown San Diego is to La Jolla(UC San Diego).

Old 01-19-2011, 12:03 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post

Nationally known brands

UT San Antonio
Texas A&M San Antonio

I lived in San Antonio for 4 year

s and never even knew that there was an A&M campus there.

I didn't know about UTSA and UNiversity HSC until I moved to SA.
How can you call these nationally known???
Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi View Post

Conversely, UT Austin is ranked higher on just about every "World's Best Universities" list, which are often based on things like high-impact publication output (per capita), faculty assessments, and award-winning faculty.
Really? I have never paid attention to these things so I don't know, but I don't often see UT as a an entity ranked higher than Rice. In programs yes, but not as a school often.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:33 PM

228 posts, read 537,254 times
Quote:
Really? I have never paid attention to these things so I don't know, but I don't often see UT as a an entity ranked higher than Rice. In programs yes, but not as a school often.
Yes, according to several surveys UT Austin is more highly ranked than Rice as an entity.

US News "World's Best Universities": UT Austin #67, Rice #115.

World's Best Universities

Academic Ranking of World Universities: UT Austin #38, Rice #99.

Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU)

Times Higher Education: UT Austin #76, Rice #100 (UT not listed on the most recent list because they did not fill out the survey).

Times Higher Education

Washington Monthly (somewhat strange criteria, but still widely disseminated nonetheless): UT Austin #5, Rice #25.

National University Rankings 2010 | Washington Monthly

In fact I think the only rankings I know of where Rice is placed ahead of UT Austin are the "National Universities" rankings by US News and the Forbes "Best Colleges" rankings which have an even more bizarre methodology than the Washington Monthly list (and include all colleges regardless of size).

Old 01-19-2011, 12:44 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Does USNEWS look at the enrollment number status? Because I believe UT's 50,000 plus enrollment is actually a negative in their eyes. Yet when you break it down by programs, UT is listed far more than Rice. What exactly is their methodology?

As far as Dallas. SMU has the potential to be that name university for the city. Don't understand why they haven't taken advantage. In fact, could you basically come out and say that if your university isn't a big research university, than your name is not very well known?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City