Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 12:15 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
I never said it did, I was quoting a person who said Atlanta might have freeways but London doesn't have "skyscrapers". What is that supposed to mean?

No one cares about Atlanta's skyline, its a second rate skyline to NYC, Chicago, SF, and Miami. Who will come from across the world to see Atlanta's "skyline"?
Actually you were trying to start something by misquoting and now it backfired on you.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:30 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
^^^ Lol, I am still waiting for a good definition of world class
My definition would be any city in the world that is:
1. Global (as in connectedness and impact on world trade)
2. Relatively high GDP
3. Unique areas of the city that are widely known
4. thriving arts (public, local, and high cultured arts)
5. Strategic logistical positioning or demands it be an important logistical area
6. Relatively high population
7. Urban fabric

I guess the best way is to say a world class city must be global, economical, and culturally significant and important.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:08 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
^^^^Not bad.............but no criteria for hiding freeways???

Old 01-23-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
^^^^Not bad.............but no criteria for hiding freeways???
yeah. I don't see hidden freeways as a good or bad thing. Actually, it makes sense to me not to hide them, afterall if you need to get on one you probably want to know where it is.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
yeah. I don't see hidden freeways as a good or bad thing. Actually, it makes sense to me not to hide them, afterall if you need to get on one you probably want to know where it is.

LMAO, I was just thinking the same thing. My dad is crappy at directions, the only thing preventing hime from being hopelessly loss to the point where he can't find his way home are highways. He drives around until he can see a highway, drives to it and then heads home.

If they start hiding highways the poor guy would be fighting with his gps for hours.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:48 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
You guys took this freeways thing wayyy to seriously!

Old 01-23-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
LMAO, I was just thinking the same thing. My dad is crappy at directions, the only thing preventing hime from being hopelessly loss to the point where he can't find his way home are highways. He drives around until he can see a highway, drives to it and then heads home.

If they start hiding highways the poor guy would be fighting with his gps for hours.
LOL! Tell me about it.

DANNYY, you know we just teasing you.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:53 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
LOL! Tell me about it.

DANNYY, you know we just teasing you.
He knows I have been teasing him.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:28 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
My definition would be any city in the world that is:
1. Global (as in connectedness and impact on world trade)
2. Relatively high GDP
3. Unique areas of the city that are widely known
4. thriving arts (public, local, and high cultured arts)
5. Strategic logistical positioning or demands it be an important logistical area
6. Relatively high population
7. Urban fabric

I guess the best way is to say a world class city must be global, economical, and culturally significant and important.
That's a pretty good description. To your #3, I'll add -iconic sites that are internationally renowned. Examples: Statue of Liberty, White House, Eiffel Tower, Red Square, Golden Gate Bridge, Hollywood sign, etc.

If an average educated person anywhere in the world cannot identify a single architectural structure in your city by looking at images thereof, then that's a good indication your city is probably not world class.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:46 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Hmm...you've chosen some odd pictures. Boston did hide the highway downtown, which was the purpose of the Big Dig.

Quote:
lol, lets play which cities are hiding their highways. lol

Guess where these are:
In case you didn't notice...this is right next to the airport, across the harbor from downtown.

Quote:
This is downtown...but this is a very old picture. Here's how it looks now:

Thanks

Thanks

Before & After Shot

Quote:
Doesn't seem like Boston is covering it up like Spade mentioned
Downtown it is. It's still far from being finished in terms of the caliber of surrounding developments...but there are two projects which each have projected price tags greater than $1 billion...I just pray the NIMBY's don't kill the projects.

I'm gonna be a big homer for a second here...Why don't some people consider Boston to be a world class city? Along with Philadelphia it's arguably the most historical city in the country. It has the cultural offerings that people have said are necessary for a world class city. It's very well-educated and wealthy. Though the Metropolitan area is very white, it's pretty diverse. (Mass & Rhode Island have the largest Portuguese and Brasilian population in the nation). It's a top 3 US City in areas like High Tech, Biotech, Nanotech, Financial Services, and it's home to 4 of the Top 10 management consulting firms on the planet (Bain, Boston Consulting Group, Monitor, L.E.K. Consulting).

On top of that, it's arguably the world leader in two very significant areas: Higher Education and Medical Research.

Not many cities have that sort of lineup. Can anyone give me some good reasons as to why Boston shouldn't be considered a world-class city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City