Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 01:48 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,662,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Beats me?

No answer. See you do not even got a response

Old 01-30-2011, 02:22 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,164,635 times
nycricanpapi, you're from the bronx. I recalled back in 1978, on my second day of my New York trip, I walked all the way to Fordham Road from my lunch at a italian restaurant from across the street from UN Plaza on First Ave. I walked along Broadway to S. Bronx/Bronx. I passed by Harlem, and I was the only white guy there. I was shocked how horrible and rundown the area was. It was even way worst in S. Bronx up to Forham Rd. The whole area went to hell with burned out buildings, and I was only one of few people gawking there at the ruins of this decrepit city. I haven't been to that part of the city because I was so blown away how horrible this was or is. Granted, I think they have had to bulldoze acreages of land of the blighted buildings and replace them with parks, affordable housing, apts and single family homes by now. Nycricanpapi, since you live in the Bronx, is this place still the same, or they improved almost 2/3 of the area with urban revitalization. They have to, atleast that's what I think, or New York is sooooooo dispicable if they didn't. I hope they have brains to do so, or it's a lost cause. Depending on your response, based on me seeing the better part of the city(Midtown Manhattan) last summer, it could go from dispicable to a city that's a work in progress but not world class because of no real downtown to my satisfaction. Be honest, please. Is South Bronx and area near it still a no-man land. You think they would improve it or change it somewhat by now if they got any brains left.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:34 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,725,619 times
Quote:
nycricanpapi, you're from the bronx. I recalled back in 1978, on my second day of my New York trip, I walked all the way to Fordham Road from my lunch at a italian restaurant from across the street from UN Plaza on First Ave. I walked along Broadway to S. Bronx/Bronx. I passed by Harlem, and I was the only white guy there. I was shocked how horrible and rundown the area was. It was even way worst in S. Bronx up to Forham Rd. The whole area went to hell with burned out buildings, and I was only one of few people gawking there at the ruins of this decrepit city. I haven't been to that part of the city because I was so blown away how horrible this was or is. Granted, I think they have had to bulldoze acreages of land of the blighted buildings and replace them with parks, affordable housing, apts and single family homes by now. Nycricanpapi, since you live in the Bronx, is this place still the same, or they improved almost 2/3 of the area with urban revitalization. They have to, atleast that's what I think, or New York is sooooooo dispicable if they didn't. I hope they have brains to do so, or it's a lost cause. Depending on your response, based on me seeing the better part of the city(Midtown Manhattan) last summer, it could go from dispicable to a city that's a work in progress but not world class because of no real downtown to my satisfaction. Be honest, please. Is South Bronx and area near it still a no-man land. You think they would improve it or change it somewhat by now if they got any brains left.
Much of Harlem and South Bronx are not the same at all.Its stll some really bad parts but nothing since 1978.I cant imagine that could even be the U.S.The area off Fordham and Fordham University is better but nothing specal.Just very urban but not unsafe in my opinion.
But I mean look how old New York is.You expect to see areas that become no longer desirable over hundreds of years.Even Paris has places like those described.Only difference is they are in the suburbs.So like most cites with a little history,NYC is in constant progress and its the best its been in a very long time.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:00 AM

afonega1, thanks, and that's what I wanted to hear. You're info is very helpfull. It just was sooo bad back then. I went back to my hotel after seeing that place and felt so discouraged. Can you believe it? I went to Studio 54 that same night after taking a depressing nap. The people there tried to cheer me up because I was sooooo down on this city. Even Cheryl Tiegs, Kim Alexis and Marguax Hemmingway tried to convince me stay out my trip to New York since I had a whole week left in this city. They were very good looking at that time and idolized by my classmates at home. I told them, "what the f$%k did I do and wanted out. They(the models and cool people at Studio 54) said that even though the city was a pit, we all could still have fun. Boy, did I like their freshly squeezed orange juice, which was so sweat and fresh). It was the same thing at Max's Kansas City. People tried to make me feel better about this whole trip, and it worked. I was a nice relief while I had to stay. Was or is this city world class? The answer is a resounding NO. However, I like the people there, even in Harlem and S. Bronx since they were cool and never gave me any problems, except for some people asking me for 25 cents.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:42 PM

36,919 posts, read 38,874,163 times
durf is art, for true

Old 01-30-2011, 01:16 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,443,696 times
Quote:
Can you believe it? I went to Studio 54 that same night after taking a depressing nap. The people there tried to cheer me up because I was sooooo down on this city. Even Cheryl Tiegs, Kim Alexis and Marguax Hemmingway tried to convince me stay out my trip to New York since I had a whole week left in this city. They were very good looking at that time and idolized by my classmates at home. I told them, "what the f$%k did I do and wanted out. They(the models and cool people at Studio 54) said that even though the city was a pit, we all could still have fun. Boy, did I like their freshly squeezed orange juice, which was so sweat and fresh). It was the same thing at Max's Kansas City. However, I like the people there, even in Harlem and S. Bronx since they were cool and never gave me any problems, except for some people asking me for 25 cents.;
Cheryl Tiegs, Kim Alexis, and Marguax Hemmingway? Freshly squeezed orange juice at Studio 54? Durftastic...

Old 01-30-2011, 01:31 PM

4,573 posts, read 7,475,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityNooby123 View Post
Im sorry its the truth. DC, SF OR PHI are not on the world class level yet. Being globally known does not make you world class. Well maybe Philadelphia is world class since it has a huge historical influence in the world! Also it more established than most of the cities in the US. It also a world hub for medicine. San Francisco is also up there for its technology but thats all San Francisco is known for. I am guessing people are going to be mad at me for stating the truth. Miami and Atlanta are both world class because of miami being the hispanic hub and atlanta for its busy airport.
DC is the capital but if it wasn't the capital it would not be world class.

Basically a world class city to me is a city thats
- Well known HISTORICALLY (not just well known)
- Has 1 hub
- It gave the WORLD something
- Well Established throughout history and still is today
NYC, BOSTON, CHICAGO, LA ATLANTA AND MIAMI all have that and maybe philly dc and sf.
A bit contradictory, don't you think??

Old 01-30-2011, 04:20 PM

Deezus, that's how it was back in the days, despite New York being a mess and depressing. I don't think I can do that now since well known people are so protected by security, and the security teams are very strict. Back then, if you were a celebrity in New York, New Yorkers never made a big deal out of them. Everyone else across the country idolized them, and I was acting like a New Yorker that it wasn't a big deal for me hanging out with while my friends were crazy about them. I guess it was the complete and utter disgrace of New York city and despair of the city brought me to a point where celebrity and models were not so important to me or not matter that much to me. I really was let down by the city at the time that I couldn't enjoy it that, had it been in better circumstances. However, I did provide a tempory relief for me at that time. Now, nobody knows who these former model are. Alot of today's generation never even heard of Kim Alexis and Cheryl Tiegs, a sign of the time. Oh, don't get me started with best tasting orange juice ever, and it was free.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:57 PM

312 posts, read 434,465 times
World class American cities presently include: New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Washington, and Los Angeles.

World class attributes but overall not quite there yet group includes: Miami, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, Philadelphia, Las Vegas, and Seattle. Maybe even Detroit too?

Old 08-10-2011, 03:03 PM

54 posts, read 68,921 times
New York, Chicago, DC, Boston, and Philadelphia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City