Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 04:02 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I just looked at the first list, the GaWC. Yes the one below it LA moved up ONE spot and switched with Chicago, I wouldn't call that "leapfrogging" though. There's about 4 or 5 different lists so clearly it's pretty debatable.

I agree LA has many World Class amenities but it comes in a relatively unattractive package. It's not the easiest or a very likeable city for a tourist to visit based on it's built environment.
Meh just another CD opinion, the fact still remains

Old 08-16-2012, 04:07 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
So you call driving to Hollywood, parking and walking a few blocks up and down Hollywood Boulevard "world class" urbanity?

Old 08-16-2012, 04:10 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Those are called suburbs; all big cities have them. And Chicago, for as urban, transit-developed and neighborhood-friendly as it is, certainly has its share of sprawl. Then there's LA. LA, by any measure, is probably the biggest sprawler of any Acity in the United States (maybe Phoenix, maybe Las Vegas as well). Its name is nearly synonomous with sprawling, car-centric, highway-dependent culture. Play a word association game with someone not from LA and I bet in 50% of the cases, "sprawling" or "suburban comes up in the first five responses. To be fair, I'm also aware that there is a good deal of density in LA's outlying regions (it's massive)

This is a picture of LA (below). The sprawl in this picture goes nearly to those mountains in the background. Granted, the downtown (small blip in the center) is in the picture, but I'd love to get a sense of how many square miles this covers.

It's also funny that you say "check mate" about LA leap-frogging Chicago in population. Meanwhile much of the discussion here is whether or not LA should be considered a true world class city whereas it's already assumed that Chicago is a bona fide. Glass houses, right? ... And, thousands upon thousands of them lined up nicely along well-manicured lots in suburban tracts.

Who cares what common people associate what with who?

Chicago urban area = 2440 sq miles, population 8.6 million
Los Angeles urban area = 1736 sq miles, population 12.1 million

I'm sorry, who is more sprawling again?

Old 08-16-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So you call driving to Hollywood, parking and walking a few blocks up and down Hollywood Boulevard "world class" urbanity?
This is like 6 degrees to a Donald Shoup article...

Old 08-16-2012, 04:12 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
The fact that Chicago ranks ahead of LA on some lists and LA ranks ahead of Chicago on other ones? Yes that is true. LA is a great city but it doesn't really stand alone when it comes to rankings like this.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:14 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
This is like 6 degrees to a Donald Shoup article...
I know I laughed out loud.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:15 PM

896 posts, read 1,169,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The fact that Chicago ranks ahead of LA on some lists and LA ranks ahead of Chicago on other ones? Yes that is true. LA is a great city but it doesn't really stand alone when it comes to rankings like this.
Look at the wiki link again thoroughly, then come back to me

Old 08-16-2012, 04:15 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I know I laughed out loud.
I had the same reaction when I saw LA's transit ridership numbers.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not even how global a city is.

The GAWC ranking is NOTHING MORE than a ranking of the number of satellite offices a city has of specific law firms, banks, insurance firms, accounting firms & advertisting firms.

That's it.

The last time they actually did a ranking that actually weighed the combined economic, cultural and political impact of cities in the world was in 2004, the Top 5 was London, New York, Los Angeles, Paris and SF(Hahaha)
And yet, time and time again, it is treated like the Holy Bible of city rankings. Good job exposing how flawed it is.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:23 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Look at the wiki link again thoroughly, then come back to me
Ranked Higher
GaWC: Chicago
Global Cities Index: LA
Global Cities Competitiveness Index: Chicago
Global Power City Index: LA
World City Survey: LA

Like I said, LA isn't in a class of its own here. I'm not sure what's so bad about being ranked with or near Chicago in these meaningless lists anyways, it's a great city too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City