Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following is the best case scenario for you? (Multiple choice poll here)
I prefer Manhattan over San Francisco 111 55.78%
I prefer San Francisco over Manhattan 51 25.63%
I prefer Brooklyn over Los Angeles 89 44.72%
I prefer Los Angeles over Brooklyn 72 36.18%
I prefer Queens over Chicago 31 15.58%
I prefer Chicago over Queens 127 63.82%
I prefer Staten Island over Atlanta 45 22.61%
I prefer Atlanta over Staten Island 102 51.26%
I prefer The Bronx over Baltimore 58 29.15%
I prefer Baltimore over The Bronx 84 42.21%
Other 6 3.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:34 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,041,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Umm, are you kidding?

Manhattan's a one trick pony and SF has no guidos, how "rational" of you...

Well......lets see. You havent been to SF or Chicago. You just know nothing in the world compares to Manhattan. You just know you'd love Chicago altough you havent been. Sorry doesnt make sense to me. Try out Paris, London, Tokyo....

I only say one trick pony because SF is an entire city, not just a downtown, an amazing urban mecca, but SF is a whole city.

Last edited by slo1318; 01-20-2011 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 06:43 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,857,406 times
Atlanta vs. Staten Island kinda seems like a joke compared to the other comparisons....

Old 01-20-2011, 06:54 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,928,719 times
Not really, I just wanted to throw every big name city out there. Atlanta & Staten Island have similar populations and densities. I just figured they can go at it, I didn't ask which is the more important place just gave criteria for where one would prefer to live in.

Staten Island must surely appeal to someone at least for some reason or another, otherwise it wouldn't have a purpose for its existence.

I paired Los Angeles up with Brooklyn because Brooklyn is the 2nd main borough in terms of power and influence (which is still very strong considering the city its the borough too) behind Manhattan, and Los Angeles is the 2nd largest city in the country and the 2nd largest economy and stuff like that. I know Brooklyn's population is like 1.2 Million less, but that makes no difference when it comes to where someone wants to live. Since when does exact population measures matter where you live? Brooklyn on objective where to live criteria can match Los Angeles for where more would want to live.

I paired Chicago with Queens, mostly just to throw another big named city in there. Also could have done Washington DC too but picked Chicago instead since Queens has a population not too far off from Chicago, although has less land space than Chicago.

I paired Bronx & Baltimore because both get overlooked for the qualities they possess, both are viewed as crime capitals when there are plenty of redeeming areas in both places for one to live a happily and prosperous lifestyle without constant fret.

I paired Manhattan up with San Francisco because after New York, San Francisco is the 2nd densest city in the country. It may be double the land area of Manhattan and half the population but its feel is the most similar it gets to Manhattan in the country on a city wide basis (not just downtown but city wide). Plus I never asked which is more important or whatever, just simply asked where people rather live with subjective and some precise criteria.

I made the criteria to suit the need of people who prefer one place over another. It's subjective mostly with some criteria that are absolute like "best schools for higher education" which isn't subjective or whatever. But yeah, lets stop arguing the premise for the thread and focus on the 5 comparisons taking place in the thread instead.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:05 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,063,528 times
This might be the most epic thread of all time. Shoutout to DANNY for making them classic threads

Old 01-20-2011, 07:09 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,833,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
This might be the most epic thread of all time. Shoutout to DANNY for making them classic threads
Lol

Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,684,729 times
I think we have to take this thread with a grain of salt just for fun

If nothing else my co-workers in NY are always trashing NJ and Staten Island... so now I can join in with trashing Staten Island! j/k

The big problem with breaking up the NYC boroughs is ultimately they are very Manhattan centric. It is the direction most of the roads and public transit run to. It is where the business (CBD) base is. The outer Boroughs are much more residential and residential shopping/services in comparison.

Whereas the all the other cities... bigger and smaller We are comparing the whole core city, so the very nature of the types of places we are comparing are very different.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:32 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,063,528 times
As a bronxite i have to chime in

The Bronx VS Baltimore:

Criteria:
- Weather-Tie- basically the same area
- Scenery-The bronx-wave hill,riverdale,pelham bay
- Economy-Baltimore-its a city
- Education-Bronx
- Parks-Bronx. Multiple parks and has the biggest park in nyc
- Waterfront-Baltimore
- Skyline-Baltimore
- Downtown activity-Stuck. Im not sure if baltimore has activity on the level of a fordhamroad or grandconcourse
- Shopping-Baltimore
- Diversity-Bronx
- Housing stock-Theres castles in the bronx
- School systems (K-12)-the bronx.BX high school of science
- Higher education (Colleges & Universities)-The bronx
- Mass Transit-The bronx no contest
- Niche Industry (What are they for either?)-?
- Pace of life-The bronx
- Quality of life-tie
- Cost of living-Baltimore
- Dining scene-Baltimore

Old 01-20-2011, 11:50 PM

Wow, I was expecting more traction with this thread. It seemed to have all the credentials lined up to be a successful thread for sure, I wonder if its because the criteria list just became too overwhelming?

I hope it rejuvenates, its a great comparison to be had!

Old 01-20-2011, 11:59 PM

48 posts, read 158,405 times
Where is Texas or Dallas Houston? Seems like Texas should be on there before Georgia cities of Atlanta Basically a bunch of yankee cities then southern cities of baltimore and atlanta.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Catfish View Post
Where is Texas or Dallas Houston? Seems like Texas should be on there before Georgia cities of Atlanta
No. Even though Dallas & Houston are about the same density as Atlanta & Staten Island, they have an enormous chunk of land area, which makes it exceptionally disproportionate to the total amenities in their city limits, especially with Houston. With Atlanta, it has amazing amenities in the city limits and in the suburbs too.

With Houston & Dallas it would have been disproportionate because of their massive land area completely dwarfing Staten Island. I tried to make it as realistic as possible with the biggest names available. I was also considering Tucson, Albuquerque, El Paso, Milwaukee, Louisville, Las Vegas, Miami, & Charlotte to compare to Staten Island due to their populations being in the same ball park, but decided not too because many of them aren't as universally recognized as Atlanta (or even Miami) but Miami is way more dense than Staten Island so it was thrown off.

Anyways, please stay on topic people. We're not discussing why things got matched up the way they did. I already made the thread, please discuss on topic and possibly stick to the criteria. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City