Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NY/NJ/CT Vs CA
NY/NJ/CT (Tri State) 92 47.92%
CA 100 52.08%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 02:40 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
San Jose and the county alone can single handedly take on the whole New York, Ct., NJ and PA with no problem since you have Stanford University, nice climate, scenery, high tech capital of the world, attractions and bunch of cool cities like Palo Alto, Los Gatos, Campbell, Mountain View, Saratoga and San Jose. No comparison!
You're putting Cali in bad light. You do know that right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 07:36 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
San Jose and the county alone can single handedly take on the whole New York, Ct., NJ and PA with no problem since you have Stanford University, nice climate, scenery, high tech capital of the world, attractions and bunch of cool cities like Palo Alto, Los Gatos, Campbell, Mountain View, Saratoga and San Jose. No comparison!
So Stanford vs Princeton, Penn, Columbia, Yale etc. etc. etc.

Durf please stop

Old 01-22-2011, 07:36 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
I dont know about San Jose alone, but I didnt mention the high tech capital of the world........add to my previous post.

California easily. Not close.

In winter, I want to warm up so I head to Palm Springs or San Diego.
In summer, I want to cool down, so I head to the cool beach cities or the mountains. Whatever you want to do, you dont have to leave the state.

Beaches of all types. Desert resorts. World class alpine skiing. Greatest wine growing regions in the world. The best agriculture fruits/veggies in the world. Highest peak in the lower 48. Lowest point in North America. Year round outdoor activities. Varied and different urban experiences. Tallest and most remarkable trees in the world. Unique places; Lake Tahoe, Monterey Bay, Napa Valley, Mojave Desert, San Francisco Bay, LA/Hollywood, Catalina Island, Redwood Coast, Highway 1 Big Sur, Sierra Nevada Mountains, Yosemite, Great Sequoias, Gold Country, Central Coast/Santa Barbara.

There is no area the size of California in the United States that has as much diverse scenery as California. Not even close.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:57 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I dont know about San Jose alone, but I didnt mention the high tech capital of the world........add to my previous post.

California easily. Not close.

In winter, I want to warm up so I head to Palm Springs or San Diego.
In summer, I want to cool down, so I head to the cool beach cities or the mountains. Whatever you want to do, you dont have to leave the state.

Beaches of all types. Desert resorts. World class alpine skiing. Greatest wine growing regions in the world. The best agriculture fruits/veggies in the world. Highest peak in the lower 48. Lowest point in North America. Year round outdoor activities. Varied and different urban experiences. Tallest and most remarkable trees in the world. Unique places; Lake Tahoe, Monterey Bay, Napa Valley, Mojave Desert, San Francisco Bay, LA/Hollywood, Catalina Island, Redwood Coast, Highway 1 Big Sur, Sierra Nevada Mountains, Yosemite, Great Sequoias, Gold Country, Central Coast/Santa Barbara.

There is no area the size of California in the United States that has as much diverse scenery as California. Not even close.

CA is beautiful and has great cities, schools, industry and amentities. Some one choosing one or the other is absolutely correct.

Just one point, in terms of tech overall the areas of this corrider in the NE is actually pretty substantial. NYC, Philly, Trenton/Mercer, Newark NJ etc are among the top tech centers in the US and offer many jobs in this area, although often overshawdowed by other industries because of their prominance (Wall Street, Telecon, Pharma) Tech is ranked very high nationally in this area and there are a ton of jobs.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...tech-jobs.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...e-silicon.html

Milken Institute Publications - Research Reports - North America’s High-Tech Economy:<br> The Geography of Knowledge-Based Industries

Old 01-22-2011, 09:56 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,569 times
Polo89 and Infamous Past, I mean what I said. Look, the temps in San Jose was in the 70's on Jan 22, 2010 while the rest of you were frozen. As for Brooklyn, that little borough has absolutely nothing on San Jose or its suburban city, Palo Alto. San Jose single handedly, seriously, can be more fun and more desirable than the whole upper east coast. It has a vibrant downtown, parks, great weather, Santana Row, Great Mall, Great America amusement park, Raging Water park, Happy Hollow zoo and amusement park(that's right, a zoo amusement park) and Winchester Mystery House. What more do you need in a 300 sq. mile area? Don't forget Silicon Valley and Stanford university. There are lots outdoor stuffs with mountain trails and jogging paths. New York, combined with Philadelphia, has nothing on San Jose and its surrounding area. It's a good light on this beautiful state of California, no place like this anywhere on earth!

Old 01-22-2011, 09:59 PM

KidPhilly, Stanford is way better than Princeton and other university just mentioned. Just check out SJ, and you'll know Philly is creamed.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:35 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,015 times
The Tri State area without a doubt since there is so much stuff to do closeby along with a unique urban enviroment that is found almost nowhere else in the US.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:34 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
KidPhilly, Stanford is way better than Princeton and other university just mentioned. Just check out SJ, and you'll know Philly is creamed.
I would let you slide by if you just said "Stanford is better than Princeton/Yale".. but you added "WAY" better.
So.. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...ities-rankings
Bing bang boom- #'s 2, 3, and 4 = NJ/CT/NY (Stanford at #5 )

I wouldn't even try arguing that CA has a better education system than the tri-state region. CA's stunningly beautiful, why don't you just work with that for now.

Last edited by BPerone201; 01-22-2011 at 11:44 PM..

Old 01-23-2011, 12:38 AM

California has everything as follows: good weather, natural scenery, beautiful girls, friendly people, Hollywood, beaches, urban centers, parks, culture, national parks, great universities, lots of amusement parks and attractions, Golden Gate Bridge, cable cars, Hollywood sign on the hill, Silicon Valley and diversity. No tri-states can match what California alone has.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:24 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,883,925 times
I'd just like to remind everyone, some people like cold weather (like me)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City