Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ???
City 20 52.63%
Suburb 12 31.58%
Small Town 3 7.89%
Rural Areas 3 7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 03:02 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,161 times

Advertisements

Yeah, we have our preferences, our tastes, what about you ?

Look at the Americans tastes according to the Pew Center :
Suburbs Not Most Popular, But Suburbanites Most Content

Ever since there have been suburbs there have been harsh critiques of suburbs -- a common one being that they are suffocating places where people live lives of quiet desperation.
Well, most suburbanites apparently never got that memo.
Suburbanites are significantly more satisfied with their communities than are residents of cities, small towns or rural areas, according to a Pew Research Center Social & Demographic Trends survey that explores what Americans like -- and don't like -- about the places where they live.
The survey asks respondents to rate their community on eight characteristics: job opportunities; cost of living; a place to raise children; recreational and outdoor activities; shopping; the climate; cultural activities; and opportunities to meet people and make friends. It also asks for an overall rating.

Suburbs Not Most Popular, But Suburbanites Most Content - Pew Research Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 03:21 PM

I lived in rural areas / small towns during my entire life.
I like cities, they're cool, in my first post-studies years I'll live in one of them certainly (good experience, but not too long it's too noisy, dangerous, crowded, expensive..), but my dream : living in a suburb, it's like a small town but nearer cities..It's quite, beautiful, not too expensive, pretty crime-free..etc..Suburb = the american dream

Old 01-20-2011, 03:29 PM

This is the good thread.sorry for the mistake

Old 01-20-2011, 03:37 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
I like suburbs more for certain cities.

For Houston, definitely the suburban areas. Nothing against Houston, in the suburbs, people recognize that Houston is the top dog in the area and no contest really, but most people wouldn't ever live in the city of Houston either way. The city has some very pretty areas, and some average areas, and some trashy areas just like every city. Most people just want to stick to the generic and common, something that is comfortable and spacious and stick with the suburbs.

I live in the suburb of Sugar Land, TX. While I love the suburb I live in, I recognize Houston as the top dog in the area, with no contest really, and even though suburbanites here complain a lot about the "big bad monster city" they also see it for what it is. The suburbs would be useless without Houston.

For cities like Los Angeles, Houston, Atlanta, DEFINITELY Miami (unless its a condo on the shore), Dallas, San Jose, Oakland, Detroit, & Charlotte I would DEFINITELY pick suburbs over the city.

But for cities like Chicago, Boston, New York, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Seattle, Austin, & Pittsburgh, I would DEFINITELY pick the city over the suburbs just because of the "big atmosphere, and compact big city biz life style".

For cities like Phoenix, San Diego, Denver, Washington DC, & Tucson, I can live in BOTH the suburbs & the city and be extremely happy and content with it.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:38 PM

423 posts, read 645,863 times
City hands down, urban too not sprawl.
I like being able to walk to everything from bars, lounges, clubs, grocery, sit down resturants, hole in the wall carryouts and liquor stores, two subway stations, 8 bus lines, etccc

You just can't beat urban city convenience lol

Old 01-20-2011, 03:44 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I like suburbs more for certain cities.

For Houston, definitely the suburban areas. Nothing against Houston, in the suburbs, people recognize that Houston is the top dog in the area and no contest really, but most people wouldn't ever live in the city of Houston either way. The city has some very pretty areas, and some average areas, and some trashy areas just like every city. Most people just want to stick to the generic and common, something that is comfortable and spacious and stick with the suburbs.
I am not so sure about that. Houston has one of the highest city to metro populations in the US. the burbs are small and sparse compared to Burbs of other cities such as Atlanta, Miami, Boston, LA, Phoenix, Denver, DC, etc, etc Until recently more than Half of the metropolitan are population resided in the City

Old 01-20-2011, 03:55 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
I live where I live because it's technically a suburb, but at the same time it's like a neighborhood of a city (It's also one of the densest populated incorporated towns in the US). I like the mixture of both city/suburban where you're able to have a yard, you're close to the city, it's relatively quiet/safe, and nearly everything in town is in walking distance. Catching a bus into the city is also a breeze from where I live. It's really a nice town.

I wouldn't like living in straight up suburbia where PT sucks and nothing but houses and chains sprawl on and on to no end.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I am not so sure about that. Houston has one of the highest city to metro populations in the US. the burbs are small and sparse compared to Burbs of other cities such as Atlanta, Miami, Boston, LA, Phoenix, Denver, DC, etc, etc Until recently more than Half of the metropolitan are population resided in the City
No I mean the people who already live in the suburban areas of Houston wouldn't live inside the city anyways.

Houston is multiple different things all in once, as much as I love the city, the suburbs is where I can call home. Houston is one of those cities where the city life inside the city is for you, and the suburban life outside the city is for you, one or the other pretty much.

There's so much stark differences by personality of the city and suburbs, the suburbs are quiet, the city is energetic, the suburbs are moderate and conservative, the city is liberal and open, the suburbs are far away to be in the middle of the action, the city is the core region of the entire metropolitan area.

Houston like Los Angeles is a very unique place for suburbanites and city dwellers to feel what they can play around with and make a fast decision.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:01 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
No I mean the people who already live in the suburban areas of Houston wouldn't live inside the city anyways.
but couldn't you also say that for the people who already live in the city? That they are not willing to move out to the burbs??

Quote:
Houston is multiple different things all in once, as much as I love the city, the suburbs is where I can call home. Houston is one of those cities where the city life inside the city is for you, and the suburban life outside the city is for you, one or the other pretty much.

There's so much stark differences by personality of the city and suburbs, the suburbs are quiet, the city is energetic, the suburbs are moderate and conservative, the city is liberal and open, the suburbs are far away to be in the middle of the action, the city is the core region of the entire metropolitan area.

Houston like Los Angeles is a very unique place for suburbanites and city dwellers to feel what they can play around with and make a fast decision.
LOL, I don't think that is quite accurate. You don't know where the suburbs begin and the city ends when it comes to Houston

Old 01-20-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
but couldn't you also say that for the people who already live in the city? That they are not willing to move out to the burbs??
Exactly. You could say the same vice versa. Two different mindsets for two different people.
Quote:
LOL, I don't think that is quite accurate. You don't know where the suburbs begin and the city ends when it comes to Houston
I think it is. I would venture to say most people are familiar with outer ring suburban neighborhoods names such as: Cinco Ranch, Tel-Fair, Royal Oaks, Riverstone, Sweet Water, Lakes of Buckingham, and so on and so forth.

The city beginning and ending raises a good question but the densest areas of the suburbs are towards their more well known neighborhoods, more like a flagship for the suburbs to live up to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City