Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 01:41 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,974,015 times

Advertisements

Sports teams that are most representative of the overall city (your city)?

Pretty straightforward concept for a thread. Here's some criteria; MLB, MLS, NHL, NBA, NFL, tennis tournaments, car racing (I.E. Formula 1, Nascar, Indy 500, the Grand Prix, so on), motorcycle racing, fanboat races, surfing contests, skateboarding and rollerblading events, cricket teams, badminton teams, dodgeball teams, basically anything that counts as a sport and has either an event held in your city or a team of some sort that competes for something of relevance with other places.

College sports, professional sports, minor sports, and even private sports are all allowed. Just make a case why.

So what sporting event is culturally (or iconically or socially) most representative of your city? Explain why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 01:52 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,407,534 times
IMO:
Boston - Redsox
Dallas- Cowboys
LA- Lakers
New York- Yankees
San Francisco- Giants
Seattle- Seahawks

Old 03-30-2016, 02:38 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,595,503 times
Los Angeles is the Kobe Bryant of cities. People either have a real love or real hate relationship with LA, but no one can deny that he's one of the best of all time.

I wrote this in another thread:
San Francisco is literally the Steph Curry of cities. So small that no one wants to give it credit for anything, but does certain things so well that it's hard to deny its greatness.

Expand on it as you will. I'm a basketball nerd so I'm using the NBA as an exemplar.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:43 PM

Las Vegas: professional boxing and wrestling, followed by motorsports

Orlando: PGA Tour (Arnold Palmer Invitational)

Miami: Tennis tournaments (Sony Ericson Open) and Miami Heat

Indianapolis: Indy 500

Austin: College football, followed by BMX X-Games

Vancouver: NHL (the Canucks)

Portland: NBA (the Trailblazers)

Sacramento: NBA (Kings)

Old 03-30-2016, 02:46 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,449 times
Philadelphia was epitomized by some of the 'Broad Street Bullies' hockey teams, and the Eagles were linked with the hostile environment of Veteran's stadium - highlighted of course by the ever-famous incident of fans throwing snow balls at santa clause.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:48 PM

New York: Harlem Globetrotters (because the Knicks and Nets aren't doing anything)

Kidding. Kidding. Not really, but yeah, kidding.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:49 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,595,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
New York: Harlem Globetrotters (because the Knicks and Nets aren't doing anything)

Kidding. Kidding. Not really, but yeah, kidding.
I dunno man, the Nets really do represent Brooklyn Hipsters pretty well.

They're such an obscure team, that only hipsters can really truly appreciate it.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:54 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,181,377 times
The University of Delaware Fighting Blue Hens football team best exemplifies the state of Delaware (since DE is so small to begin with, I'll use the whole state rather than just Wilmington). A wealthy FCS (1-AA) squad, it is a nationally known team that is prominent in its division, but is still a half tier below and usually doesn't compete with the big boys, much like the state in general.

Nonetheless, it has produced championship teams, and several of its players have made their mark on the NFL (Joe Flacco, Rich Gannon, Mike Adams, etc), just like certain individuals have nationally (Joe Biden, Aubrey Plaza, Ryan Philippe, etc). And unlike the pro teams in the region (Philadelphia and Baltimore teams, primarily), the whole state rallies overwhelmingly behind them (yes, no one really cares for Del State, and I'm from Dover).

So powerful and wealthy, with several stand out teams and individuals produced that have made waves nationally, but overall, a half step behind the big boys--much like the state in general, in my opinion. Although a think a case could be made for Punkin Chunkin as well lol. Weird, quirky, a bit backwards, but surprisingly fun and intelligent.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
I dunno man, the Nets really do represent Brooklyn Hipsters pretty well.

They're such an obscure team, that only hipsters can really truly appreciate it.
Someone has to support them.

They built a new arena. Honestly, I wonder how many "Brooklyn" Nets fans there were prior to their move back into New York from New Jersey. It is basically like a new expansion team altogether, has to start from scratch to build-up a fanbase, no doubt it probably will given how populous Brooklyn is.

Logic, however, says they can do whatever they want but they'll always be second fiddle to the Knicks no matter what.

Chicago: MLB and NFL; Cubs and Bears

Houston: NBA; Rockets

Washington DC: NFL; Redskins

Toronto: NHL; Maple Leafs

Detroit: I want to say either Red Wings (NHL) or the Lions (NFL)?

Montreal: NHL; Canadiens

Ottawa: NHL; Senators

Edmonton: NHL; Oilers

Calgary: NHL; Flames

Atlanta: college football?

Old 03-30-2016, 03:26 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,523,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Philadelphia was epitomized by some of the 'Broad Street Bullies' hockey teams, and the Eagles were linked with the hostile environment of Veteran's stadium - highlighted of course by the ever-famous incident of fans throwing snow balls at santa clause.
hmm those were the old days. I feel more like the 2000s' Andy Reid Eagles are more representative of the city now. Slow and steady, with some reoccurring flaws.

As for events, I first thought of the Penn Relays or the Dad Vail but that too represents the old Philly (not that they aren't still great events but they represent the upper class).

I think the most representative event hasn't happened yet. This year marks the first ever International Unity Cup in Philly. 32 teams representing the countries that they come from.

Philadelphia looks to soccer to unite ethnic enclaves | Miami Herald
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City