Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area overall offers more?
Bay Area 80 28.07%
NYC 184 64.56%
Tie 21 7.37%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 01:07 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderr View Post
And yes I intetjected with LA because SF's have such a bloated sense of what San Francisco really is and I get so nauseous reading the boasting from San Franciscans. No it's NOT anywhere near a top tier WORLD CLASS city. Sorry.

Ironically or not (considering they're both at the top, ranking wise), there is more of a LA-NYC bond than there is LA-SF.

It seems more Los Angelenos would rather move alllll the way to NYC than to that "great" city of San Francisco to the north.

Number of Los Angelenos that moved to NYC 2008-2009: 4,021
Number of Los Angelenos that moved to SF 2008-2009: 1,847

Number of San Francisco residents that moved to LA 2009-2009: 2,070

SOI Tax Stats - Migration Data - California (http://www.irs.gov/taxstats/bustaxstats/article/0,,id=213845,00.html - broken link)

I moved from LA to SF and back. SF's a great city. I would most certainly rather live in SF or LA than NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 01:17 PM

224 posts, read 347,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I moved from LA to SF and back. SF's a great city. I would most certainly rather live in SF or LA than NYC.
Well some people voted for Ross Perot in 1996.
What you personally did has no bearing to any point.
This is about the general population.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:18 PM

818 posts, read 1,387,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Bear Mountain and Long Island ?

Oh there is also Snowboarding in the Poconos..that counts for NYC "area".

I've lived in NYC. SF is by far better for the outdoors person.
Bear Mountain and Long Island are as much part of NYC metro as Stanford, Berkeley, and Silicon Valley are of SF's. You said that surfing and mountain biking are not possible recreationally in NYC, and if you didn't say that or mean that then you most certainly implied it by the tone of your post. I disagreed, you can surf and mountain bike in the NYC area, the quality of the surf is nothing astonishing compared to the west but you can still do it if you have a desire to.

While Atlantic City isnt part of NYC's metro, NYC also has immediate access to one of the top gambling destinations in the continent. SF in comparison by drive time is very far from Reno or Las Vegas.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:20 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
What does what your personal thoughts and actions have with what people in general do?
Well, I'll go out on a limb here and say that since we are all sharing personal thoughts and opinions on this board, there is some relevance there.

Although i see that you've since amended the statement I quoted above.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:23 PM

224 posts, read 347,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I am shocked that you would even bring up the word 'slum'.....LOL

The Vegas strip is what Hollywood should be like.

Orlando's theme parks are what SoCals should be like.

San Francisco's Downtown is what LA's should be like.

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda.

*yawns*
and yet, SF is not and will never be on LA's level.
This is getting a bit repetitive.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Well some people voted for Ross Perot in 1996.
What you personally did has no bearing to any point.
This is about the general population.
And by proxy, the fact that millions of people choose to live in the Bay Area versus Los Angeles makes your argument irrelevant.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
This is getting a bit repetitive.
After having lived in the two, I feel as though SF stands on its own. It's not trying to be LA or NYC; it doesn't want to; and it does absolutely fine on its own. SF has enough going for it that it gets compared to cities/MSA's 5-10x its size and holds its own... it's obviously doing something - many things - right.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:38 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
And yes I interjected with LA because SF's have such a bloated sense of what San Francisco really is and I get so nauseous reading the boasting from San Franciscans.
And yet you have provided ZERO evidence of how LA is better?

Quote:
No it's NOT anywhere near a top tier WORLD CLASS city. Sorry.
Take a trip into these 2 downtowns and we'll see whose World Class.

Quote:
LA seems to have surpassed SF in population but nothing beyond that.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
All of this is irrelevant in light of the huge number of amenities and activities that SF and LA offer that are unrelated to the beach.

It's like there's this attitude that unless a city is NYC, it's a small, boring hovel and any additional amenities that it has that aren't present in NYC are frivilous, don't matter, etc.
Heh. Someone (think we can all guess who) repped me for this post and said, "YOU FINALLY GET IT. FINALLY. hick"

Them's some stones, kid. Real manly

Old 09-08-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
After having lived in the two, I feel as though SF stands on its own. It's not trying to be LA or NYC; it doesn't want to; and it does absolutely fine on its own. SF has enough going for it that it gets compared to cities/MSA's 5-10x its size and holds its own... it's obviously doing something - many things - right.
LOL, got another passive-aggressive rep in response to the above statement:

Quote:
gets compared to those cities by its own residents......
No. Plenty of other people around the world and the US hold it near the same level as well. I know that's hard to accept, but, just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it isn't the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City