Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Urban
Denver 19 8.09%
Minneapolis 32 13.62%
Pittsburgh 80 34.04%
Seattle 104 44.26%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:20 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh and Seattle are very close, on feel I gave the nod to Pittsburgh as the housing stock overall does feel more urban to me, at least with continuity, if I went off DTs the edge would have gone to Seattle for me. Both Seattle and Pittsburgh to me are the most urban in many ways after the big six in this country (LA is hrd to classify and is so much bigger so is probably ahead as well) with Detroit and Baltimore.

After would be Minneapolis and then Denver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 04:24 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Seattle
Pittsburgh/Denver Tied
Minneapolis (although probably tied as my favorite city out of this list)

Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Minneapolis has the 2nd highest population density of the bunch (Seattle is a TAD higher according to the 2000 Census), yet it probably is the 2nd least "urban" looking city (behind Denver). I think this is because Minneapolis is nearly 100% occupied (few vacant homes), there are quite a few multi-family structures in parts of the city that are not high-rises, and there are not too many barriers to development (except the lakes and parks, which actually does add up to a few square miles). Here's my take (re-take):

Seattle - technically the most urbanized, but looks like a glorified Denver (not as "rustic", lots aren't 25 feet wide like Pittsburgh)
Pittsburgh - technically the least urbanized, but looks like a traditional densely populated American city (narrow lots, buildings come up to the street)
Denver - has density/urbanity that looks like Seattle or Minneapolis but not as "tight" as Pittsburgh, not as many low-rise multi-family structures as Minneapolis, and not as many high-rises as Seattle.
Minneapolis - pretty similar density to Seattle, but much of it is low-rise and fewer barriers to development as any of the cities (except possibly Denver). It and Denver are combinations of old and new urbanism.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salif View Post
Which of these four cities would you feel most/least comfortable walking in at night and using public transportation all the time ?
To me, another thing determining urbanity is exactly that point where you feel safe during late PM hours and you encounter quite a few people on the streets and have access to mass transit at all times..
For me, it would be Minneapolis because I think it has the highest crime rate of the 4 cities and I KNOW there have been multiple occassions of people being attacked or killed on metro transit buses or trains. I take the bus all of the time and I prefer not to hop on past 9 o'clock if I can avoid it.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:37 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
Minneapolis is not that dangerous. In my neighborhood it is not uncommon to see women walking the streets by themselves at 1 in the morning.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Minneapolis is not that dangerous. In my neighborhood it is not uncommon to see women walking the streets by themselves at 1 in the morning.
That wasn't the question. The question was: "which is most dangerous" of the 4.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:03 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
I think the city of Seattle is perfect in terms of density. It has a real big city downtown with thriving with pedestrian activity and character. It's peripheral neighborhoods also have character with good urban nodes/commercial centers, small businesses, and the mass transit is finally being well developed (certainly ahead of Pittsburgh, although oddly Denver the least urban out of these four has the most ambition mass transit development). The peripheral neighborhoods of Seattle also have elbow room and single family homes to compliment the urban nodes and downtown. Seattle has abundant parkland, lots of trees, waterfront, mountain views, steep hills, and a gorgeous skyline. Yes I know Pittsburgh has a great skyline, big hills, and three rivers but Seattle’s topography is unparalleled. In a Goldilocks sense it's a perfect balance for a major city, not too spread with a dead downtown like Phoenix, but also not claustrophobicly crowded like Boston. It's just right.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 AM

^I tend to agree.....Minneapolis as well, but I'd like to see the density potentially double in my lifetime and I think it would still fit the bill.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:47 PM

178 posts, read 419,293 times
Seattle

Old 09-26-2012, 09:28 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Default A couple I shot around Seattle

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City