Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:24 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,644,955 times

Advertisements

I don't necessarily agree. Yes, San Diego has somewhat better weather and of course San Diego has a beach but unless you have plenty of money, I'd say Phoenix is a better choice.
I grew up near San Diego. I spent a lot of time there and yes, San Diego is a cool city but so is Phoenix. They both offer a quality of life that is very good but for a guy starting out, I'd say Phoenix is the place to be. The cost of living is much cheaper in Phoenix. Both cities have plenty of things to do and places to see. Entertainment is very good in both cities and if the OP ever want to purchase a home, he would be hard pressed to be able to do it in San Diego.
Overall, yes San Diego probably is better but what gives Phoenix the edge is the opportunities that are available for a person starting out or starting over.
Having a beach and somewhat cooler summers aren't the only things to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 09:29 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,939,702 times
How do you not necessarily agree? You said the same thing we did...that if you can afford it, San Diego is the better choice.

Obviously if you make $14/hr in Phoenix and $14/hr in San Diego, then Phoenix is a better choice as that money will o a lot further. But if you make good money and can afford San Dieo, why would you choose Phoenix? What does it offer above SD?

Old 01-24-2011, 10:27 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,644,955 times
Well yes, I suppose we are agreed but my point was that a person better make a LOT more money to be able to afford the same quality of life in San Diego as you would in Phoenix. That's all I was saying.
Both cities offer a lot.
There are several reasons I give my nod to Phoenix. The cost of living, far more open spaces and considering that California is in HUGE financial trouble, I think Cali will have no choice but to raise taxes in a big way. California has a huge burden to bear and without raising taxes in a big way or some sort of financial windfall, they will be in trouble for a long time. Just look at their pension system for starters. They are buried.
Arizona isn't in the greatest shape either but far better than Cali.
Phoenix has much to offer. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. Both cities would be a great place to live.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:36 AM

17 posts, read 50,567 times
It would be nice to have a beach, but not required. I did consider Los Angeles and San Francisco at some point, but after researching both of those cities, I figured they weren't right for me. I am sure they are nice cities, and have their good points and bad points, just like every other city, but neither really had what I was looking for.. San Diego, for me, had something that they didn't have..

I will probably head over to the San Diego section soon, so I can get more info on the city. Luckily for me, I tend to settle and adjust quickly. I am sure both Phoenix and San Diego are great ! But I guess, I am just going to have to weigh in the pros and cons of both and actually visit both..

Old 01-24-2011, 06:04 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,323 times
How often do you think the locals actually go to the beach? Especially on the weekends. I remember paying a lot just to park at beach, and it was real crowded and cold.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:49 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,568 times
With Phoenix, basically either you like it right away, or you never will. There's no such thing as getting used to Phoenix. Didn't happen for me over twelve long years. So go with your gut.

San Diego seems like it would be easier. There's something for everybody there.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:02 PM

121 posts, read 342,152 times
I can't afford SD but I'm still moving there. Never stopped me before. I lived in NYC for 7 years on my low salary I suppose I can live in SD as well.
I'm just sick of living in a place like Phoenix, of course SD is much more expensive. I just want to live in a city that I love instead of one I despise.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:41 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
San Diego's summer average temperature is 80F, winter average temperature is 65. Phoenix average temperature in summer is 102, winter average temperature is 60. San Diego weather trumps Phoenix. Plus, it has a beach. Choose San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City