Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Philadelphia 243 41.12%
Los Angeles 315 53.30%
Neither 33 5.58%
Voters: 591. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 07:24 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times

Advertisements

The Philly area even offers a rodeo style culture that you would mainly find in places like Texas. Do they offer this of authentic experience in Los Angeles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=ShiG062e6-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7atXI87cVA0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 07:58 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Philadelphia region and beaches. Check

Philadelphia region and mountains. Check

Philadelphia region and horse back riding. Check.

About The only thing LA has that the Philly area doesnt is the combination of ocean/mountains together .

I can get over that. Not that big of a deal.
Or a giant desert nearby...

Old 11-08-2017, 08:06 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The Philly area even offers a rodeo style culture that you would mainly find in places like Texas. Do they offer this of authentic experience in Los Angeles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=ShiG062e6-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7atXI87cVA0
It appears some places in the Inland Empire, no surprise there.

California Rodeos List of Events in CA

Old 11-08-2017, 08:11 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Philadelphia region and beaches. Check

Philadelphia region and mountains. Check

Philadelphia region and horse back riding. Check.

About The only thing LA has that the Philly area doesnt is the combination of ocean/mountains together .

I can get over that. Not that big of a deal.
Notice you said region. Actually my pics are in Los Angeles. Not 60 miles away. These are places we can go to on a daily basis as city residents. This again is why I love LA over Philadelphia or Kalamazoo Michigan. Big city amenities plus places like the ones I posted. Plus the great weather. For me it's LA all the way.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:34 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Notice you said region. Actually my pics are in Los Angeles. Not 60 miles away. These are places we can go to on a daily basis as city residents. This again is why I love LA over Philadelphia or Kalamazoo Michigan. Big city amenities plus places like the ones I posted. Plus the great weather. For me it's LA all the way.
Im extremely skeptical the beach pic you provided was taken in the city of Los Angeles. More likely it was taken in LA County which encompasses 5,000 sq miles which is basically the equivalent area of Cape May NJ to King of Prussia PA.

You have to look at the comparison from a regional standpoint.City to city is no good due to phantm arbitrary boundaries .

LA has a few iconic scenes mixed in with a whole bunch of really mediocre to below average landscape . Philadelphia area on the otherhand is gifted with uninterrupted emerald green hills + valleys for much of the year.

And getting Back to the statement that there is nothing to explore outside Center City Philly. That statement is false.

https://i.redd.it/62bq2s2pouuz.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7402/2...6209b198_b.jpg
http://capemay.com/magazine/wp-conte...08/surfers.jpg

Old 11-08-2017, 10:52 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
The city of Los Angeles has beaches . Lets make that clear. Breathtaking views and scenery are in the city where we have excellent hiking trails. Is there anything like the beautiful Griffith Observatory in Philadelphia which sits over 1100 feet above the city. Is there any natural place in Philadelphia where you can chill 1200 feet above the city? Again big city amenities and all the usual things that make a city great is all here. But those added things mentioned are what make LA even more special. Just my opinion. Also those nature and beach scenes in Pennsylvania and NJ are really not part of what I would call life in the big city.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:33 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
What sets Philadelphia apart in the US has little to do with its natural settings. The hills and rivers in the city can be nice, but that’s not much of a reason to visit. What Philadelphia has is a big city with a very tight street grid with many narrow streets and short blocks. That’s what really sets it apart. The closest thing to this is Brooklyn, but Brooklyn doesn’t have the narrow small streets and short blocks in as many parts, or the Villages area in Manhattan, but that’s a tiny area comparatively. Its pedestrian scale is like a major Japanese city kind of scale, but with straighter streets and brick rowhouse architecture.

Philadelphia’s an amazing walking city. It just needs some work in several neighborhoods, and a lot of work in a few.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-09-2017 at 03:45 AM..

Old 11-09-2017, 06:46 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
It doesn't matter how you "feel". LA is a league above Philly and more on par with a NYC. LA is the entertainment capital of the world, and it could be argued the cultural capital of the world.
More on par is not on par... My point was that anyone who thinks LA is NYC's equal is kidding themselves.

LA edges out NYC for entertainment and news, but cultural capital?! You have to be kidding me... Have you ever traveled outside of the US? Paris, London, Prague, Rome, etc.

New York is the only American city that could make a claim like that. LA is cool, but come on, you are giving the city waaaaayyyyy to much credit.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:37 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What sets Philadelphia apart in the US has little to do with its natural settings. The hills and rivers in the city can be nice, but that’s not much of a reason to visit. What Philadelphia has is a big city with a very tight street grid with many narrow streets and short blocks. That’s what really sets it apart. The closest thing to this is Brooklyn, but Brooklyn doesn’t have the narrow small streets and short blocks in as many parts, or the Villages area in Manhattan, but that’s a tiny area comparatively. Its pedestrian scale is like a major Japanese city kind of scale, but with straighter streets and brick rowhouse architecture.

Philadelphia’s an amazing walking city. It just needs some work in several neighborhoods, and a lot of work in a few.
I love Philly and having lived here for three years now, my only complaint on walkability is the enormous number of cars. You have all these narrow streets and every square inch of the city is painted with parked or moving cars. If Philadelphia would take some parking away for bikes and pedestrians, make more loading zones and work to reduce the number of multi-car families, it could really be so much better.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:04 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I love Philly and having lived here for three years now, my only complaint on walkability is the enormous number of cars. You have all these narrow streets and every square inch of the city is painted with parked or moving cars. If Philadelphia would take some parking away for bikes and pedestrians, make more loading zones and work to reduce the number of multi-car families, it could really be so much better.
I feel the same way. Also, mass transit needs to be improved accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City