Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The PNW or New England?
PNW 15 22.39%
New England 52 77.61%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 03:02 PM

1,347 posts, read 876,112 times

Advertisements

Would you say Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan are more similar to the PNW or New England?

Criteria can be culture, accents, weather, cities, scenery, history, demographics, and overall vibe etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2023, 03:25 PM

638 posts, read 347,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Would you say Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan are more similar to the PNW or New England?

Criteria can be culture, accents, weather, cities, scenery, history, demographics, and overall vibe etc
Definitely more like New England. Although Minneapolis has more of a PNW vibe in terms of some of the demographics and outdoor culture.

The scenery of the Midwest is really nothing like the PNW. The Upper Midwest is relatively flat and consists of some deciduous forests. This is more similar to New England. The PNW has much more dramatic scenery and is dominated by tall conifers. I also give a nod to New England for climate. The Midwest (just like New England) has of a continental climate not dominated by proximity to the Pacific Ocean.

Most of the cities (including their history and culture) in the upper Midwest seem more similar to the lay out of cities you would find in New England.

Old 07-11-2023, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
Definitely more like New England. Although Minneapolis has more of a PNW vibe in terms of some of the demographics and outdoor culture.

The scenery of the Midwest is really nothing like the PNW. The Upper Midwest is relatively flat and consists of some deciduous forests. This is more similar to New England. The PNW has much more dramatic scenery and is dominated by tall conifers. I also give a nod to New England for climate. The Midwest (just like New England) has of a continental climate not dominated by proximity to the Pacific Ocean.

Most of the cities (including their history and culture) in the upper Midwest seem more similar to the lay out of cities you would find in New England.
Would you say that St.Paul leans more PNW as well?

Old 07-11-2023, 04:31 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Climate/environment-wise, definitely New England.

Culturally, I'm leaning toward the PNW. Neither region has New England's white-ethnic population (or Caribbean/West African for that matter), the old-money vibe, or the reputation for brash and outspoken personalities. Both were settled around the same time (~1840s-50s), vs. two centuries before that for New England.

I don't see a whole lot of resemblance between Upper Midwestern and New England cities either, FWIW. They both have a lot of wood-frame houses (in contrast to Chicago, which is more brick), but so does the PNW. And neither region has New England's characteristic wood-frame 3-flats. Upper Midwest and PNW cities are largely on 90-degree grid plans, rare in New England outside a handful of places like Burlington, VT.

I got a PNW vibe when I visited Duluth, MN in 2021. It's nothing like Seattle but it reminded me of Tacoma or Everett, WA. I think I'll go PNW overall.

Old 07-11-2023, 04:48 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Culture wise PNW. Scenery and architecture probably New England.

Old 07-11-2023, 05:34 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
I would say New England. Especially to the three northern New England states, Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire. Also to Upstate New York. Basically, a New England light.

Thousands of lakes and large areas of forest, many small towns, similar local government systems are some of the similarities. The lack of the giant mountains as well as the desert areas of the PNW are more.

Old 07-11-2023, 07:25 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:

New England overall.

Minnesota: New England and Pacific Northwest

Wisconson and Michigan: New England

Yankeedom
https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...-states-2015-7

Old 07-11-2023, 08:10 PM

638 posts, read 347,315 times
Quote:
Would you say that St.Paul leans more PNW as well?
I would say out if three upper Midwest States Minnesota is the most like the PNW IMHO.

Interestingly a lot of people in Minnesota have ties to the PNW.

Old 07-11-2023, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
I would say out if three upper Midwest States Minnesota is the most like the PNW IMHO.

Interestingly a lot of people in Minnesota have ties to the PNW.
Both states have Scandinavian heritage. Wisconsin and the UP do too though.

Old 07-11-2023, 08:53 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Honestly, Minnesota doesn't remind me of either. MSP probably reminds me more of a PNW city than a Northeast city, with the exception of its older/most established neighborhoods. A vast majority of Minnesota is really a forested Great Plains State.

I mean, it is one of the few flattest States in the US. Most of it looks like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6120...6656?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.7707...1664?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.5291...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.4884...8192?entry=ttu

Wisconsin and Michigan are more uniformly hilly. Wisconsin with it's open and lush rolling hills in the interior part of the State, and Michigan with it's large hills and dunes that cover much of Central and Northern Michigan.

Some random thoughts - Beyond topography, Wisconsin's love of dairy and beer reminds me a lot of Vermont (Wisconsin dairy farmers drive a Ram, while Vermonts drive a Prius). And Michigan/Wisconsins vast amount of Great Lake coastline is reminiscent of Coastal New England, more than coastal PNW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City