U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 10:09 AM

4,811 posts, read 9,168,115 times

Advertisements

Here in California we have programs that people can use if they are too drunk to drive such as the "Tipsy Tow program" where they tow you and your car to your house.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 03:59 PM

1,939 posts, read 4,170,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
I'm surprised to see Charlotte, NC as third for drunk driving. My guess is that it's for around NASCAR race week.

Pretty funny actually.
Nothing at all is FUNNY about drunk driving.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:42 PM

65 posts, read 175,836 times
I'm not surprised to see San Jose in there. I live in San Jose and a few of my friends have had DUI driving a few blocks from the nightclubs in Downtown.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:58 PM

8,904 posts, read 13,312,123 times
I'm surprised Baltimore made the list. I live in a large of the region where most people commute locally vs into the downtown area and gas in my immediate area is usually actually sligtly below the national average. I think the ranking is because this area does sprawl out a lot and many people commute from exurban areas, including across the Pennsylvania border, into downtown Baltimore, and smaller numbers do commute between Baltimore and Washington, D.C. Many people have to commute from far away in order to be able to give in afforable single family homes in low density areas which is how most Americans prefer to live despite what our Democrat governor O'Malley believes. We do have high gas prices in some parts of the region, thanks to our tax-loving Democrat governor Martin O'Malley. I also wonder if these statistics take TOLLS into account since our Democrat governor is also very toll loving and he wants to make it a $8 roundtrip to commute across Baltimore harbor when similar tunnels and bridges in other states either are free (like the Talmadge bridge in Savannah, the Lake Pontchartrain causeway in Louisiana or the Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado).

The commute TIME for Baltimore I don't think is in the top ten. Los Angeles and DC have the longest TIME commutes. Philadelphia, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, San Francisco, Boston usually all rank higher.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:00 PM

8,904 posts, read 13,312,123 times
I can't belive Las Vegas is not on the drunk driving list.

I'm also curious about the countless hordes of people in Baltimore who do not work at all and whose daily commute is a walk to the welfare office and a stop at the liquor store on the way home.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 PM

12 posts, read 12,221 times
I'm really surprised NYC isn't on any of those lists.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 AM

11,288 posts, read 23,458,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
No way. All the cities on the drunk driving lists are home to some of the largest public universities in the nation as well as some of the most youthful cities in the country. It makes sense seeing Austin and Los Angeles and other places on there.

Something interesting to think about, urban dwellers on this forum who love their little "no water" and "gas prices" theory can have fun defending why Chicago a supposed urban city tops the list. I am going to post on it later but gas prices in Houston are some of the cheapest in the nation, gas prices in Chicago, no not really. So an article claiming Washington DC or Chicago as most consumptive and priciest and time consuming cities for traffic. What does that say for an era where gas prices are "on the rise"?
Well this list is about people who commute via car to work. It really doesn't mean much for those "urban dwellers" who are much more likely to take the train/bus. Or Metra people who live in the burbs and work downtown. Most of them only drive a few miles to the train station and then use that to get to work/back.

The list basically says if you drive your car to work, then metro Chicago sucks - which I would agree with having glanced at the traffic reports sometimes while I'm getting ready to go to work. I haven't had a car in almost 10 years, so I don't really know much about sitting in traffic.

The people this list pertains to are those who live in the city and work out in the burbs, or in an overwhelming about of the total cases, it's people who live out in the suburbs and then work in another distant suburb.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:27 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,819,714 times
Could one reason for California having a high rate of DUIs have to do with stricter standards for what consitutes a DUI?

In CA the legal limit is .08, I've heard in many states it is .1 -

I think another reason is CA has made a point of cracking down on DUIs, that could inflate the numbers also.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:35 AM

23,214 posts, read 24,209,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Could one reason for California having a high rate of DUIs have to do with stricter standards for what consitutes a DUI?

In CA the legal limit is .08, I've heard in many states it is .1 -

I think another reason is CA has made a point of cracking down on DUIs, that could inflate the numbers also.
all states currently enforce to .08 BAC (21 and over), I believe some states enforce to an even lower standard for drivers <21, Michigan's .08 statute will expire in October 2013.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:37 AM

3,756 posts, read 4,141,990 times
I am surprised to see a city like Indianapolis up there for drunk driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or