Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:59 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I love these hollow Texas city threads speculating about how Houston will overtake Chicago in this, how Dallas will overtake Chicago on that, how San Antonio will overtake Chicago elsewise.

Huh?

I see a lot of predicting, but really very little doing. There's a lot of hot air coming out of Texas. What I find really interesting -- and no one from Chicago ever brags about it (it's assumed) is that Chicago -- in many ways is "bigger' and more important in many critical ways than the whole "EVERYTHING IS BIG HERE in TEXAS" of Texas. Chicagoans really don't take much note of Texas cities but there seems to be an inordinate amount of insecurity about Texas cities towards Chicago (and also NYC, LA, and DC). Why is that?

Try worrying about yourself and improving the hand you were dealt rather than targeting and belittling other cities. We got many problems of our own that you do not want. Texas cities are pretty unique in their own right-- no need to conastantly use a measuring stick against established cities -- that lets face facts-- event if you do catch in population, or in # of multinational cos., or number of steer testicles eaten per person, you're really never going to be perceived as equals.

Apologies to the sincere Texas fans. Just all these demeaning "Chicago to be overtaken by Tyler, Texas" threads is gettin' old ya'll. Enjoy the Super Bowl in Dallas.
I don't know what you are talking about, but Dallas IS doing a huge deal by way of logistics and distribution improvement, and all I am asking is are they on the right track to becoming what they set out to be, the premiere hub in that field.

If you don't like cities improving themselves then don't read these threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 08:59 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
That's how it is in Texas. I hardly hear anyone talk about Chicago.
Except for half a dozen CD threads.....

Old 02-01-2011, 09:00 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,942,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Minneapolis had the first INDOOR mall (Southdale -- I live right next to it)....I know that.
NorthPark Center was the largest indoor mall in the world when it was built. He might have thought it was the first.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:01 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,273 times
Quote:
That's how it is in Texas. I hardly hear anyone talk about Chicago.
Then the few Texans on this site differ from most Texans - they really like to talk about Chicago.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:02 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I generally don't make any "City X will overtake City Y" threads but I know HtownLove well enough to say he didn't make this thread to put Chicago down, but simply ask a hypothetical question.

People on this website are sensitive, and when I first started off I would be too, and with some topics like illegal immigration, I still am quite a bit. But mostly I try to be as emotionless as possible, and generally I treat it for what it is, and what I like about it. This is an information website, I get a great chuckle out of people who hate things like "skylines" and they still go into a thread about it to say, "a skyline doesn't make a city great" its called an inferiority complex. I see people on this site, every time I post having a lot of their sensitivity exposed.

It's an information site, you're going to see hypothetical questions regardless or not. And for the record, I am from Chicago and am saying that. This thread isn't insulting to Chicago at all, and I myself have learned quite a good amount by it, I enjoyed the map for the "central shipping centers". I like threads like these, but I think threads like these should be treated emotionless, its not a bash or gloat thread just a hypothetical scenario thread about an occurrence.

And another thing, no one in Chicago talks about anything besides their city, no one in Houston talks about anything besides their city, same with Dallas and every other city in America. Most people in all reality, all everyday typical Americans have the same schedule, and that is, wake up, eat, go to work or school, come back, work on homework or whatever or a report for the office, eat dinner, and go to sleep, and do that again the next day. That's how it goes.
I'm not from Chicago but most of my family lives there and it's my home away from home, and I take this thread as more of a stance of pride that somebody else wants to be as/more prominant than Chicago. It's a benchmark (or even a pipe dream), it's okay to dream. The fact that it COULD happen makes it all the more exciting for Texans.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:03 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
I generally don't make any "City X will overtake City Y" threads but I know HtownLove well enough to say he didn't make this thread to put Chicago down, but simply ask a hypothetical question.

People on this website are sensitive, and when I first started off I would be too, and with some topics like illegal immigration, I still am quite a bit. But mostly I try to be as emotionless as possible, and generally I treat it for what it is, and what I like about it. This is an information website, I get a great chuckle out of people who hate things like "skylines" and they still go into a thread about it to say, "a skyline doesn't make a city great" its called an inferiority complex. I see people on this site, every time I post having a lot of their sensitivity exposed.

It's an information site, you're going to see hypothetical questions regardless or not. And for the record, I am from Chicago and am saying that. This thread isn't insulting to Chicago at all, and I myself have learned quite a good amount by it, I enjoyed the map for the "central shipping centers". I like threads like these, but I think threads like these should be treated emotionless, its not a bash or gloat thread just a hypothetical scenario thread about an occurrence.

And another thing, no one in Chicago talks about anything besides their city, no one in Houston talks about anything besides their city, same with Dallas and every other city in America. Most people in all reality, all everyday typical Americans have the same schedule, and that is, wake up, eat, go to work or school, come back, work on homework or whatever or a report for the office, eat dinner, and go to sleep, and do that again the next day. That's how it goes.
oh settle down DANNYYYYYYYYY. I qualified my post with an apology. quit taking yourself so friggin/ seriously. Re-read my post for context. Re-read. Re-read.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Then the few Texans on this site differ from most Texans - they really like to talk about Chicago.
I don't know why. All Texans are not the same. They might talk about Chicago in different parts of Texas.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
exactly. I came across some article while researching the Panama Canal expansion and I saw many on how Dallas and Texas as a whole is improving its infrastructure, and on its way to becoming the premiere hub in the country.
All I wanted to know is how are they doing in pursuit of that goal. Its not like I am wetting my undies in excitement over anywhere passing anywhere.

Quote:

I know right.

Where did I put Chicago down? I made a cheap shot or two at LA, but from the very first post I was impartial as to which city would end up on top because I don't care which city will come out on top, I am interested in Dallas and how its logistics are coming along.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
NorthPark Center was the largest indoor mall in the world when it was built. He might have thought it was the first.
Please ignore trolling posts, you are throwing fuel to the fire and they will taunt you more.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Please ignore trolling posts, you are throwing fuel to the fire and they will taunt you more.
Ok, I will ignore them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City