Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is More Diverse?
NYC 82 66.67%
Toronto 41 33.33%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:26 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Totally agree with your post except for the UN declaration... They stated Toronto was amongst the most diverse and multicultural cities in the world - they never made the declaration of any city being the most diverse. Art Eggleton erroneously made that statement and misconstrued what was actually said. It just kinda stuck from then on.
Ah, never knew that. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 09:20 AM

787 posts, read 1,696,054 times
New York is more diverse than any other city in the world, hands down. Every and any nationality can be found there.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:55 AM

528 posts, read 1,184,852 times
people voting NYC because they dont know better. Toronto isn't as big, but it DEFINITELY is more diverse.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:59 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,373,314 times
the city of New York suffers from a nearly total lack of Canadians......this makes it non-diverse

Old 07-19-2013, 10:05 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
people voting NYC because they dont know better. Toronto isn't as big, but it DEFINITELY is more diverse.
I agree. I mean, the UN, which is BASED in New York City, even said for 5 years in a row that Toronto is the most diverse city in the world. No arguing with that!

Old 07-19-2013, 10:09 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
Even LA beat NYC in diversity recently: The Top 10 Most Diverse Cities in America

Toronto has a Little Azores and Little Malta. I think that proves it is more diverse than LA or New York City.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:26 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Even LA beat NYC in diversity recently: The Top 10 Most Diverse Cities in America

Toronto has a Little Azores and Little Malta. I think that proves it is more diverse than LA or New York City.

Haha, I dont think that proves anything. Here in DFW, Cleburne, Texas has a little Marshall Islands and Euless, Texas has a little Tonga.....

Old 07-19-2013, 10:52 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,845 times
I have no doubt that NYC is going to win to poll, because it seems most people on this forum think NYC is the apex of all things urban, including diversity. And I'm sure many of the people voting have never even been to Toronto, or have just passed through while visiting the Falls or going up north. The majority of New York's residents are white (which, in itself includes many different ethnicities and nationalities), black, and Hispanic. The balance is made up of a very diverse population, but I don't believe the numbers indicate that New York is more diverse than Toronto.

Of course, how one defines diversity is also important. Is it the % of foreign born residents, the number of nationalities represented, the % of residents who are not of British ancestry, the relative balance of nationalities, integration of ethnic groups throughout the city and prevalence of mixed-race relationships, etc?

Either way, I don't believe either city can claim to be the run-away winner. New York may beat out Toronto under some definitions of "diversity", but I believe Toronto better fits the bill as "most diverse" in the majority of its manifestations. Not only does it have a larger foreign-born population, a more balanced range of ethnicities, a more integrated urban landscape with nothing like the ethnic ghettos one finds in New York, and a number of diaspora communities that are the largest in the world; it's white population is at least as ethnically diverse as New York's and though it has a smaller black and Hispanic population, its smaller population boasts ethnic groups that are the same size or even larger than New York's, despite being a much smaller city. I don't have the numbers on front of me, but I imagine that if you include the immediate suburbs, Toronto's Chinese, South Asian, Italian, Somali, West Indian, Portuguese/Brazilian, Greek, Eastern European (namely Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Bosnian, Croatian, Bulgarian, Romanian and Hungarian), and Middle Eastern / Muslim populations are roughly equal to or even greater than New York's, despite the massive population difference.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:01 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
NYC is just much larger so it will win virtually all total number arguments. Percentages it will win some, but Toronto, LA and SF will win some. Foreign born means a little, but who cares really. Does it matter if you are 2nd generation?

Old 07-19-2013, 11:17 AM

787 posts, read 1,696,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I have no doubt that NYC is going to win to poll, because it seems most people on this forum think NYC is the apex of all things urban, including diversity. And I'm sure many of the people voting have never even been to Toronto, or have just passed through while visiting the Falls or going up north. The majority of New York's residents are white (which, in itself includes many different ethnicities and nationalities), black, and Hispanic. The balance is made up of a very diverse population, but I don't believe the numbers indicate that New York is more diverse than Toronto.

Of course, how one defines diversity is also important. Is it the % of foreign born residents, the number of nationalities represented, the % of residents who are not of British ancestry, the relative balance of nationalities, integration of ethnic groups throughout the city and prevalence of mixed-race relationships, etc?

Either way, I don't believe either city can claim to be the run-away winner. New York may beat out Toronto under some definitions of "diversity", but I believe Toronto better fits the bill as "most diverse" in the majority of its manifestations. Not only does it have a larger foreign-born population, a more balanced range of ethnicities, a more integrated urban landscape with nothing like the ethnic ghettos one finds in New York, and a number of diaspora communities that are the largest in the world; it's white population is at least as ethnically diverse as New York's and though it has a smaller black and Hispanic population, its smaller population boasts ethnic groups that are the same size or even larger than New York's, despite being a much smaller city. I don't have the numbers on front of me, but I imagine that if you include the immediate suburbs, Toronto's Chinese, South Asian, Italian, Somali, West Indian, Portuguese/Brazilian, Greek, Eastern European (namely Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Bosnian, Croatian, Bulgarian, Romanian and Hungarian), and Middle Eastern / Muslim populations are roughly equal to or even greater than New York's, despite the massive population difference.
This is patently false. For some of year groups, Toronto has equal numbers or less than L.A. And Chicago, much less NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City