U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You cityWASP)Socialites,Upper crust,Celebrity Movers and Shakers integrated scene?
Los Angeles 4 9.76%
Chicago 3 7.32%
Dallas 4 9.76%
Houston 6 14.63%
New York 11 26.83%
Atlanta 12 29.27%
Miami 4 9.76%
San Francisco 8 19.51%
Boston 3 7.32%
Philadelphia 3 7.32%
New Orleans 2 4.88%
Seattle 3 7.32%
Washington D.C. 10 24.39%
Charlotte 2 4.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:02 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,971,416 times

Advertisements

I sometime browse through the city magazines that showcase the life of the rich and famously wealthy, elite, movers and shakers in the city of Atlanta.One thing I have been impressed(even surprised) is that it seems that for the most part you dont have the purely W.A.S.P type settings in the city between movers and shakers who make things happen.Its not uncommon to see some minorites that are not the help ,mixing with which of course in every city a majority white wealthy community. Yet With Atlanta large population of Black professionals those who choose to,seem to integrate with ease and relative comfort in the most uptight of settings.How do you perceive this in your city?Or what cities do you see this much more in or not at all.If you can list some links that showcase how the integrated wealthy elite come together for charity, business,or just plain party.

Personally I think L.A. would be first.You have Hispanics and blacks that seem to be in the upper echelons of society.Maybe San Fransisco too but only more Asians.

A friend who happens to be an African American woman owns and operates the most popular website on Atlanta Wealthy elite.She s the black woman in the fourth pic.
Welcome | Instant Social Gratification

Jezebel Magazine-Atlanta
The NEW Jezebel Magazine ONLINE
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 10:16 AM

10,563 posts, read 14,467,159 times
Here in SF, if you pick up a socialite mag and flip through it, you'll see lots of Asians and Indians/Pakistanis in the mix, too: lots of Asians who bought buildings and land in the last century and now, their families are real estate millionaires by default. Wealthy kids go to good schools, which means they grew up with white socialites, and a lot of them (especially women) end up marrying successful white people who will bring them into their social circle, and they bring their Asian friends with them. There are also a lot of Asian- and Indian-Americans who work in the tech sector and have become very wealthy.

LA and NY are somewhat integrated, as well. Back in my hometown of Boston... very little. The blue bloods are their own social clique and it's not open to people who weren't born into it.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 02-08-2011 at 11:27 AM..

Old 02-08-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Here in SF, if you pick up a socialite mag and flip through it, you'll see lots of Asians and Indians/Pakistanis in the mix, too: lots of Asians who bought buildings and land in the last century and now, their families are real estate millionaires by default. Wealthy kids go to good schools, which means they grew up with white socialites, and a lot of them (especially women) end up marrying successful white guys. There are also a lot of Asian- and Indian-Americans who work in the tech sector and have become very wealthy.

LA and NY are somewhat integrated, as well. Back in my hometown of Boston... very little. The blue bloods are their own social clique and it's not open to people who weren't born into it.
I guess i hit it pretty much on the head about San Francisco and Boston.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:40 AM

10,563 posts, read 14,467,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I guess i hit it pretty much on the head about San Francisco and Boston.
Yeah, I spent my teen years in Cambridge, MA and while you certainly have Asians, Indians, Blacks, and Latinos who go to Harvard and MIT and stay in the area... they are almost never part of the elite social cliques after college.

For instance, you may see a black kid and a few Asians at a prep school like BB&N playing lacrosse out on the field or mulling about after class. You'll see them sitting outside the Au Bon Pain across from Harvard Yard with their white significant other, doing their homework together and munching a pan chocolat. Now, go to a popular mingling spot on Newbury Street that attracts the financial elite of the area and see how many blonde women are still glued to the arm of a black guy, see how many blue-eyed guys still have an Asian gal glued to their arm... just see how many nonwhite people are there in the first place: probably none. It only gets more like this as you progress through the years.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah, I spent my teen years in Cambridge, MA and while you certainly have Asians, Indians, Blacks, and Latinos who go to Harvard and MIT and stay in the area... they are almost never part of the elite social cliques after college.

For instance, you may see a black kid and a few Asians at a prep school like BB&N playing lacrosse out on the field or mulling about after class. You'll see them sitting outside the Au Bon Pain across from Harvard Yard with their white significant other, doing their homework together and munching a pan chocolat. Now, go to a popular mingling spot on Newbury Street that attracts the financial elite of the area and see how many blonde women are still glued to the arm of a black guy, see how many blue-eyed guys still have an Asian gal glued to their arm... just see how many nonwhite people are there in the first place: probably none. It only gets more like this as you progress through the years.
Yes.Boston seems like Savannah or Charleston."Old Money",Souther Aristocracy at its finest.Atlanta was like this in 1980's its far from that now.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:53 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,427,335 times
Well, that got covered pretty quick. Yup, Boston's elite social scene is not particularly integrated.

Boston: The home of the Bean and the Cod. Where the Lowells talk only to Cabots and the Cabots talk only to God.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:12 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,124,536 times
how would i know? those people keep to themselves, probably because they know they would get torn limb from limb by the jobless masses if they showed their faces on the street.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 PM

4,037 posts, read 9,410,525 times
New York is very integrated. Maybe not certain ultra elite buildings on the Upper East Side, but places like the Hamptons are strikingly diverse. I think it's because New York is a mecca for celebrities and the super rich. Yes, there still is old-money set, but their influence is comparatively small when they're competing with multi-billionaires and A-List celebrities.

I think it's because when rich people move to New York they adopt New York style and sophistication (which is usually why they move in the first place). Donald Trump-style garishness is more the exception than the rule. Also, New Yorkers prize brains and talent over money. New York high-society types and celebrities are very smart and talented, not just rich and famous.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:31 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,563,216 times
there is definitely a big Old-Money WASP community in Memphis but I'd say the Old-Money Catholic and Jewish communities are fairly integrated into the WASP community. Theres not much separation besides the places of worship. They're in same country clubs and go to the same schools (Catholic and non-Catholic schools are fairly mixed between the 3 groups)

Old 02-08-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
there is definitely a big Old-Money WASP community in Memphis but I'd say the Old-Money Catholic and Jewish communities are fairly integrated into the WASP community. Theres not much separation besides the places of worship. They're in same country clubs and go to the same schools (Catholic and non-Catholic schools are fairly mixed between the 3 groups)
Memphis has such a big black population.Are they represented as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City