Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,131 times

Advertisements

For living situations, which would you prefer?

I’m a young professional and was lucky enough to get identical job offerings from a government agency in two locations: Minneapolis and Baltimore. I only have a few days to choose which area I want to live in. I grew up right outside of Minneapolis (and live there currently), while I have only visited the D.C.-Baltimore area for two days. That said, I want to work in D.C. eventually and see Baltimore as a chance to see what it’s like.

However, I know no one in the Baltimore area (my closest friends would be in Boston), and my family and friends still live in the Minneapolis area. As for climate, I hate Minnesota winters but enjoy the greenery. I’m not familiar with Baltimore’s climate as much, but I’m assuming winters are milder but overall has lower air quality.

All considerations add up about equal each direction for me, and so I’d like to hear your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 04:47 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,692,491 times
Baltimore gets a lot of flak it doesn't deserve, it's an awesome city with a lot to offer, and close to a lot of other awesome spots.

However, Minneapolis is significantly more affordable in decent areas, and likely more breathable too, so I'd probably pick that, as it is an awesome city otherwise too.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:22 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,828,921 times
I think Minneapolis I overrated. I liked the city but I was expecting more. Never been to Baltinore.

I am very biased though, my ideal type of city is a hot, on the ocean, preferable with a touch of exotic or cosmopolitan and with a lot flavor and diversity, hence why I'm moving to Miami which is the opposite of Minneapolis.

I can see Minneapolis being a nice place to live, but don't give in too much into they hype. I find cities like Milwaukee, St. Louis and Cincy a lot more interesting and interesting as places to live, but Minneapolis has them beat in jobs and quality of life.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:22 PM

10,117 posts, read 9,997,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semono View Post
For living situations, which would you prefer?

I’m a young professional and was lucky enough to get identical job offerings from a government agency in two locations: Minneapolis and Baltimore. I only have a few days to choose which area I want to live in. I grew up right outside of Minneapolis (and live there currently), while I have only visited the D.C.-Baltimore area for two days. That said, I want to work in D.C. eventually and see Baltimore as a chance to see what it’s like.

However, I know no one in the Baltimore area (my closest friends would be in Boston), and my family and friends still live in the Minneapolis area. As for climate, I hate Minnesota winters but enjoy the greenery. I’m not familiar with Baltimore’s climate as much, but I’m assuming winters are milder but overall has lower air quality.

All considerations add up about equal each direction for me, and so I’d like to hear your opinions.
First and foremost, and most importantly, if you were in the DC area, then you weren't in the Baltimore area. Baltimore is a highly underrated city with plenty to see and do rivaling neighboring cities. Baltimore is most definitely warmer than Minneapolis, but I would consider winters in Baltimore warm by any definition; it can get mild sometimes when a warm front comes thru during the winter. Summers are hot and humid, as is everywhere on the East Coast due to the Bermuda High planting itself over the Atlantic Ocean during the summer months. If you have questions about Baltimore just hit me up.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:03 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,181,090 times
These are two options that I find quite charming and livable. I wouldn't say I'm extremely familiar with either metro but I have been to both of them multiple times recently, including extended stays dedicated to exploring the areas. So while it was as a visitor and on a superficial level, I have gathered enough of an impression of both to feel like I can claim I would be happy living in either.

I think both regions offer plenty of the typical millennial attractions: walkability, urban vibrancy, hipster/indie neighborhoods, and some of your typical big city amenities in the arts/culture/sports categories. I would prefer Baltimore's weather and the geographic proximity to the entire east coast, but MSP does feel a bit more cosmopolitan. Baltimore's rowhouses offer density and architectural beauty that I don't think MSP can match. However, Baltimore also gives me the vibe that there are two very different worlds living side by side....and I wouldnt want to spend too much time in half of the metro. MSP didn't seem to have such a stark contrast between the have and have nots.

One other note: for the most part, I wouldnt think that living in Baltimore will give you that much perspective on what it's like to live in DC. Other than the fact that you could visit it often to see what it's like...but just saying that living in Baltimore wouldnt be all that much like living in DC, except for some broad geographic similarities.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:20 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,171,169 times
If you've lived around Minneapolis all your life then why stay? You mostly know what you have and what you'll get. Honestly I'd recommend the Baltimore job. You might never get an opportunity like this so why use it to experience more of the same? Try a new city. Baltimore has a ton to offer and is a criminally underrated city. It's also your cheapest living option for the largest, most populated, and most popular urban agglomeration in the country (NE corridor, complete with all the amenities you could dream of within a 4 hour trip if not less (usually less). Take this as advice and not a city comparison-go Bmore.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:24 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,284,654 times
Unless there's something really tying you to Minneapolis, go to Baltimore. You can always go back if family is still in your hometown.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:37 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,884,743 times
Weather is much more mild in the winter in Baltimore. And if family or other factors aren't going to keep you closer to home, I would recommend considering the location of both jobs, the type of housing you'd want, whether you want to live in a walkable area or drive, consider amenities in both cities, COL, etc.

Those are all things you can research, and they're going to be more important than everyone's random opinion.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:42 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,548,959 times
Considering that Minneapolis is one of the few cities in the Midwest that doesn't make me want to hang myself, I'd say it beats Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City