Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Detroit vs New Orleans vs St. Louis vs Kansas city vs Omaha
Detroit 12 11.11%
New Orleans 30 27.78%
St.Louis 28 25.93%
Kansas city 29 26.85%
Omaha 9 8.33%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:36 AM

49 posts, read 158,609 times

Advertisements

Please rate this cities and write your opinion. Which city has the best downtown, architecture, charm, safety, shopping, nightlife, bright future etc.

thank you guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,401,167 times
i picked detroit

Old 02-16-2011, 08:42 AM

49 posts, read 158,609 times
Detroit? why? I have been only to New Orleans and Detroit...and I am just wondering why you picked detroit. It is interesting city with charm, but I find New Orleans much prettier... Detroit seems to be so sad and runned down...

Old 02-16-2011, 08:50 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,401,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by european27 View Post
Detroit? why? I have been only to New Orleans and Detroit...and I am just wondering why you picked detroit. It is interesting city with charm, but I find New Orleans much prettier... Detroit seems to be so sad and runned down...
idk to be honest the only 2 cities only our list that seem interesting are new Orleans and Detroit. I guess i picked Detroit because i like the fact that its more urban and from what i hear Detroit has some excellent suburbs.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
1 Saint Louis
2 Kansas City
3 New Orleans
4 Detroit
5 Omaha

Old 02-16-2011, 10:07 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,922 times
Quote:
Please rate this cities and write your opinion. Which city has the best downtown, architecture, charm, safety, shopping, nightlife, bright future etc.

thank you guys
I think all of these have great downtowns, architecture, and charm. Bright Future is the real question to me:

I think Kansas City is quietly becoming a major player.

If the thread was just which do I prefer it would be Detroit, Kansas City, St Louis, New Orleans, Omaha. But with that criteria of bright future...

Detroit is grim at this point still and only time will tell if it will recover. Economy is down and Population is down.
New Orleans is struggling to recover still with a shifting population still trying to balance out.
St Louis has been making very strong economic gains but minimal populatio growth.
Omaha is strong and growing but Warren Buffet is also getting older and it will be interesting to see how Omaha is affected by the end of his era. It might not cause any changes but hard to say yet.
Kansas City however saw strong economic and population growth as well as quietly created the nation's 3rd largest stock exchange supporting now a bit over 10% the US Stock Market.

Detroit had -1.9% GDP :: -1.1% MSA Pop
Kansas City had +1.3% GDP :: +12.61% MSA Pop
Omaha had +1.3% GDP :: +10.75% MSA Pop
St Louis had +2.6% GDP :: +4.83% MSA Pop
New Orleans had -0.5% GDP :: -9.61% Pop

So overall I'd say St Louis is top with Kansas City in 2nd and Omaha in a close third.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:03 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,193,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I think all of these have great downtowns, architecture, and charm. Bright Future is the real question to me:

I think Kansas City is quietly becoming a major player.

If the thread was just which do I prefer it would be Detroit, Kansas City, St Louis, New Orleans, Omaha. But with that criteria of bright future...

Detroit is grim at this point still and only time will tell if it will recover. Economy is down and Population is down.
New Orleans is struggling to recover still with a shifting population still trying to balance out.
St Louis has been making very strong economic gains but minimal populatio growth.
Omaha is strong and growing but Warren Buffet is also getting older and it will be interesting to see how Omaha is affected by the end of his era. It might not cause any changes but hard to say yet.
Kansas City however saw strong economic and population growth as well as quietly created the nation's 3rd largest stock exchange supporting now a bit over 10% the US Stock Market.

Detroit had -1.9% GDP :: -1.1% MSA Pop
Kansas City had +1.3% GDP :: +12.61% MSA Pop
Omaha had +1.3% GDP :: +10.75% MSA Pop
St Louis had +2.6% GDP :: +4.83% MSA Pop
New Orleans had -0.5% GDP :: -9.61% Pop

So overall I'd say St Louis is top with Kansas City in 2nd and Omaha in a close third.
Not to undermine Buffett as he would be a big deal in any major metropolitan area, but Omaha has a total of nine fortune 1000 companies headquartered here with five in the top 500. Buffett represents one in Berkshire Hathaway, but Omaha also has Union Pacific, Con Agra, Peter Kiewit, Mutual of Omaha, TDAmeritrade, West Corporation, Werner Enterprises and Valmont Industries.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:12 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
Not to undermine Buffett as he would be a big deal in any major metropolitan area, but Omaha has a total of nine fortune 1000 companies headquartered here with five in the top 500. Buffett represents one in Berkshire Hathaway, but Omaha also has Union Pacific, Con Agra, Peter Kiewit, Mutual of Omaha, TDAmeritrade, West Corporation, Werner Enterprises and Valmont Industries.
Thats why I said it might not cause any change at all.

Thing is he's not like your average CEO or even super CEO - when Bill Gates goes nothing will change at Microsoft but guys like Warren Buffet and Steve Jobs - they are the company.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:20 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,193,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Thats why I said it might not cause any change at all.

Thing is he's not like your average CEO or even super CEO - when Bill Gates goes nothing will change at Microsoft but guys like Warren Buffet and Steve Jobs - they are the company.
Word is David Vokal from Midwestern Energy and on Omaha's MECA board is going to be his successor. Vokal is not like Buffett as his public speaking skills are poor and tends to really get into politics.

That said, Vokal seems to do a good job where he has been and hopefully if he does take over that he will continously do so.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:22 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,054 times
Quote:
no offense but if Detroit seems so sad and run down why would you put it in this thread? I mean you seem pretty shocked that someone picked Detroit. If your negatives override your positives about a place why include it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City