Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 06:35 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times

Advertisements

My apologies if this has already been asked here, but I couldn't go through all of the threads.

So which state in the SE is the reddest of the red, and what are you basing your answer on?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 06:54 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Going by the Cook Partisan Voting Index it would probably be Alabama. Also studies by Gallup, I believe, indicated Alabama has over 50% church attendance and that 75% of them believed the Bible was literally true.

My home state of Arkansas also tends to be quite socially conservative. Arkansas gave fairly strong support to a measure that forbade unmarried couples, including all gays/lesbian couples, to adopt. Their Democratic Congressman, one Senator and one Rep, both seem to be at least moderately Anti-Abortion. Arkansas was one of the only states where a sizable majority of Democrats, and a majority of people under 30, believed the Bible was literally true.

Mississippi is also possible as it tends to come out high in these kinds of measures too.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:56 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,669,820 times
This a tough one, so many choices! If you count Mississippi as Southeastern (rather than South Central) that would probably be it. But, South Carolina never ceases to amaze me in its reactionary culture/voting, etc.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:09 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Im gonna say South Carolina based on what Ive seen in the news over recent years.

Ya know there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to a state's political leanings. After all, its their business to legislate how they think is right for them.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:11 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
All of them except Florida. Florida is a swing state. Georgia, LA, MS, and Virginia are strictly conservative.

The thread title should be "which is the most liberal southeast state".

Old 02-21-2011, 09:26 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
All of them except Florida. Florida is a swing state. Georgia, LA, MS, and Virginia are strictly conservative.

The thread title should be "which is the most liberal southeast state".
Uh, have you ever been to Florida (particular North Florida)?

Look at what they've been up to lately:

Florida judge overturns health bill

Florida Governor Rejects Stimulus Money for High-Speed Rail | Africana Online: Breaking News, U.S., Politics, Finance and More

As for the actual answer, it's a duel between Alabama and Mississippi.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Uh, have you ever been to Florida (particular North Florida)?

Look at what they've been up to lately:

Florida judge overturns health bill

Florida Governor Rejects Stimulus Money for High-Speed Rail | Africana Online: Breaking News, U.S., Politics, Finance and More

As for the actual answer, it's a duel between Alabama and Mississippi.

ummm, North Florida is not the only part of Florida.

Central Florida and the I-4 corridor is a blend of liberals and conservatives. Why do you think presidential candidates campaign in Florida every election season? It's because Florida is a swing state. It could go both ways. In fact, it's the only swing state in the SE.

The mayor of Orlando is a Democrat. Allan Grayson represented my district, and he lost because the Democrats stayed home this past election.

Florida has the biggest transplant population in the SE with Georgia following. That explains why the state is not pure conservative.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
ummm, North Florida is not the only part of Florida.

Central Florida and the I-4 corridor is a blend of liberals and conservatives. Why do you think presidential candidates campaign in Florida every election season? It's because Florida is a swing state. It could go both ways. In fact, it's the only swing state in the SE.

The mayor of Orlando is a Democrat. Allan Grayson represented my district, and he lost because the Democrats stayed home this past election.

Florida has the biggest transplant population in the SE with Georgia following. That explains why the state is not pure conservative.
That's all well and good, but as you noted Georgia also has a high transplant population (along with North Carolina). Which as an odd reasoning to go with given that you stated Georgia to be conservative.

The way I see it, there is no State in the Southeast that could be called Liberal yet (even though I wish for that sort of thing given I am a lifelong member of the Democratic Party). Politically, we have three states that are on the edge, and the rest that are super Conservative.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:15 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Thanks for all of your replies. We are considering relocating to the SE and are very conservative for the most part, although I wouldn't necessarily say Republican, since both parties have pretty much dropped the ball lately and they are giving all politicians and their respective parties a bad name.

Anyway, we have always lived in a traditionally blue state and would like to spend at least part of our lives in a red state to balance it out, lol. Right now we are looking at the extreme NW suburbs of Atlanta (Cartersville, Acworth, etc.), which I'm told are very conservative. Other places we are considering are upstate SC, which I have been told is about as far right as it gets, and the Nashville area, which I believe has pockets of both liberal and conservative folks.

Thanks again!

Old 02-21-2011, 04:27 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Thanks for all of your replies. We are considering relocating to the SE and are very conservative for the most part, although I wouldn't necessarily say Republican, since both parties have pretty much dropped the ball lately and they are giving all politicians and their respective parties a bad name.

Anyway, we have always lived in a traditionally blue state and would like to spend at least part of our lives in a red state to balance it out, lol. Right now we are looking at the extreme NW suburbs of Atlanta (Cartersville, Acworth, etc.), which I'm told are very conservative. Other places we are considering are upstate SC, which I have been told is about as far right as it gets, and the Nashville area, which I believe has pockets of both liberal and conservative folks.

Thanks again!
Those are all pretty good options. I don't know where you live now but be aware that what's conservative in some parts of the country may be more moderate in other parts. For instance, conservatives from the NE might find conservatives in the SE to be very different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City