Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which are Most Similar?
Baltimore & Boston 2 2.47%
Baltimore & Philadelphia 34 41.98%
Boston & DC 3 3.70%
Boston & NYC 3 3.70%
Boston & Philadelphia 17 20.99%
DC & NYC 1 1.23%
NYC & DC 1 1.23%
NYC & Philadelphia 16 19.75%
Other 4 4.94%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 05:58 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,405 times

Advertisements

I know you meant large northeast cities, but I'd say these cities have more in common with each other than the big ones:

Reading
Camden
Wilmington
Trenton
Lancaster
Allentown

I know these aren't the superstar big cities of Boswash, but they do share a ton of similarities at block level, architecture, demographics, histories, etc.

(Old rowhome, corner store, higher crime, minority, riots in the 60s, fall from industry, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 06:42 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Philadelphia, in my opinion is the connection between them all. Without Philadelphia or if it didn't exist, there would be more stark differences between all the cities in the Bos-Wash Corridor.
I think you're onto something here, especially since there's a reason Pennsylvania is nicknamed the Keystone State.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:41 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I agree. While New York definitely has urban features/architecture/neighborhoods that are very similar to Boston and Philly, it's just on such a ridiculously massive scale. Since Downtown Crossing and Center City Philly feel much more like Manhattan than any areas in Baltimore and DC, I think the downtowns and surrounding neighborhoods are what truly draw a link between Boston and Philadelphia. Think Back Bay v. Rittenhouse Square; Beacon Hill v. Society Hill; Cambridge v. University City; Independence Hall v. Faneuil Hall. They're obviously not carbon copies of each other, but they are extremely reminiscent of each other in terms of history, structure and significance.

As far as the outer neighborhoods of Philadelphia (South Philly, far West Philly, North Philly), I definitely see much more of a Baltimore comparison, while Northwest Philadelphia is highly reminiscent of Northwest DC and Northeast Philadelphia is highly reminiscent of Queens. Now that I really think about, there really are strong elements of every major BosWash city in Philly.
This post makes sense. I can see some of the similarities between, say, Society Hill and Beacon Hill. However, Center City is such a tiny portion of the city that I hesitate to say that we really have that much in common with Boston.

I also think your observations about South and North Philly are spot on. They definitely look a lot like East Baltimore. The Northwest does resemble Northwest DC (and particularly the Rock Creek Park neighborhoods) and the Northeast does look very much like Queens.

These are just the physical aspects of the city, though.

Demographically, Philadelphia is very different from Baltimore. Baltimore has virtually no Asians, no Hispanics, and no West Indians. Philly has Korean, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Puerto Rican and Mexican enclaves. We also have the second largest Italian, Irish and Jamaican populations after NYC.

Culturally, I think we're different from New York, but much more like New York than Baltimore. I guess that's why Domino's Pizza is always pitting us against Brooklyn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUQV3...eature=related

Old 02-27-2011, 03:15 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Snitch View Post
I'm glad D.C. is southern....

You honestly could never call Baltimore that since it has so much in common with Philly and parts of NYC.
Are you serious???

Whats so Southern about it??? does these pictures resemble more of what you'll see in the North or South???

Old 02-27-2011, 03:45 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
While I do see elements of NYC, Philly, Boston and Baltimore as reflective of one another, each of them are distinct and unique to me. I tend to agree with the earlier poster who finds cities such as Wilmington, Allentown, Trenton etc. interchangeable.

To me, Washington is the outlier on this list as it doesn't have that east coast "feel" I get when I'm in one of the other four. The overwhelming presence of the government buildings makes DC physically like no other city. I also think that the culture is different, as DC has never been a major manufacturing city.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:25 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
The overwhelming presence of the government buildings makes DC physically like no other city.
I agree, but I also think that was the plan from the jump though. I think you'll find that DC is more East Coast within its neighborhoods than it is Downtown by all the Govt. Buildings because downtown near those Govt. buildings isn't the "Real DC", its just where ppl go to work. When you Venture into the neighborhoods you'll find that they characterise the East Coast a bit more than Downtown does, plus theirs no Govt. Buildings

Old 02-28-2011, 01:26 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
can u tell which is Philly and which is Baltimore??

http://www.baltimorebrew.com/publish/wp-content/themes/bbrew/scripts/thumb.php?src=http://www.baltimorebrew.com/publish/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/auchentoroly-houses.jpg&w=590&zc=0 (broken link)

Old 02-28-2011, 01:34 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
I don't think D.C. resembles any of the Northeast cities. D.C. is mid atlantic to the core which puts it in it's own category. But I do think NYC and D.C. are the most important cities in the nation so I voted D.C. and NYC.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:36 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Mr. Redd, you can find all of those housing styles in Philly but my guess is that they are all in Baltimore? One thing I have noticed is that Baltimore rowhouse blocks tend to be much longer while Philly's blocks tend to be separated by small side streets and more corners.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:43 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don't think D.C. resembles any of the Northeast cities. D.C. is mid atlantic to the core which puts it in it's own category. But I do think NYC and D.C. are the most important cities in the nation so I voted D.C. and NYC.

Once again you appear to be in the minority on this topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City