Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF Bay Area's position.
#2, Ahead of Washington 44 14.15%
#3, After Washington 39 12.54%
Neither 228 73.31%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:57 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Have you ever left the bay? Seriously with all these delusional remarks..

Detroit is still one of the most important cities sure I think SF is more important but they are still in same tier. Houston, Boston, Philly, Atlanta all have industries SF doesnt top them in, energy, education, airline, federal mint... while I do think SF is slightly more important it is by no means a runaway

Its not just the industries, its the cities themselves. San Francisco isn't the second densest city in the country by accident... its far more chalk full of urban amenities across the board than Atlanta or Houston could ever hope to be in the foreseeable future. Detroit's only saving grace is the auto industry, which obviously has no effect on how nice or pleasant the city itself is currently (or rather it has too much of an effect... Detroit is the definition of a rustbelt city).

And yes, I've left the bay numerous times. Last thanksgiving I went to DC & Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 11:58 PM

818 posts, read 1,388,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
It definitely is a landslide over Detroit, Miami and Dallas. Why Infamous Past would even assert that they're on the same level as San Francisco is beyond me.

And Houston gets made into a lot more than it actually is here... its not on the level of Dallas or Atlanta, let alone San Francisco.

I already said that Boston and Philly are arguable.
Get out more, SF is most certainly in the same tier as Boston, Houston, Philly, Atlanta, DC, Detroit, Miami, etc

Your assertion on Houston is also wrong it has a larger economy than Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, Detroit and tied with Boston and Philly. Houston is just one step below your SF in corporate headquarters and tied with Dallas both ahead of Atlanta, Miami, Detroit, Boston and also boosts the second busiest seaport in the country and ninth in the world and is the western hemispheres capital on energy with oil and gas. Houstons economical clout reaches above that of Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami but your delusional rants make you look like a fool

You already just proved you havent left SF before.. get out and rediscover the world outside of your SF box

Old 03-04-2011, 12:00 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
And you don't think people would be able to recognize San Francisco? Seriously?
I really don't. That's my opinion.

Quote:
It's not on the economic level of San Francisco city, let alone the San Francisco Bay.
Agreed...and in terms of political and cultural aspects, the Bay isn't on the same level as Berlin...so...

Quote:
I never claimed they were equals. However, in some aspects they are comparable. This is what I said before.
They aren't really comparable though in my opinion...people compare SF and Paris on an aesthetic basis...SF may be beautiful but Paris is insanely beautiful. Being similar doesn't mean they're comparable...for example, Boston shares similarities with London, but they are not comparable...

Old 03-04-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Get out more, SF is most certainly in the same tier as Boston, Houston, Philly, Atlanta, DC, Detroit, Miami, etc

Your assertion on Houston is also wrong it has a larger economy than Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, Detroit and tied with Boston and Philly. Houston is just one step below your SF in corporate headquarters and tied with Dallas both ahead of Atlanta, Miami, Detroit, Boston and also boosts the second busiest seaport in the country and ninth in the world and is the western hemispheres capital on energy with oil and gas. Houstons economical clout reaches above that of Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami but your delusional rants make you look like a fool

You already just proved you havent left SF before.. get out and rediscover the world outside of your SF box

lol at how your story keeps changing... when did DC end up in the list?

And for the fifth time, I already said that Philly and Boston are in the same tier. However, the others are not.

And big whoop, Houston has a bigger economy than Atlanta and Dallas. Does that make it a better city? Some of you seem to be forgetting that people actually live, eat and sleep in these cities. I could care less if Houston has a big oil industry. If the city sucks then who cares. Houston doesn't suck but its not as good of a city as ATL or Dallas.

And you haven't proved jack. I've probably been to more states than you.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I really don't. That's my opinion.

Agreed...and in terms of political and cultural aspects, the Bay isn't on the same level as Berlin...so...

They aren't really comparable though in my opinion...people compare SF and Paris on an aesthetic basis...SF may be beautiful but Paris is insanely beautiful. Being similar doesn't mean they're comparable...for example, Boston shares similarities with London, but they are not comparable...

So because the Golden Gate Bridge isn't in this picture:

http://slowmuse.files.wordpress.com/...nfrancisco.jpg

you can't recognize it as San Francisco? Right.

And culture in regards to what? If you can demonstrate what significant impact Berlin culture has had on the world outside of WWII then I might be inclined to agree with you.

And beauty is subjective... there are going to be some people who find Paris unbearably ugly just as there are people who find SF unbearably ugly. However, the two are consistently rated as two of the most beautiful cities on the planet. So...

Old 03-04-2011, 12:10 AM

818 posts, read 1,388,519 times
Quote:
lol at how your story keeps changing... when did DC end up in the list?
My story isnt changing the NYC stands along and then is LA and Chicago everything else is the next tier. Learn something about it
Quote:
And for the fifth time, I already said that Philly and Boston are in the same tier. However, the others are not.
Says you? You dont know what your talking about and you have disclosed that much to us in this thread. Continue on with your mindless diatribe
Quote:
And big whoop, Houston has a bigger economy than Atlanta and Dallas. Does that make it a better city? Some of you seem to be forgetting that people actually live, eat and sleep in these cities. I could care less if Houston has a big oil industry. If the city sucks then who cares. Houston doesn't suck but its not as good of a city as ATL or Dallas.
So cities are important because they are better than others? Does that make SF better than LA, because many will say its better than LA. For your assertion of "big whoop" you just cant deal with facts being put against you, but with your mindless diatribes in this thread and delusion to think SF is comparable to LA or Chicago which is laughable I expected nothing short from you.
Quote:
And you haven't proved jack. I've probably been to more states than you.
IDGAF where you think youve been, lay off the drugs because you dont know anything your talking about

Old 03-04-2011, 12:17 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
So because the Golden Gate Bridge isn't in this picture:

http://slowmuse.files.wordpress.com/...nfrancisco.jpg

you can't recognize it as San Francisco? Right.

And culture in regards to what? If you can demonstrate what significant impact Berlin culture has had on the world outside of WWII then I might be inclined to agree with you.

And beauty is subjective... there are going to be some people who find Paris unbearably ugly just as there are people who find SF unbearably ugly. However, the two are consistently rated as two of the most beautiful cities on the planet. So...
WOW..What a stunning pic...no mistaking where that is.

In fact, I dont think any city in the world is as closely associated with any type of residential architecture as SF is with victorian homes.

Great observation.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
My story isnt changing the NYC stands along and then is LA and Chicago everything else is the next tier. Learn something about it

Says you? You dont know what your talking about and you have disclosed that much to us in this thread. Continue on with your mindless diatribe

So cities are important because they are better than others? Does that make SF better than LA, because many will say its better than LA. For your assertion of "big whoop" you just cant deal with facts being put against you, but with your mindless diatribes in this thread and delusion to think SF is comparable to LA or Chicago which is laughable I expected nothing short from you.

Who made this discussion limited to "importance"? You? Last time I checked the criteria for this thread was "recognition, influence, importance and power."

San Francisco is definitely more recognized, influential, important and powerful than Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas or Detroit. Philadelphia and Boston are the only ones that are not clear cut.

If one is using the metros, then the only metros that are as or more influential, important, recognized and powerful than the Bay Area are New York's, LA's, Chicago's, DC's, Philly's and Boston's. This has already been proven throughout the thread many times. Why some of you continue to argue it like it hasn't is more laughable/ridiculous/delusional/questionable than the amount of times you've used the above 4 terms.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
IDGAF where you think youve been, lay off the drugs because you dont know anything your talking about

Where I think I've been? Interesting...

Speaking of that Baltimore trip...

//www.city-data.com/forum/balti...more-pics.html

Old 03-04-2011, 12:28 AM

10 posts, read 11,130 times
Aside from New York, no other American city should compare themselves to Paris. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City