Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF Bay Area's position.
#2, Ahead of Washington 44 14.15%
#3, After Washington 39 12.54%
Neither 228 73.31%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 09:35 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Ok, but Tesla has a major presence in Reno too.

Also Google's NYC office is larger than its Mountain View office. And they have offices all around the world.
Apple has a massive presence in Austin.
Amazon's HQ1 is in Seattle, with HQ2 being split being NYC and DC and other smaller offices opening around the country.

So yes, Silicon Valley is important to the tech industry and the world. But my major point is that even the companies strongly associated with the Bay still have a very large national and global presence that could sustain themselves somewhat without the Bay Area HQ. Therefore, the Bay's actual importance is not as high as people there would like to make it sound.
My point was look at where these companies are being created that tells the full story. Google has more employees in NYC, but look at where it's HQ is as I said earlier it's just a secondary hub the same way Moscow, and Shanghai are as well. The Bay Area is saturated that's the main reason for companies branching out .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 09:51 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
My point was look at where these companies are being created that tells the full story. Google has more employees in NYC, but look at where it's HQ is as I said earlier it's just a secondary hub the same way Moscow, and Shanghai are as well. The Bay Area is saturated that's the main reason for companies branching out .
And that's exactly why SF is not above NYC, LA, Chicago or DC nationally.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:37 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
And that's exactly why SF is not above NYC, LA, Chicago or DC nationally.
So I guess we're down to Chicago and DC for #3 spot. In which case someone convince me on Chicago being the #3 "relevant" city over Washington and it's surrounding region. Other than the obvious it has larger city and MSA population. Otherwise I see very little to convince me Washington DC isn't top 3 relevance in the nation, even if more people live in Chicago overall.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:54 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
So I guess we're down to Chicago and DC for #3 spot. In which case someone convince me on Chicago being the #3 "relevant" city over Washington and it's surrounding region. Other than the obvious it has larger city and MSA population. Otherwise I see very little to convince me Washington DC isn't top 3 relevance in the nation, even if more people live in Chicago overall.
More Fortune 500 companies and practically being a megacity I guess.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:21 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Chicago also has a massive derivatives exchange(CME Group) that owns trading platforms in New York and London. Most people on this board don't understand the impact that has on US and global markets.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:40 PM

143 posts, read 290,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Chicago also has a massive derivatives exchange(CME Group) that owns trading platforms in New York and London. Most people on this board don't understand the impact that has on US and global markets.
As someone else also said, it’s not as sexy as tech, but it’s the primary transportation and logistics hub for the country and one of the most important intermodal ports in the world.

“Five international airports, seven Class I railroads carrying 50 percent of the nation’s freight, the third largest intermodal port in the world, and the third largest interstate highway system in America make Illinois the country’s undisputed leader in transportation assets.”

https://siteselection.com/cc/illinoi...istics-hub.cfm

Old 01-22-2019, 05:58 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceboyzero View Post
As someone else also said, it’s not as sexy as tech, but it’s the primary transportation and logistics hub for the country and one of the most important intermodal ports in the world.

“Five international airports, seven Class I railroads carrying 50 percent of the nation’s freight, the third largest intermodal port in the world, and the third largest interstate highway system in America make Illinois the country’s undisputed leader in transportation assets.”

https://siteselection.com/cc/illinoi...istics-hub.cfm
Yep. This. If anything, Chicago and DC tie for #3. I'd still put Chicago over DC, but just ever so slightly. SF is comfortably 5th after those two. If NYC or LA disappeared, the country and possibly parts of the world could come to a standstill. If DC or Chicago disappeared, the US would be devastated, but for different reasons. Chicago would bring the country to a standstill economically, but LA and NYC could keep the coasts running. DC would bring the county a standstill politically, but, correct me if I'm wrong, Denver is set to take over already? I think if either disappeared, it wouldn't be as catastrophic as NYC or LA because there is at least some place to take over for it temporarily, though it would be very poor at doing it in the immediate future. However, those places that could take over are very limited, if existent at all in matching the ability of Chicago or DC. If SF disappeared, there are places all over the world that could temporarily keep up the tech of the world. The internet and touch would suffer for a bit, but I don't think it would bring the country or world to the same level of standstill as NYC, LA, Chicago or DC.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:43 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
The "LA Basin" is the population of LA County only.
Actually "LA Basin" only refers to the parts south of the mountains so it doesn't include the SF Valley, nor does it even include the SG Valley.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:12 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Fortune 500's don't make a city alpha level etc , LA is a prime example of that.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:25 AM

27 posts, read 21,066 times
It's like 5th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City