Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I feel that_________has the best cities.
Virginia 202 50.50%
North Carolina 198 49.50%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 09:29 AM

290 posts, read 1,159,348 times

Advertisements

Dont compare us to NC please, I moved to Wilmington from Newport News. Maybe im just not a fan of the southern way and southern accents. But I really dont like it, and this is supposedly "NC's Best Kept Secret", I would rather Virginia be compared to Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 04:36 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times
I know Arlington, VA is technically a county - not a city.. but it's by far one of my favorite areas in the entire United States.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:43 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
Dont compare us to NC please, I moved to Wilmington from Newport News. Maybe im just not a fan of the southern way and southern accents. But I really dont like it, and this is supposedly "NC's Best Kept Secret", I would rather Virginia be compared to Maryland.
1) Newport News is Southern as well. Obviously Wilmington, which is also Southern, simply has a different flavor.

2) All of NC isn't like Wilmington. All of VA isn't like Newport News; there are VA towns that epitomize that brand of Southern that you so despise. Both states are definitely comparable on certain levels.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:05 PM

542 posts, read 991,624 times
I live in VA so my opinion might be biased, but I do prefer the old urban density of Richmond's downtown and fan districts and Norfolks Ghent neighborhood. Also old town Alexandria is a really cool area in all of NOVA. I also like the general history of many of the cities and their location on the eastern seaboard, and also being right next door to D.C. However I am always envious of Charlotte's amazing skyline! The buildings that are there actually are unique and interesting and attractive. Greensboro just didn't appeal to me, nothing against it. Winston-Salem was pretty cool though. It seemed to have more of the "city" look that I like. I've never been to Asheville, but I think Roanoke would be very comparable from what I've heard. It's been years since I was in Raleigh, but I don't really have many distinct memories from there except that it was kind of bland. Though it has an amazing job market and intellectual community. So, both might be equal in their own unique ways but just that you can usually get to New York within either 5 to 7 hours from most of our cities tips the scale to Va for me.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
1) Newport News is Southern as well. Obviously Wilmington, which is also Southern, simply has a different flavor.

2) All of NC isn't like Wilmington. All of VA isn't like Newport News; there are VA towns that epitomize that brand of Southern that you so despise. Both states are definitely comparable on certain levels.
It's in the south technically, but its much more of a mid-atlantic city, trust I lived there for a long time I know, especially considering the large military presence of people from other places and the general influx of northerners.

On top of everything the proximity to I-95 corriridor DC/Bmore/Philly/NYC adds to it. DC could almost be considered a Virginia city. NC is no match, well except for the strip clubs!! Oh boy, I might be in one in Wilmington tonite!! lol

Old 07-07-2009, 10:01 AM

Are the strip clubs in Wilmington like that? LOL

Old 07-11-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Are the strip clubs in Wilmington like that? LOL
Yessir

Old 07-11-2009, 03:09 PM

229 posts, read 520,707 times
Why do people in Virginia think that NC is southern while they are not? Or am I missing something here?

Old 07-11-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
Why do people in Virginia think that NC is southern while they are not? Or am I missing something here?
Just because of NoVa, which geographically constitutes a very small part of the state.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:16 PM

229 posts, read 520,707 times
Oh, I see. Being up here in the north, Virginia was always consider southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City