Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
New York & Philadelphia 80 57.55%
Los Angeles & San Diego 59 42.45%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 05:17 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia, New York and everything in between is the most economically powerful and populous region in the country. The greater area has everything and IMO nothing can compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 06:36 PM

940 posts, read 2,026,960 times
^^ I agree, they don't compare--but stuff doesn't need to compare to be more desirable.

To me it's like Coke and Mountain Dew. Which is more popular/profitable/classic/american? Coke, of course. Can Mountain Dew compare? Of course not. But is Mountain Dew trying to be like Coke?...

I drink Mountain Dew.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 PM

^^I definitely agree. People will like what suits them. San Diego is probably my favorite city that I haven't been to. But on the criteria listed the only categories that LA/SD really come out on top are natural features such as weather, waterfront, scenery and even then people will disagree.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
^^I definitely agree. People will like what suits them. San Diego is probably my favorite city that I haven't been to. But on the criteria listed the only categories that LA/SD really come out on top are natural features such as weather, waterfront, scenery and even then people will disagree.
And there are only about 3 or 4 categories that NY/Philly come out on top of; mass transit, downtown activity, economy, and possibly education. The rest are debatable.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:25 PM

940 posts, read 2,026,960 times
2e1m5a:

right, but that's why the criteria on these vs. threads are so silly. They assume that everyone in the world would want to live in NYC, completely ignoring things like local culture/flavor/lifestyle/etc.

I can completely admit that NYC is a superior city to Los Angeles. But I will always like LA more because of its local cultural landscape. IMO NYC is 10X more impressive and LA is 10X more interesting. These threads usually just take into account the "impressive" parts.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
2e1m5a:

right, but that's why the criteria on these vs. threads are so silly. They assume that everyone in the world would want to live in NYC, completely ignoring things like local culture/flavor/lifestyle/etc.

I can completely admit that NYC is a superior city to Los Angeles. But I will always like LA more because of its local cultural landscape. IMO NYC is 10X more impressive and LA is 10X more interesting. These threads usually just take into account the "impressive" parts.
I agree. People spend too much time talking about things that are featured on different levels in MANY cities but don't talk about things that are unique in different cities. The uniqueness of a city is what draws me to it.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:13 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,277,642 times
I'd go with the big dog, SO CAL! I'd be bored to death if I had to live on a concrete island with 8 million other people, and freeze my ass off in winter.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:35 AM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Philadelphia, New York and everything in between is the most economically powerful and populous region in the country. The greater area has everything and IMO nothing can compare.
Exactly. To me, NYC + Philly is a blowout compared to LA + SD. Save the latter for a vacation or possible retirement. That's about it.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:53 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
- Weather LA+SD

- Scenery LA+SD

- Economy NY+Philadelphia

- Parks LA+SD

- Waterfront NY+Philadelphia

- Nightlife-Tied

- Safety-Tied

- Downtown activity-NY+Philadelphia

- Shopping-Tied

- Diversity-Tied

- Housing stock NY+Philadelphia

- School systems (K-12) NY+Philadelphia

- Higher education (Colleges & Universities) NY+Philadelphia

- Mass Transit NY+Philadelphia

- Niche Industry (What are they for either?)--Finance & Entertainment? I dunno but New York is big in everything.

- Pace of life-Tied

- Quality of life-Tied

- Cost of living-Tied

- Dining scene-Tied

Either one is just fine by me.

Good Post!!! I'm from Philly and have been to NYC many, many times and have lived in LA for 15 years & hit Sandy too many times especially with frequent training at Pendelton.. I love both and they're night & day in certain ways and that's what makes them what they are. A Tie for me!!

Old 05-22-2011, 04:01 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,834 times
NYC/ Northern NJ alone are the most powerful economically by a large margin. If you add in south Jersey and Philly, the 90 mile zone is unparalleled anywhere in the US, even if you combined LA, SD, and OC with Chicagoland (#3). This is coming from a former Chicagoan and current Angelino.

NYC and Philly are among the two oldest "western" cities in the country. LA is right behind it (1780 considered modern LA), but LA and San Diego are really 20th century cities. The models behind the choices are completely different.

NYC/Philly are both compact with urban cores that have grown outward. They are both ethnically driven, blue collar, industrious, etc. They are what I consider "old school American."

LA and San Diego are spread out and car based. The city cores are not as easily defined as they are both upper middle density all over the place. They are ethnically driven but in a different sense. Lots of cultures fused together versus separate and distinct which is found on the east coast. LA and San Diego are the "America of the future."

By America of the future, I don't mean they will succeed and the East Coast fails. I just think the East Coast will become more ethnically fused rather than maintaining separate and distinct neighborhoods and customs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City