Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is a better set up of amenities?
All in one area as it is around Harris County 11 61.11%
Some here and some there as it is in DFW 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:18 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well then I think your example of uni-modal/core centric was a poor choice
that is not an example, that is what you are supposed to be comparing.

I am not comparing DFW and GH for the zillionth time.

okay let me put in in words my 5 year old sister would understand.

do you like your things to be found in one heap or do you like to find some things here and some things there (notice the absence of certain cities).

use any darn city you want, just don't tell us how dense your neighborhood is. WE KNOW

Do you have this much difficulty answering a waiter when he asks what you would like to order? Its a simple question one node or multiple ones, which do you like better when searching for things. And I am talking about as a whole. I am not talking about if you are already in donut shop and you are looking for a donut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 12:32 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
It would have been a lot better if you labeled this as City X and City Y instead of Houston and Dallas. Using real-world examples invite posters to run in here, guns blazing, talking about why their city is a better example of ____. The fact that you decided to use two Texas cities means you're begging for this to happen. Hou and DFW are among the two most criticized cities in the country...why did you think you could push Houston as an example of a "centralized" area and not get bombarded with off topic posts? I'll do my best to keep this on-topic:

I personally prefer a city with a focus of the amenities at the core of the city. Having an area which has your stadiums, museums, hospitals, and all other cultural/entertainment attractions in a centralized area gives a city a great deal of character and can promote the development of interesting neighborhoods in and around that area.

If I go to a basketball game with some friends...odds are that's not all I'll want to do. I'll want to hit up some bars and a restaurants before and/or after the game. Being able to walk, take a cab/short subway ride between all three of these destinations is better for time, convenience, and costs (though more centralized cities often end up becoming more expensive relative to more spread-out cities, so this isn't always true). Not to mention if you're drinking at the restaurant, game and then bars, it's infinitely safer than driving from each destination to the next.

Another example would be, what if I want to go to a play/ballet with my girlfriend? Odds are we'd want to get some food first, then go to the show, and then maybe go shopping. Centralized amenities allow me to conveniently go from one to another.

Spread out amenities destroys all convenience in my opinion. Also, while I believe centralized amenities breeds beautiful neighborhoods, spread out amenities breeds sprawl and enormous parking lots.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 03-07-2011 at 12:49 PM..

Old 03-07-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
It would have been a lot better if you labeled this as City X and City Y instead of Houston and Dallas. Using real-world examples invite posters to run in here, guns blazing, talking about why their city is a better example of ____. The fact that you decided to use two Texas cities means you're begging for this to happen. Hou and DFW are among the two most criticized cities in the country...why did you think you could push Houston as an example of a "centralized" area and not get bombarded with off topic posts? I'll do my best to keep this on-topic:

I personally prefer a city with a focus of the amenities at the core of the city. Having an area which has your stadiums, museums, hospitals, and all other cultural/entertainment attractions in a centralized area gives a city a great deal of character and can promote the development of interesting neighborhoods in and around that area.

If I go to a basketball game with some friends...odds are that's not all I'll want to do. I'll want to hit up some bars and a restaurants before and/or after the game. Being able to walk, take a cab/short subway ride between all three of these destinations is better for time, convenience, and costs (though more centralized cities often end up becoming more expensive relative to more spread-out cities, so this isn't always true). Not to mention if you're drinking at the restaurant, game and then bars, it's infinitely safer than driving from each destination to the next.

Another example would be, what if I want to go to a play/ballet with my girlfriend? Odds are we'd want to get some food first, then go to the show, and then maybe go shopping. Centralized amenities allow me to conveniently go from one to another.

Spread out amenities destroys all convenience in my opinion. Also, while I believe centralized amenities breeds beautiful neighborhoods, spread out amenities breeds sprawl and enormous parking lots.
oh lord. I will give you a thousand dollars if you can find Houston in the original post. City data would just not be the same if people would stop latching onto something and expanding on it to derail the discussion.

I used a specific number of people, I extrapolated the land area to a size that that number of people can be found in and kicked off the discussion from there. I provided a link as a reference to where the discussion began if people would just read the post, click on the link to get a back ground on how the discussion started we would not have these lengthy derailments

I specifically stated that the discussion should be focused on the matter at hand but people always want to discuss other thing

anyway thank you for your response. It would be better if the intro was skipped, but hey, it is better than most of the previous replies.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
oh lord. I will give you a thousand dollars if you can find Houston in the original post. City data would just not be the same if people would stop latching onto something and expanding on it to derail the discussion.

I used a specific number of people, I extrapolated the land area to a size that that number of people can be found in and kicked off the discussion from there. I provided a link as a reference to where the discussion began if people would just read the post, click on the link to get a back ground on how the discussion started we would not have these lengthy derailments

I specifically stated that the discussion should be focused on the matter at hand but people always want to discuss other thing

anyway thank you for your response. It would be better if the intro was skipped, but hey, it is better than most of the previous replies.
Harris County = Houston. Lets not play the denial game. This thread was obviously spawned off another thread going on between Houston and Dallas. It's a good thread, but the reasoning behind this was the Houston vs Dallas rivalry.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Harris County = Houston. Lets not play the denial game. This thread was obviously spawned off another thread going on between Houston and Dallas. It's a good thread, but the reasoning behind this was the Houston vs Dallas rivalry.
and your point is?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
and your point is?
I have no point at all; just typing for no reason.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:46 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Quote:
and your point is?
The point is stop acting so astonished people are talking about Houston when your comparison is Harris County and DFW!

Old 03-07-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
The point is stop acting so astonished people are talking about Houston when your comparison is Harris County and DFW!
I am not acting astonished, I am asking people to answer which layout they prefer and why. end of story. I don't want to hear about the queens slippers or what your cat had for dinner

Old 03-07-2011, 01:57 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Let' s be real. Most of DFW amenities are inside loop 12 in the city limits of Dallas. The only reason you have to leave this area is to go watch a pro football game and a baseball game. That's it. Oh yeah and an international airport.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Let' s be real. Most of DFW amenities are inside loop 12 in the city limits of Dallas. The only reason you have to leave this area is to go watch a pro football game and a baseball game. That's it. Oh yeah and an international airport.
thats a fair point too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City