Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Indy or Louisville?
Indianapolis 23 67.65%
Louisvile 11 32.35%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:14 AM

261 posts, read 500,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
While on the subject, did anyone see this recent New York Times article about Indy's ethnic restaurant scene?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/23/dining/23united.html

It's hard to imagine such an article getting written even five years ago, but the changes I've noticed particularly VERY recently have been terrific. Even more remarkable is the fact that the biggest improvements have occurred during a serious recession. Up until recently, I think Louisville would have been far more likely to get national attention for its restaurants. But the changes along College Avenue in South Broad Ripple and then on Virginia Avenue in Fountain Square have both been pretty great--and those don't even account for the eclectic offerings in the more suburban setting of Eagledale/Lafayette Square. Even downtown seems a bit less dominated by chains than it was just a few years ago.

Interesting article, thanks for posting. I haven't lived in Indy very long, but I've already tried a few unique ethnic restaurants and there are a million more I want to try.

If you're looking for fantastic ethnic food in Indy be sure to try the Bosphorus Istanbul Cafe on South East Street near downtown. That place is absolutely delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,375 times
Louisville is miles ahead of Indy for arts and culture. Can't say I can comment on any other comparison but I have made the trip too many times for concerts, events, etc.. that passed on Indy. People are very friendly there too.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:35 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lg2312 View Post
Louisville is miles ahead of Indy for arts and culture. Can't say I can comment on any other comparison but I have made the trip too many times for concerts, events, etc.. that passed on Indy. People are very friendly there too.
I would personally say that there are probably more concerts in Indy, just sayin.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:20 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
The only thing that I prefer Louisville for is Krazy Fest. It really seems about even beyond that as far as being bypassed for concerts. Let's not pretend Louisville is Chicago or something.

Arts and culture, Louisville has a scene. To say it is miles ahead, I would hesitate to agree with that.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:40 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
While on the subject, did anyone see this recent New York Times article about Indy's ethnic restaurant scene?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/23/dining/23united.html

It's hard to imagine such an article getting written even five years ago, but the changes I've noticed particularly VERY recently have been terrific. Even more remarkable is the fact that the biggest improvements have occurred during a serious recession. Up until recently, I think Louisville would have been far more likely to get national attention for its restaurants. But the changes along College Avenue in South Broad Ripple and then on Virginia Avenue in Fountain Square have both been pretty great--and those don't even account for the eclectic offerings in the more suburban setting of Eagledale/Lafayette Square. Even downtown seems a bit less dominated by chains than it was just a few years ago.
Louisville does get more attention for its restaurants. Louisville actually has great unique museums of its own. Louisville's college arena downtown is just as fun as going to a Pacers game in downtown Indy...it just depends on what you are into. Indy may be viewed as more "big time" because of its pro sports, but Louisville is a city with more history, more soul, safer, more urban walkability, and more arts and culture. If you like indie music and independent coffee, go to Louisville. If your cup of tea is more corporate, chains, and upscale shopping like Saks and Nordstrom, then Indy is your spot. Of course both cities offer touches of the other, but you get the idea. To be honest, size wise they end up feeling similar although Indy was over 400k bigger in metro area in 2000 (we will see what the new official data show) but I do agree with the previous poster about Carmel...if you are a "white-collar" corporate subarban yuppie who likes his townhome and "village center" Indy (and really more Carmel) is your cup of tea (although the Norton Commons to Prospect to Crestwood area of Louisville is getting similar, albeit on a smaller scale.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:46 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I would personally say that there are probably more concerts in Indy, just sayin.
Not anymore now that Yum is open. That said, the kind of concerts Yum is now drawing are not what makes Louisville unique. I believe the poster is stating the underground, indie, and local music scene is better...which it undoubtedly is. Before YUM, Indy got substantially more of the "big name" corporate acts. I think that is changing, but Indy still gets more "big name" acts....something many Louisvillians could care less about. You guys can have Lady Gaga. Indy does have some nice local venues especially the Murat. I have seen many shows at that place!

Old 03-10-2011, 04:52 AM

96 posts, read 195,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Louisville does get more attention for its restaurants. Louisville actually has great unique museums of its own. Louisville's college arena downtown is just as fun as going to a Pacers game in downtown Indy...it just depends on what you are into. Indy may be viewed as more "big time" because of its pro sports, but Louisville is a city with more history, more soul, safer, more urban walkability, and more arts and culture. If you like indie music and independent coffee, go to Louisville. If your cup of tea is more corporate, chains, and upscale shopping like Saks and Nordstrom, then Indy is your spot. Of course both cities offer touches of the other, but you get the idea. To be honest, size wise they end up feeling similar although Indy was over 400k bigger in metro area in 2000 (we will see what the new official data show) but I do agree with the previous poster about Carmel...if you are a "white-collar" corporate subarban yuppie who likes his townhome and "village center" Indy (and really more Carmel) is your cup of tea (although the Norton Commons to Prospect to Crestwood area of Louisville is getting similar, albeit on a smaller scale.
Wow, for a moderator this is a pretty scathing post that reeks of homerism. Most moderators I've seen on C-D tend to be a little bit more complimentary and diplomatic when discussing other cities, especially a neighboring one like Indy.

Thanks for insulting my town by the way...I think I'll take the high road and say that Louisville is a nice city that definitely has some good things going on. See, that's how you have a discussion like this without being petty or slipping backhanded insults into a post.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:55 AM

96 posts, read 195,185 times
Quote:
Not anymore now that Yum is open. That said, the kind of concerts Yum is now drawing are not what makes Louisville unique. I believe the poster is stating the underground, indie, and local music scene is better...which it undoubtedly is. Before YUM, Indy got substantially more of the "big name" corporate acts. I think that is changing, but Indy still gets more "big name" acts....something many Louisvillians could care less about. You guys can have Lady Gaga. Indy does have some nice local venues especially the Murat. I have seen many shows at that place!
Again, can't post a thing without your superiority complex showing through.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:33 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
yea, c'mon stx ... be nice.

Indianapolis and Louisville are completely different from each other. Each offers it's own unique charms and downfalls. Louisville might be warmer, Indianapolis gets more snow. Indianapolis is a sports crazy city, professional and amateur. It's also a major convention city. Louisville has southern charm and indeed, it's indie music scene is much more pronounced.

Louisville is also a much older city ... river heritage ... much along the lines of Cincinnati. I'd say that you can either love or be miserable in both places.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:50 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Considering what STX normally says, his posts in this thread do not seem terribly out of bounds to me.

Quote:
Louisville is a city with more history, more soul, safer, more urban walkability, and more arts and culture. If you like indie music and independent coffee, go to Louisville. If your cup of tea is more corporate, chains, and upscale shopping like Saks and Nordstrom, then Indy is your spot. Of course both cities offer touches of the other, but you get the idea.
What neighborhoods are you referring to? You have Old Louisville, The Highlands, Butchertown, and what else? Original Highlands, Germantown, all the subsets of The Highlands? Take away the neighborhoods along Bardstown Road, and tell me, what else will I find? Okolona? Parkland? How about a drive down Dixie Highway to Shively?

There is plenty of independent coffee in Indianapolis, by the way.

Quote:
I do agree with the previous poster about Carmel...if you are a "white-collar" corporate subarban yuppie who likes his townhome and "village center" Indy (and really more Carmel) is your cup of tea (although the Norton Commons to Prospect to Crestwood area of Louisville is getting similar, albeit on a smaller scale.
Carmel is Carmel, who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City