Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 10:01 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not a problem for a newbie-in fact it might be better so you can orient yourself with the sights and get a better gage on the people.
Yea from what I've been told, it's not uncommon for paths to change on a daily basis due to random street markets popping up on different days of the week.

Quote:
On the other hand, when I was a missionary years ago(age 19) back when you were in kindergarten(LOL) or even younger, I spent a ton of time in favelas(in Porto Alegre) doing humanitarian service and I didnt even notice any sense of impending danger or peril. People were generally very nice and curious-I loved working in this day care especially and getting to play with the infants there. Obviously one needs to excercise extreme caution. One day in broad daylight I was walking with my companion down a beco(alley) in the favela(people in Porto Alegre dont call them favelas btw) and these 2 kids probably age 12 or under ran behind us and ripped our watches right off our wrists and then disappeared back into the alley. I actually took my watch back by force from Im guessing a man who was his father(had to scap East Oakland with them one time-sorry Jesus)-glad he didnt have a gun, but my companion from Utah couldnt find the kid who took his.
Good thing you got it back!

Quote:
So I would hold off on any flashiness as far as watches or rings or any overt signs of wealth-but Zona Sul is not that bad to be honest so I think you'll be okay.
Yea I'm not really a flashy guy as it is. I don't wear any jewelry whatsoever...however I've been told it would be unwise to take out my Droid on the subway/bus haha.

Quote:
Anyway, there are statistics out there Ive seen which say that the percentage of people in Sao Paulo living in favelas has shrunk from 20% of the city to below 7% of the city and I believe it. Brazil has become very wealthy these days and that has translated to a growing middle class.

Im actually very gratified to see it.
Yea I really think I could be getting into the country at the right time. Now I just need to improve my Portuguese and work on finding employment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 10:37 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I think the OP has made his/her point though....

San Francisco is deceivingly the 2nd most dense major city in this country because of its small land area, and many major U.S. cities have a similar density in their core 50 sq. mi. or less.

I found this to be quite eye-opening actually! Not to say that SF isn't very dense (I still consider it top 5), but that some cities I did not think were urban/dense (like Houston or Dallas) actually have 50 sq. mi. that have densities >10K ppsm. Pretty cool!
yeah I think the OP did make his point.

You should read a thread Danny created yesterday.

//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...-boundary.html

There are some areas that are of really low density that I would have left out, but the numbers are really surprising.

Houston matches Atlanta's population in 90 sq miles (40 sq miles less than Atlanta does it in). And that is with using 2000 numbers for Houston

Houston matches Dallas's population in 210 miles (130 sq miles less than Dallas does it in). And that is using 2000 numbers for Houston and 2010 numbers for Dallas.

It should be similar to Miami in the same land boundaries, and contain more people than Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Indianapolis and a host of others in the same land area

Old 03-10-2011, 10:47 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yeah I think the OP did make his point.

You should read a thread Danny created yesterday.

//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...-boundary.html

There are some areas that are of really low density that I would have left out, but the numbers are really surprising.

Houston matches Atlanta's population in 90 sq miles (40 sq miles less than Atlanta does it in). And that is with using 2000 numbers for Houston

Houston matches Dallas's population in 210 miles (130 sq miles less than Dallas does it in). And that is using 2000 numbers for Houston and 2010 numbers for Dallas.

It should be similar to Miami in the same land boundaries, and contain more people than Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Indianapolis and a host of others in the same land area
So many people live in Houston in 47 sq miles? I didn't follow much of the Houston discussion earlier.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:02 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
IDK....but there are 528,075 people in 93.3 sq. miles on the SW side. So let's say roughly half that amount, or maybe a tad higher since it's more "core".

Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
So many people live in Houston in 47 sq miles? I didn't follow much of the Houston discussion earlier.
yeah, 75% of the city amounts to low density areas (5000ppsm or below) which really kills the overall density. It is crazy that more than 1M people live in just a section of the southwest side of the city while less than a million live in the NW, NE and SE section of the city.

the bulk of the pop did not develop around the core at all, as the density of the inner loop is half of that of the SW

Old 03-10-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
IDK....but there are 528,075 people in 93.3 sq. miles on the SW side. So let's say roughly half that amount, or maybe a tad higher since it's more "core".
If you stick to the zips around the westpark tollway you get over 400K in half that area.

The zips ending in 81, 36 and 74 for example amounts to an area of 16 sq miles and a population of almost 190K

Old 03-10-2011, 11:24 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
I used YOUR link from DANNY! That is my only source.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:53 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
While true, you are also not considering that Houston isn't the only city with uneven development.

Like, for instance, the city of Atlanta.

While the city itself is 131 square miles with ~560,000 residents, it is not even development for that whole 131 miles as well.

The easiest way to do this (instead of going by census tract or by zip code) is to look at just Buckhead by itself and separate it from the rest of the city.

"Buckhead" land area = 80 square miles
Population = ~120,000
Density = 1500 ppsm (Not evenly either. Several neighborhoods in Buckhead have 7 to 10k population densities)

The rest of the City of Atlanta = 51 square miles
Population = 430,000
Density = 8627 ppsm

If I limit that to the pre-1951 city limits, then the density will go even higher since it is only 36 square miles.

What's funny though is that there has been talk of Buckhead breaking off and forming it's own city. I wonder what will happen on C-D when Atlanta instantly becomes a high density city. LOL

Old 03-10-2011, 12:11 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Its so clear. The cores are different sizes. SF is still at its core the 2nd densest major city in the US. Stretch it out all you want.....

Anyway, of course a bigger city could on average beat SF's density at its peak sq miles. If you take cores whatever size they may be, SF is going to perform very well/densely. All you have to do is visit these cities and you can see for your self. For instance SF at street level feels much denser than Chicago, but thats over 30 square miles or so. As you head south it gets far less dense and a bigger city like Chicago or LA is going to keep on going.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Its so clear. The cores are different sizes. SF is still at its core the 2nd densest major city in the US. Stretch it out all you want.....

Anyway, of course a bigger city could on average beat SF's density at its peak sq miles. If you take cores whatever size they may be, SF is going to perform very well/densely. All you have to do is visit these cities and you can see for your self. For instance SF at street level feels much denser than Chicago, but thats over 30 square miles or so. As you head south it gets far less dense and a bigger city like Chicago or LA is going to keep on going.
Yea, this measure isn't exactly a measure of density. It's a measure of how big and dense the city is. I really like SF, and it definitely feels quite dense, but something about it doesn't give the feel of really big city. Because it isn't. So yea, Chicago and LA should do better better since bigger cities usually have a bigger core. In fact, I'd say it's not surprising that SF comes out lower than Chicago, but impressive that SF can do so well given it's a much smaller city.

Comparing cities based on their legal boundaries doesn't interest me as much as the boundaries can be arbitrary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City