Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:36 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Rita's on the River in San Antonio, as far as Tex-Mex goes, nothing else comes close (in my experience) besides some places in El Paso or Harlingen but both of those are way out of the picture. Let me know when you're in Texas, it would be cool getting lunch one day and I know the Texas Triangle cities real well so I can show you around tourist spots.
I'm actually going with Trek America, but in the cities I think we sometimes get the opportunity to go and explore on our own a bit. If it's within walking distance I'll definitely try it out .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 10:19 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Not sure if someone mentioned it already but I was not at all impressed by the Cincinnati Chili. it was just.. meh. Nothing special.
It's an acquired taste. I'm glad I acquired it!

Old 03-15-2011, 07:48 AM

208 posts, read 411,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It's an acquired taste. I'm glad I acquired it!
What is the difference between Cincy chili and others? I've yet to try any.

Question, does Cincy chili have beans? Am I the only one who absolutely can't STAND beans in my chili?

Old 03-15-2011, 07:59 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
ugh i have to say as a Philadelphian that i do NOT understand the appeal of a cheesesteak.

okay let's take some low quality meat, slice it real thin, and throw it on a bun. if you add cheeze wiz, then it's simply vomit inducing. i think cheese wiz is perhaps the most disgusting thing ever created. i refuse to call it food.

there is only one time when eating a cheesesteak is acceptable you're between the ages of 16 and 25, it's 2 am, and you are drunk. then they're delicious. other than that i wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pool.

that being said. i do think that most tourists do it wrong. they go to pats and genos which are tourists traps as far as i'm concerned, especially geno's a place that is so over the top touristy that it borders on absurd. also they're really racist. on top of that, tourists always get whiz on their cheesesteak. good god why? because that's the original cheese steak? well no kidding. the original cheesesteak is from like the depression era when pat's was trying to make a sandwhich for a nickel. it's no longer the great depression, you don't have to slather your sandwich with imitation cheese product.

so while cheesesteaks are awful they're considerably less awful if you get them from a simple neighborhood pizza place and put provolone on it instead of that awful whiz.

also don't buy the fact they're better elsewhere. morbid curiosity has caused me to order a philly cheesesteak in places far from home and it's always ended up being even more disgusting than they are here in philly.

Spot on assessment. When I lived in Philly people I know who live elsewhere would always comment on how lucky I was to live in a place where those monstrosities are served on every corner. Yeah, I would hate like hell to live someplace where the regional specialty is say Lobster, Cajun/Creole or Angus Beef..

Old 03-15-2011, 09:08 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic View Post
What is the difference between Cincy chili and others? I've yet to try any.

Question, does Cincy chili have beans? Am I the only one who absolutely can't STAND beans in my chili?
Cincinnati chili is a variant of a Greek stew. It's made with ground beef, tomato paste, the usual chili flavorings (onion, garlic, red pepper), cinnamon and allspice, and cocoa. No beans. The sauce is thin and the beef is cooked in water, so that the chili's consistency is fine and sloppy, and not thick and chunky.

It's served over a plate of spaghetti, and topped with shredded cheese. That's called a 3-way. A 4-way is with beans or onions on top of the cheese; a 5-way is with both beans and onions.

Add a dash of hot sauce, and use the oyster crackers to sop up the chili sauce left over at the bottom of your plate. Enjoy.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:25 AM

48 posts, read 64,021 times
How about Detroit-style Coney Island hot dogs? Disgusting!

Boiled hot dogs (eww, they should be grilled) in a wonder-bread style bun, topped with runny "meat sauce" that is (for some reason) called chili (but no beans, spices, or anything).

I like lots of Michigan foods, but Coney Islands are horrible!

Old 03-15-2011, 10:07 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Cincinnati chili is a variant of a Greek stew. It's made with ground beef, tomato paste, the usual chili flavorings (onion, garlic, red pepper), cinnamon and allspice, and cocoa. No beans. The sauce is thin and the beef is cooked in water, so that the chili's consistency is fine and sloppy, and not thick and chunky.

It's served over a plate of spaghetti, and topped with shredded cheese. That's called a 3-way. A 4-way is with beans or onions on top of the cheese; a 5-way is with both beans and onions.

Add a dash of hot sauce, and use the oyster crackers to sop up the chili sauce left over at the bottom of your plate. Enjoy.
Good stuff...love the 5-way! I discovered it as a kid growing up in Florida of all places. Skyline Chili has locations there and haven't had it since!

Skyline Chili - The Official Website of Skyline Chili

Old 03-15-2011, 11:37 AM

279 posts, read 759,799 times
Most overrated in my opinion:

- Primanti Brothers Sandwich (Pittsburgh)
- Sweet Tea
- Chicago style hot dog

Old 03-15-2011, 11:48 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue View Post
Most overrated in my opinion:

- Primanti Brothers Sandwich (Pittsburgh)
- Sweet Tea
- Chicago style hot dog

Great chocies, and I agree with all of your choices. I hated Primanti Brothers sandwiches when I lived in Pittsburgh, ughhh...

I'm not a fan of sweet tea either, it's too sweet...lol

And as far as Chicago hot dogs,--YUCK. I don't want a hot dog with tomatoes, green peppers, yadda, yadda, yadda. When I eat a hot dog, I don't want it filled with veggies. I like it simple. Grilled with mustard and meat sauce or grilled with oninons and sauer kraut..Sometimes simplicity is best.

I remember the first time I had a Chicago hot dog. It was when I first moved there and my roommate wanted to go for hot dogs. I was expecting meatsauce, etc. The way I like them. Not what I got. He kept raving about them. I couldn't stomach them. It has to be an acguired taste.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:30 AM

208 posts, read 411,440 times
Oh, and can someone from Philly kindly explain to me your fondness for something called "scrapple"? I tried it because a friend told me "OMG you gotta try this!" and I immediately regretted not being able to un-taste it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City