Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:48 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Agree - so there are 2 or 5 or 10 or even 75; out of millions and millions of people. more people get struck by lightning in these places than are billionaires. How does this really change anyone's life.

This is one of the more meaningless lists I see discussed on this forum; even a discussion of millionaires makes some sense in that it is some evidence of wealth within an area but these numbers aren't even rounding error they are so small.
Cosigned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 09:50 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post
LOL. I'm 100% sure if Philadelphia were somehere at the top (instead of the very bottom), this list wouldn't be meaningless.

This is just about "meaningless" as most threads on this forum.

That last point is fair, but honestly this is such small absolute number and impacts so few anywhere. I would be much happier if Philly was dead last on this metric but I was the sole Billionaire; today I have to share this with a few others

Old 03-11-2011, 10:22 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
List is inaccurate, a lot of us Billys (that's what we call ourselves) refuse to participate in these as it seems a bit too vulgar to flaunt our wealth in this manner. We buy a couple hundred of the magazine subscriptions and they leave us alone for awhile. Ta Ta.

Last edited by Ghengis; 03-11-2011 at 10:58 AM..

Old 03-11-2011, 10:25 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Its now Houston 10, Philly 5. The survey was taken before I moved here.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:13 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
The original poster did a good job and I don't want to take anything away from that at all, but these were the only 4 places that I found that didn't go with his list (see below).

Chicago's at 20 (all in Chicago MSA), Houston's at 12 (11 in the city of Houston, 1 in The Woodlands, a suburb, all in Houston MSA), Milwaukee is at 4 (all in Racine County, WI which is in Milwaukee CSA), & Boston (His list of all in Boston CSA + 3 in counties added in NH & RI in the CSA).

Chicago:
- Forbes - Sam Zell
- Forbes - Lester Crown & family
- Forbes - Oprah Winfrey
- Forbes - Ty Warner
- Forbes - Ken Griffin
- Forbes - William Wrigley
- Forbes - Reyes J. Christopher
- Forbes - Reyes Jude
- Forbes - Neil Bluhm
- Forbes - Dean White
- Forbes - Thomas Pritzker
- Forbes - Penny Pritzker
- Forbes - Jay Robert (J.B.) Pritzker
- Forbes - James Pritzker
- Forbes - Jean (Gigi) Pritzker
- Forbes - Joseph Mansueto
- Forbes - Matthew Bucksbaum & family
- Forbes - Patrick Ryan
- Forbes - Michael Krasny
- Forbes - Nicholas Pritzker
Total: 20 (All apart of Chicago MSA)

Houston:
- Forbes - Kenneth Adams
- Forbes - Robert McNair
- Forbes - Thomas Friedkin
- Forbes - Joe Jamail
- Forbes - Jeffrey Hildebrand
- Forbes - George Mitchell
- Forbes - Scott Duncan
- Forbes - Milane Frantz
- Forbes - Dannine Avara
- Forbes - Randa Williams
- Forbes - John Arnold
- Forbes - Richard Kinder
Total: 12 (All apart of Houston MSA)

Boston:
- Forbes - Abigail Johnson
- Forbes - Edward Johnson
- Forbes - Patrick McGovern (Hillsboro County, NH is apart of Boston CSA)
- Forbes - Amos Hostetter
- Forbes - Jim Davis & family
- Forbes - Robert Kraft
- Forbes - Jonathan Nelson (The entire state of Rhode Island is apart of Boston CSA)
- Forbes - Hope Hill van Beuren & family (The entire state of Rhode Island is apart of Boston CSA)
Total: 8 (5 in Boston MSA & 3 more added in Boston CSA, totaling 8)

Milwaukee:
- Forbes - H. Fisk Johnson
- Forbes - S. Curtis Johnson
- Forbes - Helen Johnson-Leipold
- Forbes - Imogene Powers Johnson
Total: 4 (0 in Milwaukee MSA, & 4 added in Milwaukee CSA, totaling 4)

Source: http://www.forbes.com/profile/tamara-gustavson

Old 03-11-2011, 09:06 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,069,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikkk View Post
And the average person in any metro in the united states is not rich either.

The premesis of this thread is about wealth, as in rich people, not the average person, there is a difference.

This list simply validates that DC doesnt have big wealth producing industry.
Who cares what this little thread is about? Nobody including youself is apart of nor do they contribute to any of these states Billionaire list, so like you said to KidPhilly "This thread is pointless". Are you a Billionaire? My guess would be no because Billionaires have lives and dont sit around wasting there lives typing lists of other billionaires on CD.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:36 PM

205 posts, read 298,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
Who cares what this little thread is about? Nobody including youself is apart of nor do they contribute to any of these states Billionaire list, so like you said to KidPhilly "This thread is pointless". Are you a Billionaire? My guess would be no because Billionaires have lives and dont sit around wasting there lives typing lists of other billionaires on CD.

You still mad? Sure sounds like it because, most threads on this forum are nonsensical, but this one has you all riled up (probably because DC performs poorly - LOL)

Who cares what city in the United States is most powerful? You have an infinitely higher chance of becoming a billioniare than NYC and DC getting into a war. Will you ever be in the position to start wars (or whatever your retarded reasoning was for DC being the most powerful)? Billionaires are more common than the higher uppers in Washington. That didnt stop you from commenting about 100 times in that thread, now did it? LOL.

Again, this thread is about as irrelevant in the real world than the vast majority of threads on this forum, but this one is oh so irrelevant because you don't like the results. Hah!

Last edited by sputnikkk; 03-11-2011 at 09:50 PM..

Old 03-12-2011, 09:09 AM

211 posts, read 477,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
I don't understand how Dallas can surpass Houston so much...
8 of the 26 billionaires attributed to Dallas are actually in Fort Worth.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:15 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
List is inaccurate, a lot of us Billys (that's what we call ourselves) refuse to participate in these as it seems a bit too vulgar to flaunt our wealth in this manner. We buy a couple hundred of the magazine subscriptions and they leave us alone for awhile. Ta Ta.
Actually your not too far off the mark.

The Bay Area for example has oh Id say about 20 people who are indeed Billionaires, like Marion and Herbert Sandler, like Bernard Osher, like Arthur Rock, like David Duffield and so on. But they are NOT listed by Forbes.

Forbes' only counts Billionaires who are still working. Not ones that have retired from work.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:49 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,069,977 times
Quote:
sputnikkk You still mad?
Why would I be mad? Neither you or me contributed anything to the list. Your praising other peoples wealth that would probably stick a middle finger up to you and call you a peasant in real life. Yeah that makes sense doesn't it?.
Quote:
sputnikkk Sure sounds like it because, most threads on this forum are nonsensical, but this one has you all riled up (probably because DC performs poorly - LOL)
Dude why are you so pumped up about a State that has Billionaires in them and your not even one of them. Atleast what I said made sense because when talking about Median Incomes, thats something that we all as American Citizens Contribute to. Not some useless Billionaire list that only has about 5 citizens from each state that contributes to the lis LOL.
Quote:
sputnikkk Who cares what city in the United States is most powerful?
Everybone, Duhh
Quote:
sputnikkk You have an infinitely higher chance of becoming a billioniare than NYC and DC getting into a war.
Actually theres about an equal chance of either one happening.
Quote:
sputnikkk Will you ever be in the position to start wars (or whatever your retarded reasoning was for DC being the most powerful)?
Thats Highly Possible, even more so than you becoming a Billionaire my friend. Even if I dont have those power's I could still Influence it. That kind of thing is done all the time (History tells us.)

Quote:
sputnikkk Billionaires are more common than the higher uppers in Washington.
Whaaaatttt??? Now you really sound like a retard and I can tell that you know nothing about Washington, DC. BTW The Richest State is a DC Suburb, so what are you talking about.

Quote:
sputnikkk That didnt stop you from commenting about 100 times in that thread, now did it? LOL.
Sure didn't and Im glad to see that your actually Clocking how many times I comment in a thread Mr. Watch Dog!

Quote:
sputnikkk Again, this thread is about as irrelevant in the real world than the vast majority of threads on this forum, but this one is oh so irrelevant because you don't like the results. Hah!
And Im curious to know why your so in love with this list as if your actually apart of it. But you right tho, why would I care about a list that not only doesn't includes me, but the vast amount of the US Citizens you lame!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City