Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:10 AM

78 posts, read 196,176 times

Advertisements

Izzy, when I was 21 I couldn't get out of Albq fast enough. I went to San Francisco and on to other big cities after that. They were great experiences. Now I am over 50, and what I most love is being outdoors, especially hiking, and being with a few close friends and my dogs. The enormous spaces, huge sky, clouds and incredible landscapes are what matter now. I don't care about clubs and nightlife and exotic restaurants. So, for you, you should try life somewhere else more exiting. For me, I would like to come back to Albq. where there is more than enough excitement to keep me satisfied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 07:38 PM

78 posts, read 208,180 times
I live in Colorado Springs (a rather conservative but quite sizeable military town) and I've travelled to both ABQ and EP, as well as studied them both quite extensively.

The differences are as follows:

El Paso.. is warmer (very mild winters and very hot summers) The surrounding countryside is a bleak steppe. The streets are wider (Texas) and the layout is devided by the mountains. The culture is strongly influenced by Northern Mexico and West Texas. JUAREZ border crossing is right there and cannot be ignored. Very MEXICAN! Plenty of Gay action especially around the Military Base, but not as Open nor as common as in ABQ.

Albuquerque is.. somewhat cooler that El Paso (cool winters, hot summers) the surrounding countryside is a mixture of steppe and pine clad mountains. The city is a neat grid and the architecture is mostly of the southwestern adobe style. ABQ is the biggest city in New Mexico but both cities are about the same size, ABQ has no border sister town like EP. Albuquerque's culture is very interesting because it.is Mostly Hispanic / Indian yet very American.at the same- time. It offers a true glimpse into America's NATIVE Hispanic culture that is often ignored or overlooked yet is very rich in local traditions. ABQ is New Mexican and EP is Texican! The Gay community is quite large in ABQ as well.

My recommendation for you, a Gay person with an interest in Hispanic culture, is ALBUQUERQUE by far! It looks better, feels better, the nearby mountains are beautiful, the gay scene is bigger, the people Speak ENGLISH and some proudly a rather archaic form of SPANISH. It has its share of crime as any large city but the people are VERY FRIENDLY and it feels quite safe too. ABQ all the way!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City