Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:00 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times

Advertisements

Criteria:
- Weather: spring and fall are nice. winter and summer, not so much.
- Stuff to do: lacking
- Culture: not my cup of tea, to be honest. no pun.
- Topography: lol.
- Places: DC is nice.
- Roads: all the south really has as far as options. severe lack of mass transit.
- Everything else: the south isn't *that bad* but some things are for some ppl and the south just isn't for me.

Politics: holding the south back IMO.
Fashion: lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 11:50 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
People in the rural South have a different idea of what is needed to socialize. Yankees need a "club" and the latest Gucci/Blanik fashions and newest brand of a rappers vodka. Us redneck/hillbillies need a creek. A tailgate. A bottle of Jack. A fishin pole. A fiddle and guitar. Just leave word at the farm store and the ladies will find us!

Old 03-16-2011, 01:32 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
walmart after midnight seems to be the club of choice for many down there tho.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:33 PM

562 posts, read 989,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
People in the rural South have a different idea of what is needed to socialize. Yankees need a "club" and the latest Gucci/Blanik fashions and newest brand of a rappers vodka. Us redneck/hillbillies need a creek. A tailgate. A bottle of Jack. A fishin pole. A fiddle and guitar. Just leave word at the farm store and the ladies will find us!
That is a pretty hyper-generalization of both sides but I'm a Yankee and do like my Vodka over a bottle of Jack. :P

Old 03-16-2011, 06:04 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Threads like these are nice to expose those that are completely clueless about certain areas.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:32 PM

81 posts, read 170,622 times
I'm a native Californian and I have spent weeks at a time in Texas (visiting) and have been living in South Florida for the past 2 months. I have also traveled for business and pleasure to several other southern states. I personally find it hard to generalize about 'the south' since states differ so much. I'll give my opinion based on Texas and Florida and a few other places I've visited.

- Weather - love the changes of season in Texas and hanging out on the beach during the winter months in Florida. Summers though, are TOO hot and humid!
- Stuff to do - Texas is very 'family oriented' and Florida can be as well depending on where you live. Pretty good nightlife in Florida. Texas....not so much. In either state you have to drive FAR to get anywhere.
- Culture - Really don't see much 'culture' in Florida or Texas. Pretty much bland strip malls, Walmart drive thrus, etc. There is SOME, but in the South as a whole, not much.
- Topography - flat, flat, flat
- Places - DFW and Austin are really great cities.
- Roads - Roads in Texas are clean and easy to navigate. Can't say the same for Florida.
- Everything else - I think 'people' make the city/state what it is. That said, TX, FL, MS, GA, LA all have VERY different folks. People in Texas and Georgia are very friendly and open , whereas people in Florida are suspicious and closed off.

I still love ya Florida

Old 03-16-2011, 07:38 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Maybe rural southerners, but socialites in the big cities? Pfft. Some of those housewives in Dallas would give even a wealthy New York woman a run for her money when it comes to fashion and brands. Dallas is socialite's city.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
walmart after midnight seems to be the club of choice for many down there tho.
Bruh, just go to hell already. I do my best to tolerate and ignore your posts, but you're just a very nasty spirited individual. For someone who looks down their noses so much at the South, you sure seem to be obsessed with us.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larachris View Post
I'm a native Californian and I have spent weeks at a time in Texas (visiting) and have been living in South Florida for the past 2 months. I have also traveled for business and pleasure to several other southern states. I personally find it hard to generalize about 'the south' since states differ so much. I'll give my opinion based on Texas and Florida and a few other places I've visited.

- Weather - love the changes of season in Texas and hanging out on the beach during the winter months in Florida. Summers though, are TOO hot and humid!
- Stuff to do - Texas is very 'family oriented' and Florida can be as well depending on where you live. Pretty good nightlife in Florida. Texas....not so much. In either state you have to drive FAR to get anywhere.
- Culture - Really don't see much 'culture' in Florida or Texas. Pretty much bland strip malls, Walmart drive thrus, etc. There is SOME, but in the South as a whole, not much.
- Topography - flat, flat, flat
- Places - DFW and Austin are really great cities.
- Roads - Roads in Texas are clean and easy to navigate. Can't say the same for Florida.
- Everything else - I think 'people' make the city/state what it is. That said, TX, FL, MS, GA, LA all have VERY different folks. People in Texas and Georgia are very friendly and open , whereas people in Florida are suspicious and closed off.

I still love ya Florida
Now a Californian picking on a southern state for being too sprawled and suburban, now, that's almost funny. Hey, what can I say? We learned from the experts (I'm looking at you, Los Angeles)

To be honest, it sounds like you didn't spend much time outside of the most suburban areas of Texas, because there's far more than just "some" culture and character to be found here.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:44 PM

285 posts, read 642,380 times
I am from Ohio (Toledo). My opinions:

Criteria:
- Weather - A few really hot months, but for the most part much better than the north. The biggest reason that people from my state want to move there.
- Stuff to do - Big city life may be one area where the south is lacking. The largest Metros in each of the other regions of the country (NE - New York, MW - Chicago, W - Los Angeles/SF) blow the cities of the south out of the water. However, the beaches and mountains are top notch.
- Culture - Not as familiar with this as I have only visited the south on vacations, but I'm not into to the whole Christian right thing. Also not into country music or nascar. Culture would probably be the biggest deterrent for me.
- Topography - Not dry like the West, not flat like many parts of the Midwest.
- Places - Not so sure on this one.
- Roads - Nice because there has been so much new development.
- Everything else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City