Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 02:55 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,116,682 times

Advertisements

The best example would be "boogey" or "boojey" blacks. They like to think they are better than the rest of their community of blacks, do not associate with other blacks, etc. It's great to prefer different types of music and food but it's when the neglect and rebuttal of their culture takes over, that's what angers me. My uncle is a very successful professional, and while he is in a profession dominated by white professionals he is just as good as them, but he still hasn't forgotten where he came from and I respect that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 03:11 PM

72,815 posts, read 62,143,696 times
This is how I do things. I do love many things that are part of the African-American culture. R&B music is among these things. I don't have an iPod, but if it did, you would find The Jackson 5, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind and Fire, The Brothers Johnson, DeBarge, Anita Baker,Stephanie Mills,Al Green,The Isley Brothers,and various old school R&B music artists and groups on my iPod. Dr. King has an honored place in my family. I do like jazz. Other things in the African-American culture that I like include shows like Smart Guy, The Cosby Show, Family Matters,etc. However, I do not listen to Li'L Wayne, T.I., or most of the hip hop music of today. In fact, I consider alot of it insulting to hip-hop in general. Hip-hop was never suppose to be about glorifying violence and misogyny. If you go back to its roots, hip-hop was about social consciousness, and in some cases, just going to the disco and having a good time, which is how breakdancing came out of this.

I don't think it is African-American culture as a whole that is problematic. I feel it is certain things within the culture that have been destructive(and African-Americans have had help with that too). What is needed is an embrace of the wonderful things in our culture. Our spirituals(such as LIfe Every Voice and Sing), faith, jazz, African-American intellectuals(Tavis Smiley, Cornell West, Tony Brown,etc), writers(Ralph Ellison, Richard Wright, Langston Hughes,Toni Morrison,etc).

Old 03-23-2011, 03:30 PM

832 posts, read 1,248,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
This is how I do things. I do love many things that are part of the African-American culture. R&B music is among these things. I don't have an iPod, but if it did, you would find The Jackson 5, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind and Fire, The Brothers Johnson, DeBarge, Anita Baker,Stephanie Mills,Al Green,The Isley Brothers,and various old school R&B music artists and groups on my iPod. Dr. King has an honored place in my family. I do like jazz. Other things in the African-American culture that I like include shows like Smart Guy, The Cosby Show, Family Matters,etc. However, I do not listen to Li'L Wayne, T.I., or most of the hip hop music of today. In fact, I consider alot of it insulting to hip-hop in general. Hip-hop was never suppose to be about glorifying violence and misogyny. If you go back to its roots, hip-hop was about social consciousness, and in some cases, just going to the disco and having a good time, which is how breakdancing came out of this.

I don't think it is African-American culture as a whole that is problematic. I feel it is certain things within the culture that have been destructive(and African-Americans have had help with that too). What is needed is an embrace of the wonderful things in our culture. Our spirituals(such as LIfe Every Voice and Sing), faith, jazz, African-American intellectuals(Tavis Smiley, Cornell West, Tony Brown,etc), writers(Ralph Ellison, Richard Wright, Langston Hughes,Toni Morrison,etc).
it has to do with history, early 1900's African american were use as amusement in movies & theatres thus many AA to find succes became entertainers, now that heritage is still strong as AA has been portrayed as entertainers forgeting to promote entrepreuneurship & schools... & the rap culture who was first a concencious thing, became pleaged by gang, gunz & violence.. BECAUSE THAT SELL... after the gang, hip hop was portraying blin bling... ow is parties... go figure

Old 03-23-2011, 03:54 PM

Hip-hop in it roots also pointed out how they lived in their projects/hoods, which is part of the music, and which is why the violence started to appear. The violence is glamorized these days but it was for a reason and I like that, its real.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 PM

832 posts, read 1,248,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Hip-hop in it roots also pointed out how they lived in their projects/hoods, which is part of the music, and which is why the violence started to appear. The violence is glamorized these days but it was for a reason and I like that, its real.
you can't be serious when you say you like to see the violence glamorized in hip hop

Old 03-23-2011, 04:44 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,941,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
I seriously doubt that is what UTHorns was saying, but as always, your issues of self-hatred shine through and you jump to the most ignorant conclusions.

I'm a black woman, and abhor Tyler Perry or Wayans Brothers movies, I feel a lot of the mainstream hip-hop is utter trash and filth used to denigrate black women and emasculate black men and thrives on the worst stereotypes about African-American Culture.

And just to let you know, quite a few white, hispanic, and asian men have got a taste of the Oatmeal, thank you very much.

I don't really have much of a discernable accent, don't really talk in slang, I'm an agnostic, I love all sorts of cuisine of food, I wear clothes from Target, and I love satire, and I listen to all sorts of music. I was playing MUSE and Dixie Chicks on my iPod when I was working out last night. Yes, I love R&B and hip-hop, but I tend to prefer more independent and concious artists or singers like Jill Scott, Algebra, or Erykah Badu (even if she is a practicing witch, or so I've heard when I lived in Dallas), but those are not the only genres I listen to.

But as usual, you let your internalized issues and self-hatred get in the way of having a discussion and depend on the worst stereotypes because you think you're so different from or better than other black people. And then have the nerve to sit here getting all defensive and wonder why people confront you the way that you do when you condescending attitude and instantly thinking the worst of all black people in general in your posts, even when people try to explain those aren't the only things considered traditionally black in America.

I used to think you weren't this obtuse, but I truly think you must be if you think all 40 million black people are a monolithic entity who all enjoy the narrow window of stereotypical activities you listed that you think that all black people supposedly enjoy. If you think those sort of stereotypical activities are what is considered to be 'culturally black' in this country, or assume that is what UT was saying, you are more ignorant than I previously thought.

I see why you didn't fare too well in the South. In spite of your efforts to distance yourself from black culture, talk down to blacks, or align yourself with the whites you so desperately want to be, they let you know real quick what they thought of you. Self-hating tragic mulatto archetypes such as yourself don't usually do to well there. So keep living in your little world of delusions, but you'll get a "Negro Wake-Up!" call sooner or later.
It won't let me rep you again, but good post.

Though, I think your hatred of Texas is misguided, I'll be damned if I don't love an intelligent sista with personality. It makes me weak in the knees, lol.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
you can't be serious when you say you like to see the violence glamorized in hip hop
Let me correct it, I don't like when violence is glamorized but I like when artists portray what really happens in their neighborhoods. The line from glamorized to true life isn't as fine and many artists do make it seem like its a fun/good life.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:02 PM

965 posts, read 1,875,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I hate this argument, the women listen, praise, and dance to these songs willingly. And there are women artists that perform songs with identical content but they aren't generalized as the men are.
Not all women sweetie. Clueless and misguided women who don't know their worth and think with their vaginas rather than know the power of it, yes. If you don't think that black women are generalized from the images portrayed in rap videos, then I have nothing more to say to you. I guess you never heard of the 'Jezebel' stereotype of black women, have you?

There are very few female rappers who have really broke into the mainstream compared to male rappers, so they're not as visible. Before Lil' Kim, most female rappers often talked about womanhood and self worth. I wil admit that 'Big Mama Thang' is a catchy, nasty tune that was a part of the soundtrack of my wayward life in the past, but Lil Kim was selling an image that mainly men responded to. Nicki Minaj sells sex and has all these basic, simple ass, no self-esteem having broads out here thinking they really are Barbie Dolls.

When hip-hop/rap went mainstream and started being controlled by the elites is when things really turned downhill for the genre. I've been called a paranoid, schizophrenic conspiracy theorist when I explain my reasons for why this happened, so I'll just leave it at that and let you figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
It won't let me rep you again, but good post.

Though, I think your hatred of Texas is misguided, I'll be damned if I don't love an intelligent sista with personality. It makes me weak in the knees, lol.
Thanks boo, I tend to have that effect

Old 03-23-2011, 05:35 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,941,493 times
Quote:

No problem. We need to work on getting you a new screen name though, babe. I'm a Cream of Wheat person, personally.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Not all women sweetie. Clueless and misguided women who don't know their worth and think with their vaginas rather than know the power of it, yes. If you don't think that black women are generalized from the images portrayed in rap videos, then I have nothing more to say to you. I guess you never heard of the 'Jezebel' stereotype of black women, have you?

There are very few female rappers who have really broke into the mainstream compared to male rappers, so they're not as visible. Before Lil' Kim, most female rappers often talked about womanhood and self worth. I wil admit that 'Big Mama Thang' is a catchy, nasty tune that was a part of the soundtrack of my wayward life in the past, but Lil Kim was selling an image that mainly men responded to. Nicki Minaj sells sex and has all these basic, simple ass, no self-esteem having broads out here thinking they really are Barbie Dolls.

When hip-hop/rap went mainstream and started being controlled by the elites is when things really turned downhill for the genre. I've been called a paranoid, schizophrenic conspiracy theorist when I explain my reasons for why this happened, so I'll just leave it at that and let you figure it out.

I respect your opinion. Do you like New Orleans bounce music?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City