Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 04:00 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
I know of a few young guys who are good. Not everyone is making BullSht
I know this. There are good hip-hop artists out there. However, how many of those guys get played on the radio? Violence, mysogyny, and the bad stuff sells much more than socially conscious stuff. Sad, but true.

This could be applied to the African-American community as a whole. Bad news sells much more than good news. In fact, I read a National Geographic article about African-Americans in Philadelphia,PA. It is from August 1990. It is written by Roland L. Freeman. He mentions in the beginning that there is so much negative news on television about the African-American community(the murders, drugs,etc). What gets ignored are the decent, hardworking, religious African-Americans who do live in African-American neighborhoods. He took a closer look at the INDIVIDUALS in the African-American community. You can find one photgraph with two children playing the violin. However, this doesn't get on TV(unless it's Soleded O'Brian's Black in America on CNN).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 05:38 PM

832 posts, read 1,254,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I know this. There are good hip-hop artists out there. However, how many of those guys get played on the radio? Violence, mysogyny, and the bad stuff sells much more than socially conscious stuff. Sad, but true.

This could be applied to the African-American community as a whole. Bad news sells much more than good news. In fact, I read a National Geographic article about African-Americans in Philadelphia,PA. It is from August 1990. It is written by Roland L. Freeman. He mentions in the beginning that there is so much negative news on television about the African-American community(the murders, drugs,etc). What gets ignored are the decent, hardworking, religious African-Americans who do live in African-American neighborhoods. He took a closer look at the INDIVIDUALS in the African-American community. You can find one photgraph with two children playing the violin. However, this doesn't get on TV(unless it's Soleded O'Brian's Black in America on CNN).
very true, in fact, seems like the us media doesn't realy like AA, They never portray black african in a bad way, just AA, but like we say, the minority yell louder than the majority

Old 03-24-2011, 06:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
If you watch TV, you'd think the only newsworthy black people are pro athletes or entertainers and there is no such thing as a crime-free black neighborhood or neighborhood with affluent African-Americans. Apparently the "exceptions" are rarities, no other African American is just living a normal life at all.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,086 times
I have followed this thread from the topic: best places to raise an African American child thru debating issues in the African American community. What I did not hear debated or a solution discussed was this type of issue:

In elementary schools in neighborhoods (regardless if the majority is AA or White) of affluence show AA children test scores close to White children test scores, however, when these AA children move into jr high, and high school, their scores drop? What are the causes for this reversal? In middle and upper class communities.

This is a very serious question that must be answered and an action taken. However, if we continue to lose focus on the bigger picture: For the good of all…then what is the debate for? To pump up our chests and show how educated we are? Ummmm!

I for one must raise another child (#5) in my family and I am looking for a community that she can be herself, feel proud of her culture, and respect those who respect her.

How come today as educated African Americans, in some communities we control the school board, but we don’t provide our children with a great education, better living conditions, and enrichment activities?

We have the money. We have the majority vote. We run major cities. Then where is the long term unity to turn the community around? The White man is not holding us back. Period.

The community I live in now (NJ) is 75% AA, (the only suburban AA community in NJ) all single family homes, and control the school board; how do the school system lose $10 million? We have the worst test scores in south jersey. WTF?

And of course, folkes (AA) are going to be p***ed off for airing the dirty laundry. Whatever!

The challenge is this: Who on this forum is stepping up to the plate to make a better life for the next generation of children being raised by grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc? Or are you too unable to make a difference within the AA community because of power and control issues facing you?

I dont want crime, low educational expections, etc. I want clean neighborhoods, high educational expections, the value of my property to increase, etc. I dont want my girl child to live in the "hood" where is she will be treated as property.

Where can I find a community like this?

Remember, no group of people is perfect.

Because the stats say that one out of two marriages failed; which means we are all in the same boat at some point in this life.

Here’s a FYI: Right now in parts of Virginia, Spanish speaking people are the majority, and if you don’t speak Spanish when looking for a job; you are SOL. Ummmm!

We must put aside our differences (which I think is of the plantation slave mentality type), focus on the goal,,, for the good of all...and move forward as some us has.

Last edited by fanwright30; 03-24-2011 at 07:03 PM..

Old 03-24-2011, 07:46 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanwright30 View Post
I have followed this thread from the topic: best places to raise an African American child thru debating issues in the African American community. What I did not hear debated or a solution discussed was this type of issue:

In elementary schools in neighborhoods (regardless if the majority is AA or White) of affluence show AA children test scores close to White children test scores, however, when these AA children move into jr high, and high school, their scores drop? What are the causes for this reversal? In middle and upper class communities.

This is a very serious question that must be answered and an action taken. However, if we continue to lose focus on the bigger picture: For the good of all…then what is the debate for? To pump up our chests and show how educated we are? Ummmm!

I for one must raise another child (#5) in my family and I am looking for a community that she can be herself, feel proud of her culture, and respect those who respect her.

How come today as educated African Americans, in some communities we control the school board, but we don’t provide our children with a great education, better living conditions, and enrichment activities?

We have the money. We have the majority vote. We run major cities. Then where is the long term unity to turn the community around? The White man is not holding us back. Period.

The community I live in now (NJ) is 75% AA, (the only suburban AA community in NJ) all single family homes, and control the school board; how do the school system lose $10 million? We have the worst test scores in south jersey. WTF?

And of course, folkes (AA) are going to be p***ed off for airing the dirty laundry. Whatever!

The challenge is this: Who on this forum is stepping up to the plate to make a better life for the next generation of children being raised by grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc? Or are you too unable to make a difference within the AA community because of power and control issues facing you?
I believe I am. I don't know what else I can do except for what I am doing.

Quote:
I dont want crime, low educational expections, etc. I want clean neighborhoods, high educational expections, the value of my property to increase, etc. I dont want my girl child to live in the "hood" where is she will be treated as property. Where can I find a community like this?
In NJ, I am not sure you can.

Quote:

Because the stats say that one out of two marriages failed; which means we are all in the same boat at some point in this life.

Here’s a FYI: Right now in parts of Virginia, Spanish speaking people are the majority, and if you don’t speak Spanish when looking for a job; you are SOL. Ummmm!

We must put aside our differences (which I think is of the plantation slave mentality type), focus on the goal,,, for the good of all...and move forward as some us has.
Are you from Willingboro? I mentioned Willingboro higher up in the thread.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:02 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:

I dont want crime, low educational expections, etc. I want clean neighborhoods, high educational expections, the value of my property to increase, etc. I dont want my girl child to live in the "hood" where is she will be treated as property.

Where can I find a community like this?

I am very strongly in favor of educational achievement for AAs. And I agree education is an area where Blacks still need to do far better.

However, most AA's don't seem to realize that that is but one important piece of the puzzle but not the entire key to economic success in the Black community. African Americans have actually been gaining on whites educationally for a long time now and cities like Atlanta for instance actually have amongst the highest number of college educated blacks in the nation and indeed blacks in Atlanta actually or more likely to have college education than whites in alot of other cities. Yet Blacks are still falling further and further behind whites when it comes to wealth.

The missing ingredient is business ownership. Blacks are far far less likely to own business than whites or any other race and when they do own business' they tend to be much smaller and make less money than those owned by Whites, Asians or Hispanics.

That is why whites with only a High School Diploma tend to make much more money than Blacks with no more than that. Here's a good illustration of how business ownership is very important as well. Having worked for the Department of Transportation I have seen many skilled white men with only high school education that own their own construction contracting firms that carry out multi-million dollar contracts for the State of Georgia. These men often make considerably more money than many if not most college graduates. ( They also often give high paying jobs as foremen, operators, welders etc. to their sons, nephews, etc. that also often only have high school education.) But you see very few men of color in this position in most places. Atlanta on the contrary, does have a large number of Black Owned Contractors that are very lucrative in fields ranging from Construction to Trucking to other areas. The main reason for this is because decades ago Mayor Maynard Jackson made it a legal requirement that a certain percent of all contracts awarded for work at Atlanta Hartsfield Airport be given to minority owned business.

Outside of construction I've also see Whites without necessarily high educational attainment that own lucrative Trucking firms, restaurants, farms, retail stores, dealerships, wholesalers, lumber companies, salvage companies, repair shops, building suppliers, Realtor s, Jewelry stores, small manufacturing firms, groceries, hotels, hardware stores, air conditioning service, etc,etc.

Most blacks however traditionally limit themselves to small restaurants, groceries, barbershop and haircare, mortuaries, and janitorial services.

The encouragement of ownership of business and help to accomplish significant ownership among blacks in Atlanta is another reason it is favored for black business as well as families by many polls.

Last edited by Galounger; 03-25-2011 at 06:33 AM..

Old 03-25-2011, 08:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,086 times
Ahh! Atlanta! I need to say this first. I want to agree with you G.

However, let me add, it is amazing that Morris Brown is struggling to pay its bills and stay open. The properties around Morris Brown, Clark Atlanta, Spellman, and Morehouse, are in a neighborhood that is run down with no rehab going on. Where are the 1,000’s of alumni, that other historically colleges have, to help improve the neighborhoods? When do they plan to come back? Where are the beautiful homes, the eateries, the neighborhood pride?

My granddaughter is attending Spellman now. She is the first to go away to college, and attend an HBCU. We had never been to Atlanta until we arrived for orientation. The neighborhood around Rutgers in Camden (one of the poorest cities in the US) is in better condition than these HBCUs. How come?

Streets of abandoned houses. Around our treasured colleges! WTF?

The neighborhood around Rutgers in Newark has been growing and developing for years. Newark of all places. No HBCUs here in this urban city. Ummm!
I researched as much as I could before we arrived and found information praising Atlanta as the place to be. Really. Ummm!

How come the graduates did not come back to “help” develop the area? What mentally happened? Was it: It isn’t my problem. I am only here for me- F***them. What then? How come part of the college business classes is not designed to create real businesses near these campuses which would create wealth?

These are college professors, with a background in business, right? Or are they imposters? Ummm!

AAs run the city of Atlanta. They have the money. They have the talent. So, what happened mentally that stopped these 1000’s of AA’s (who by the way are business students) from hanging their shingle in the area, and increasing the value of the properties around these colleges thus bringing value and a sense of safety to the area?

No business plan? A power struggle? No focus? What?

How long have African Americans run Atlanta? With how many AA mayors? So, how come their focus and priority wasn’t to increase the value of the neighborhoods of our treasured institutions? In the three years my granddaughter has been there, still no progress. No plan to bridge the city government, college students, and business development. WTF!

Here is an FYI: Beverly Hall, the current superintendent of Atlanta schools, the National Superintendent of the year, came from Newark. She has been on a mission for 10 years+ to turn around Atlanta’s low expectations of its students. In those ten years, she has been gone from Newark, the education of Newark students has stayed the same. Lowest scores in the state. Ummm! AAs run the city of Newark. They have the money. They have the talent. So, what happened? If Beverly Hall is doing her part, to get a better student body to the surrounding colleges, where are the thousands that should be working on creating value and safety for the neighborhood these students are in?

Thus showing elementary, jr high, and high school students that one can create wealth another way instead of by way of sports, music, and gang violence. The area around the HBCUs should be a top priority. Period.

We must create value for our treasures; our children, our neighborhoods, and our institutions just as we create value for our cars, music, and other stuff. We must stay focused on those priorities until the goal is reached. If other groups of people are staying unified, so can we.

Last edited by fanwright30; 03-25-2011 at 08:22 AM..

Old 03-25-2011, 10:30 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Before I say this I will admit I think rap does have some effect on people and kids but...

If you allow your offspring to be totally influenced by celebrities and music, to the point where they're living their lives through the music, part of the blame needs to be put on the parent for allowing that to happen.

First Rap was Art imitating Life but now its the total opposite. What's even worse is that have these rappers signed to major lables are broke and in debt. The only ones making the real money are the rappers with lucritive deals, big time endorsements and huge fanbases.

mas23
You can't really depend on rapping alone, unless you been in the game for over 10 years and all your albums sold at least gold(at least one platnium) on the first week. The quest to reach 8-9 figure money in hip hop is having your own clothing line, perfume, owning half of a professional sports team etc. This is why P. Diddy is the richest ''rapper" according to Forbes and Jay-Z is a close with both approaching half a billion. I put that in quotes because P. Diddy is not a rapper per se.
Richest Rappers 2011 – Forbes Wealthiest Hip Hip Artists ‹ The Richest People In The World 2011

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 03-25-2011 at 10:45 AM..

Old 03-25-2011, 12:32 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Ahh! Atlanta! I need to say this first. I want to agree with you G.

However, let me add, it is amazing that Morris Brown is struggling to pay its bills and stay open. The properties around Morris Brown, Clark Atlanta, Spellman, and Morehouse, are in a neighborhood that is run down with no rehab going on. Where are the 1,000’s of alumni, that other historically colleges have, to help improve the neighborhoods? When do they plan to come back? Where are the beautiful homes, the eateries, the neighborhood pride?

My granddaughter is attending Spellman now. She is the first to go away to college, and attend an HBCU. We had never been to Atlanta until we arrived for orientation. The neighborhood around Rutgers in Camden (one of the poorest cities in the US) is in better condition than these HBCUs. How come?

Streets of abandoned houses. Around our treasured colleges! WTF?

The neighborhood around Rutgers in Newark has been growing and developing for years. Newark of all places. No HBCUs here in this urban city. Ummm!
I researched as much as I could before we arrived and found information praising Atlanta as the place to be. Really. Ummm!

How come the graduates did not come back to “help” develop the area? What mentally happened? Was it: It isn’t my problem. I am only here for me- F***them. What then? How come part of the college business classes is not designed to create real businesses near these campuses which would create wealth?

These are college professors, with a background in business, right? Or are they imposters? Ummm!

AAs run the city of Atlanta. They have the money. They have the talent. So, what happened mentally that stopped these 1000’s of AA’s (who by the way are business students) from hanging their shingle in the area, and increasing the value of the properties around these colleges thus bringing value and a sense of safety to the area?

No business plan? A power struggle? No focus? What?

How long have African Americans run Atlanta? With how many AA mayors? So, how come their focus and priority wasn’t to increase the value of the neighborhoods of our treasured institutions? In the three years my granddaughter has been there, still no progress. No plan to bridge the city government, college students, and business development. WTF!

Here is an FYI: Beverly Hall, the current superintendent of Atlanta schools, the National Superintendent of the year, came from Newark. She has been on a mission for 10 years+ to turn around Atlanta’s low expectations of its students. In those ten years, she has been gone from Newark, the education of Newark students has stayed the same. Lowest scores in the state. Ummm! AAs run the city of Newark. They have the money. They have the talent. So, what happened? If Beverly Hall is doing her part, to get a better student body to the surrounding colleges, where are the thousands that should be working on creating value and safety for the neighborhood these students are in?

Thus showing elementary, jr high, and high school students that one can create wealth another way instead of by way of sports, music, and gang violence. The area around the HBCUs should be a top priority. Period.

We must create value for our treasures; our children, our neighborhoods, and our institutions just as we create value for our cars, music, and other stuff. We must stay focused on those priorities until the goal is reached. If other groups of people are staying unified, so can we.

I agree with you whole heartily. I have a relative that graduated from Morris Brown and another that used to live nearby. I've never understood why more hasn't been done for that area. Some improvement is going on there now but really it suffers from the exact same type of abandonment by the Black middle class that countless other inner city neighborhoods across the nation experience. It's a shame though. That area has so much potential and cleaning it up would do so much to benefit the educational institutions located there as well.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:38 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
You can't really depend on rapping alone, unless you been in the game for over 10 years and all your albums sold at least gold(at least one platnium) on the first week. The quest to reach 8-9 figure money in hip hop is having your own clothing line, perfume, owning half of a professional sports team etc. This is why P. Diddy is the richest ''rapper" according to Forbes and Jay-Z is a close with both approaching half a billion. I put that in quotes because P. Diddy is not a rapper per se.
Richest Rappers 2011 – Forbes Wealthiest Hip Hip Artists ‹ The Richest People In The World 2011
Having your Own Label is also another way to make money. JayZ, Diddy, Baby & Slim from Cash Money, Dr Dre are all filthy rich partially because of this. If their artists do good then they do good as well. Kinda crazy if you think about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City