Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 01:16 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
"But, but, but, the rich blacks are staying."
Why do you find that assertion to be worthy of ridicule?

We are constantly told how great DC and Atlanta are specifically because they have lots of professional Blacks, well guess what, so does Oakland.

Quote:
Bro, the bay area is done with black culture.
I notice on C-D and elsewhere, Blacks in the South and Northeast and apparently the Midwest too, all have a misguided sense of superiority when it comes to Blacks in CA.

They actually believe that the portrayal of Blacks in 1980s-1990s south central gang movies is more or less, an accurate desciption of Blacks in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 03:10 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

We are constantly told how great DC and Atlanta are specifically because they have lots of professional Blacks, well guess what, so does Oakland.

I notice on C-D and elsewhere, Blacks in the South and Northeast and apparently the Midwest too, all have a misguided sense of superiority when it comes to Blacks in CA.

They actually believe that the portrayal of Blacks in 1980s-1990s south central gang movies is more or less, an accurate desciption of Blacks in CA.
DC and Atlanta are great for black people, because they are "black meccas". A place where working, middle, and upper class blacks can live the American dream. No one lives the California dream unless they are rich, even more the case for blacks in CA.

I notice that blacks are not a monolithic group that thinks and acts the same. Maybe that is how you view the world, but I have not noticed any blacks displaying false senses of regional superiority. It is usually just hipsters from the bay that do that type of thing. From what I can tell that 'scene' is not very black.

I think Californians just get upset when they claim to be diverse, and someone back east points out they have few black people. Too be honest, I could see why many would want to leave. CA has never had a black senator and voted for Mrs. Clinton over Barrack in the primary. There is simply a more welcoming population else where-which ironically is THE SOUTH.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:43 AM

507 posts, read 806,462 times
LOL ^^^ this guy acts as if cities are striving for black people, newsflash buddy, latinos and blacks are for the most part a burden to a city not an asset, I say this as a minority myself so please don't send me any hate messages

Old 04-22-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
DC and Atlanta are great for black people, because they are "black meccas".
It an incorrect assumption that just because a city is not a 'black mecca', therefore a Black family can't do well there.

So the thread needs to clarify if we're talking about Black Meccas, which are easily defined by population and that should be that, or if we're talking about places where Blacks do better socio-economically.

And its interesting that Oakland has more Black households earning $100,000+ than Atlanta:

Quote:
A place where working, middle, and upper class blacks can live the American dream. No one lives the California dream unless they are rich, even more the case for blacks in CA.
Well that's funny, cause most Blacks in the Bay Area live in middle class suburbs.

Quote:
but I have not noticed any blacks displaying false senses of regional superiority.
I most definitely have. Sometimes when I travel and the topic of California comes up, on occasion there have been comments made to the affect that Blacks in CA are more 'ghetto' or 'hood'-and its always Black people that say that.

Even here on C-D, there's an almost instant dismissal when it comes to Blacks in CA vs Blacks everywhere else, as if Blacks everywhere else are wayyy better off. Statistically they are NOT, btw.

And it has nothing to do with how I view anything, the world or otherwise.

Quote:
I think Californians just get upset when they claim to be diverse, and someone back east points out they have few black people.
California is generally more diverse than the East, if we're being statistical about it. Its not really a matter of opinion, fyi.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:06 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

I do actually think those 80s-90s gang movies and the rise of west coast hip-hop in the early 90s gave people a lot of misguided ideas about blacks in California. Certainly about the gang culture, but also about the sheer population as well. I was shocked when I first became interested in demographics and statistics and found out that Texas's black population was actually a good bit larger than Cali's. For better or for worse, I grew up thinking every other neighborhood in Cali cities was like south central, lol.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:17 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
I am actually studying jim crow laws right now and i can say Chicago actually had one of the most soft jim crow laws. Cities like Detroit, cleveland, cincinnati has far worst jim crow laws.
Detroit had Jim Crow type actions, Michigan itself I believe didn't actually enact any Jim Crow laws like Ohio, Illinois and Indiana that would effect the cities and towns. The northern states that did not enact any official Jim Crow laws definitely made sure their effects were felt or else--rule by fear.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I do actually think those 80s-90s gang movies and the rise of west coast hip-hop in the early 90s gave people a lot of misguided ideas about blacks in California. Certainly about the gang culture, but also about the sheer population as well. I was shocked when I first became interested in demographics and statistics and found out that Texas's black population was actually a good bit larger than Cali's. For better or for worse, I grew up thinking every other neighborhood in Cali cities was like south central, lol.
Thank you.

Yeah, I don't blame you and others for having that impression. The media shoulders much of the blame for this one-sided image being blasted around the world.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:22 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
LOL ^^^ this guy acts as if cities are striving for black people, newsflash buddy, latinos and blacks are for the most part a burden to a city not an asset, I say this as a minority myself so please don't send me any hate messages
Cities strive for productive people. They can care less who that person is. That person is a taxpayer ergo money talks. That notion you just spouted off is well, foolish.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:50 AM

So the biggest destination of Blacks leaving Oakland are to surrounding suburbs and exurbs. Here are a few examples of this:

Census Tract 355108 Antioch, Contra Costa County, California(40.5 miles East of Oakland) saw its Black population soar by 144% between 2000-2010 and today 24% of the population of this neighborhood is Black:

Census Tract 253 Vacaville, Solano County, California(47.7 miles Northeast of Oakland) saw its Black population soar by 151% between 2000-2010 and Blacks are now 43% of the population in this neighborhood.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
DC and Atlanta are great for black people, because they are "black meccas". A place where working, middle, and upper class blacks can live the American dream. No one lives the California dream unless they are rich, even more the case for blacks in CA.

I notice that blacks are not a monolithic group that thinks and acts the same. Maybe that is how you view the world, but I have not noticed any blacks displaying false senses of regional superiority. It is usually just hipsters from the bay that do that type of thing. From what I can tell that 'scene' is not very black.

I think Californians just get upset when they claim to be diverse, and someone back east points out they have few black people. Too be honest, I could see why many would want to leave. CA has never had a black senator and voted for Mrs. Clinton over Barrack in the primary. There is simply a more welcoming population else where-which ironically is THE SOUTH.
For the most part, California has moved beyond the diversity = White/Black thing. For a large part because after you've been here a certain number of generations, you tend to just become (blank). For example, a lot of formerly ethnic whites (Polish, German, Italian, Irish) are just now white. Even among groups that retain their sub-cultural identities (Jewish, Irish), they're pretty mainstreamed. DC/Oakland are great places for blacks, imo, because not only do they have a rich sub-cultural history but they're also places where blacks have had a history of interacting with American culture as a whole. They didn't just live in black neighborhoods (or entire cities, look at bordering San Leandro), go to black churches, work at black jobs. Since that cultural boundary has greatly eroded over the last two generations, it's much less important to live somewhere with a large black population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City