Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:01 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It all depends on the green! In Oakland most neighborhoods are really diverse, but the poorest neighborhoods aren't that diverse. You run into educated, middle class + black people everywhere in Oakland, but the families move to greener pastures. One of my neighbors moved is planning to move his family as his kid enters school age and he was trying to sell me on Denver. Apparently there are quite a few middle class black areas there. Who knew.
Oakland has wealthy and middle class predominantly Black neighborhoods that are very family oriented but as you stated, those who can't afford to make it to the hills will seek greener pastures within their range of affordability. I dont blame them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 10:27 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,070,444 times
I cant believe that the Raleigh-Durham area is ahead of Atlanta and Charlotte though.

I always thought that it was in this order.

1. Wash, DC
2. Atlanta
3. Charlotte
4. Raleigh-Durham

Old 03-17-2011, 10:41 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,303,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
I cant believe that the Raleigh-Durham area is ahead of Atlanta and Charlotte though.

1. Wash, DC
2. Atlanta
3. Charlotte
4. Raleigh-Durham
I did as well. I guess they may be referring to quality. I know Durham is one of the most "blackest" cities in NC and having RTP in its backyard definitely adds to the level affluence there. Although Charlotte is definitely no slouch. And Atlanta, what else needs to be said?

Old 03-17-2011, 10:48 PM

963 posts, read 2,409,930 times
Quote:

1. Wash, DC
2. Atlanta
3. Charlotte
4. Raleigh-Durham
Raleigh-Durham is - per-capta - the whitest of those MSAs. The African-American population however spits neatly into 2 or 3 groups:

Durham's African-American middle class, which has a very, very extensive history there.

LOTS of transplants - African-American, African, Asian, European expats - who are drawn in because of RTP, UNC, Duke, NCSU. Those folks are very high-achieving, heavily in government or academia, much moreso than business.

That noted, there are some big pockets of relative blight in east Durham as well.

The other thing that might have made RDU score so high - affordability relative to the NE or West Coast, and schools. Durham's schools are not so highly regarded; Raleigh/Wake County schools have historically been extremely well-regarded and very diverse throughout the county, though political turmoil in the school board there may have an adverse effect on that. Chapel Hill/Carrboro has one of the top rated public school districts on the East Coast - I know people who have moved from several states away, into a town with a median home price twice the state average, just go to get their kids into the schools here. Orange County schools are only slightly less impressive. Unemployment rates are well below the state average. And lastly - it's politically a very left-of-center area - massively moreso than any other city in the Carolinas (save for Asheville), very diverse and multi ethnic.

The influx here is definitely African-Americans who are middle-class or better, and are very integrated through the area - save for parts of Durham, there are very few (by Southern standards) geographical African-American communities of the traditional kind. That can offer a certain kind of appeal.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:20 PM
DMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I did as well. I guess they may be referring to quality. I know Durham is one of the most "blackest" cities in NC and having RTP in its backyard definitely adds to the level affluence there. Although Charlotte is definitely no slouch. And Atlanta, what else needs to be said?
Yeah that was a shocker for me. I always thought that after the DC area it was Atlanta with the most affluent blacks, then Charlotte and the Raleigh-Durham Area right after, but I guess I was wrong. I guess once you add in good public education, affordable housing, sustainable median household income and a vibrant social life there rankings sort of change.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:23 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,267,421 times
1. Camden, NJ
2. Chester, PA
3. Gary, IN
4. East Saint Louis, IL
5. Detroit, MI
6. Highland Park, MI
7. Hamtramck, MI
8. Compton, CA
9. Belle Glade, FL
10. Opa-Locka, FL

Old 03-17-2011, 11:29 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
It looks like crap to me. Black kids are best raised in places where there are not a lot of other black kids. All ten of those cities are thus disqualified.

Better list:

1. Boise, ID
2. Fargo, ND
3. Butte, MT
4. Huntington, WV
5. Walla Walla, WA
6. Missoula, MT
7. Dubuque, Iowa
8. Tigard, OR
9. Anchorage, AK
10. Vermillion, SD
I don't even know what to say about this post without being banned from City-Data.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:33 PM
DMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Raleigh-Durham is - per-capta - the whitest of those MSAs. The African-American population however spits neatly into 2 or 3 groups:

Durham's African-American middle class, which has a very, very extensive history there.

LOTS of transplants - African-American, African, Asian, European expats - who are drawn in because of RTP, UNC, Duke, NCSU. Those folks are very high-achieving, heavily in government or academia, much moreso than business.

That noted, there are some big pockets of relative blight in east Durham as well.

The other thing that might have made RDU score so high - affordability relative to the NE or West Coast, and schools. Durham's schools are not so highly regarded; Raleigh/Wake County schools have historically been extremely well-regarded and very diverse throughout the county, though political turmoil in the school board there may have an adverse effect on that. Chapel Hill/Carrboro has one of the top rated public school districts on the East Coast - I know people who have moved from several states away, into a town with a median home price twice the state average, just go to get their kids into the schools here. Orange County schools are only slightly less impressive. Unemployment rates are well below the state average. And lastly - it's politically a very left-of-center area - massively moreso than any other city in the Carolinas (save for Asheville), very diverse and multi ethnic.

The influx here is definitely African-Americans who are middle-class or better, and are very integrated through the area - save for parts of Durham, there are very few (by Southern standards) geographical African-American communities of the traditional kind. That can offer a certain kind of appeal.
WOW, thanks for the info..... Didn't know that the Raleigh-Durham Area had a higher Median income per capta over Atlanta and Charlotte, so that alone just about sums it up then. With the RD Area having all those great Schools along with the RTP and some of the other things you've mentioned can make it a bit hard to surpass I guess.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:36 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Quote:
Yeah that was a shocker for me. I always thought that after the DC area it was Atlanta with the most affluent blacks, then Charlotte and the Raleigh-Durham Area right after, but I guess I was wrong. I guess once you add in good public education, affordable housing, sustainable median household income and a vibrant social life there rankings sort of change.
In our supposed "post racial" world, what's good for one group of people is good for all.

That said, I think that any community that is tied by a common bond would thrive much better in an environment that feels welcoming and accepting.

Given those two points, it's no surprise to me that Raleigh/Durham fares very well in ANY category for families of any kind.

There are still places in this country that dismiss the Triangle but they better watch out. The Triangle is not an "also ran" and will surprise even the non-believers in the next few decades.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:44 PM
DMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
In our supposed "post racial" world, what's good for one group of people is good for all.

That said, I think that any community that is tied by a common bond would thrive much better in an environment that feels welcoming and accepting.

Given those two points, it's no surprise to me that Raleigh/Durham fares very well in ANY category for families of any kind.

There are still places in this country that dismiss the Triangle but they better watch out. The Triangle is not an "also ran" and will surprise even the non-believers in the next few decades.
Good Point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City