Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:24 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times

Advertisements

I'm actually surprised Oakland didn't make the list. It's by far the best offering California has and pretty much the whole west coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:37 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I'm actually surprised Oakland didn't make the list. It's by far the best offering California has and pretty much the whole west coast.
Oakland has one of the highest murder rates in the USA. I'm actually wondering why Birmingham,AL and Memphis made this list.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:46 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
Why is Houston on the list? I've seen the black neighborhoods here and it doesn't look like the families there are prospering. If Houston is considered a good place for blacks than I'm afraid to see how black families are living in the cities that didn't make the list.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:58 PM

342 posts, read 912,305 times
That list is crap

d.c. Atlanta and baltimore would be on that list if it weren't for their high crime rates!!!
Especially atlanta "more house for your money" way cheaper than living in d.c. Or bmore

Old 03-18-2011, 10:36 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Oakland has one of the highest murder rates in the USA. I'm actually wondering why Birmingham,AL and Memphis made this list.

And you're not wondering why DC is #1 on the list if murder is your biggest concern?

Oakland has far more than crime... in terms of this thread, a very large percentage of the black population is college-educated and lives in the wealthier sections of the city. The hills as a whole are about a quarter black, and a lot of the upper middle class areas are upwards of that. In a lot of the middle class neighborhoods, blacks are a majority. There are no shortage of extremely diverse neighborhoods... blacks, asians, whites and hispanics all have a very noticeable and nearly equal presence in the city, and this diversity can be seen nearly everywhere in the city. None of the cities on this list can say that.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:48 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
It looks like crap to me. Black kids are best raised in places where there are not a lot of other black kids. All ten of those cities are thus disqualified.

Better list:

1. Boise, ID
2. Fargo, ND
3. Butte, MT
4. Huntington, WV
5. Walla Walla, WA
6. Missoula, MT
7. Dubuque, Iowa
8. Tigard, OR
9. Anchorage, AK
10. Vermillion, SD
You have to be kidding me.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I agree with the top half of the list more so than the bottom half.

It's hard to argue with DC being at the top even though it's incredibly expensive here. You would need a joint income of $200K to live decently in the burbs and around $450K to live comfortably in the city.

The omission of New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago from the list is obviously ridiculous.
All of those cities are great for African American professionals, especially single ones. Families, not so much. If you include the 'burbs, New York is one of the best, and Chicago is not bad. Though there are some nice areas outside Philadelphia, none of them have affluent black neighborhoods or enclaves.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'd say Toronto. In Toronto no one even notices that you are black. You'r just a person, an individual. I have two grandsons there that are black and I really don't think they even have an awareness of that. What they know is it seems to them that people come in a lot of different shades of colour,sizes,shapes. People have straight hair,curly hair, blond hair,black hair kinky hair,NO Hair LOL that's me. They are very fortunate to live in a completely diverse neighbourhood and all of the different people don't have labels attached to them.

I'm being a little sarcastic here obviously. Americans can't just up and leave the USA but I really think my point is valid. We are Canadians first and foremost. New Canadians pretty much have left their old culture behind after just one generation here in Canada. People still celebrate their origins but it's in a totally positive manner. When the Carabana celebration comes to Toronto every summer it's every one's celebration not just the west Indian population. Multi culturalism is really the answer to problems of race. When in your entire life you have been surrounded by literally scores of cultures race becomes really a non issue.

Love Toronto, but yeah, there's that little immigration problem. Plus it's really cold up there.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The black people in Canada do not have a culture that resembles anything like the black ghetto culture of the USA. Maybe some think there is some redeeming qualities in that culture but I sure don't see it. Change comes from the inside out for sure but it doesn't help to effect any change when you view yourself as just another "Homie in the hood".
Neither do I. Neither do a lot of African Americans. Just what are you trying to imply here?

Old 03-18-2011, 11:06 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
God! All these references to the "black neighborhood", ghettos and the like make me want to puke. Can we not even look at black families as people first?....families that have the same priorities and concerns that other families have? I can understand the importance of having a welcoming culture, a familiarity and a sense of belonging but why must we instantly categorize people along old stereotypes and assumptions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City