Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tenn without Nashville vs Georgia without Atlanta (city not MSA)
Georgia without Atlanta(city only) 49 30.06%
Tenn without Nashville(city only) 103 63.19%
Equal Tie 11 6.75%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:15 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,731,765 times

Advertisements

So in another thread it came up that Georgia without Atlanta Is just MS,AL or Tennessee.However a few people interjected and stated that now way Georgia was even close.So what does that mean.Should it just be gdp vs gdp,population or health of the economy.Which would be more popular overall?

Big cities are not the only thing that should be considered.This is a state to state comparison without both of its largest and most influential cities,I think its fair not to include MSA of these two cities.Mainly because Atlanta sprawl is over a quarter of the state.Some of those are completely autonomous of Atlanta.

I think it is also appropriate to talk about this same comparison for other states vs Georgia also.

P.S. Lets not make this a tear down of these states.They are all great places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 11:19 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,259,559 times
Same sh1t

Old 03-17-2011, 11:22 PM

639 posts, read 1,285,452 times
TN by a long shot. TN is not a one trick pony. Take away Nashville they still have Knoxville, Memphis, Chattanooga, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg.

Atlanta is the GA showstopper.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:25 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,259,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
TN by a long shot. TN is not a one trick pony. Take away Nashville they still have Knoxville, Memphis, Chattanooga, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg.

What about Savannah?

Old 03-17-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post

Remember thiS is not MSA vs MSA.This GA vs TN.
The port of Savannah and Brunswick pack a powerfull punch.Also Georgia has huge military bases all over.

639 posts, read 1,285,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
What about Savannah?
Savanna and Macon are nice small cities, but they can't compete with Memphis, or Knoxville.

MPC

703 posts, read 1,259,629 times
Georgia without ATL City would still have 9.3 Million, Tennessee without Nashville would have 5.7 Million. Even though Tennessee does have more established cities, just taking the actual city of Atlanta away from georgia wouldn't make a dent in GA economy. Metros now, thats a little different lol.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:01 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,276,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPortCity View Post
Georgia without ATL City would still have 9.3 Million, Tennessee without Nashville would have 5.7 Million. Even though Tennessee does have more established cities, just taking the actual city of Atlanta away from georgia wouldn't make a dent in GA economy. Metros now, thats a little different lol.
My question is what would taking out the central city do for a regional economy, though? Both Atlanta and Nashville are very important economic, cultural, and transportation hubs for the respective areas...while some already established cities that became "absorbed" in the MSA might be fine, it would devestate most of the suburbs that are simply there because of the city. You have to remember that the important rail and air hubs, not just the interstates, would be lost without the two cities. Most of the inner suburbs would be devestated. The exburbs and outer burbs would definitely be impacted, but likely to a lesser extent. I, for one, cannot just see making this comparison with the cities absent...because their regions would be nothing without them.

As for the OP, it's kind of how you frame the argument. TN without Nashville city vs. Georgia without Atlanta city would favor Georgia. TN without Nashville metro vs. Georgia without Atlanta metro would favor Tennessee.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
My question is what would taking out the central city do for a regional economy, though? Both Atlanta and Nashville are very important economic, cultural, and transportation hubs for the respective areas...while some already established cities that became "absorbed" in the MSA might be fine, it would devestate most of the suburbs that are simply there because of the city. You have to remember that the important rail and air hubs, not just the interstates, would be lost without the two cities. Most of the inner suburbs would be devestated. The exburbs and outer burbs would definitely be impacted, but likely to a lesser extent. I, for one, cannot just see making this comparison with the cities absent...because their regions would be nothing without them.

As for the OP, it's kind of how you frame the argument. TN without Nashville city vs. Georgia without Atlanta city would favor Georgia. TN without Nashville metro vs. Georgia without Atlanta metro would favor Tennessee.
I agree.It is how you frame the question.I went back and forth.But I decided to only take the city center out of the equation and just focus on cities and counties.
In the Atlanta MSA/CSA there are cities that can stand on their own.Cities like Marietta,Gainesville,Decatur,Athens,Dalton etc...
Marietta itself has its own Cobb Energy Center,public transportation,headquarters of many companies and employment centers.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,276,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I agree.It is how you frame the question.I went back and forth.But I decided to only take the city center out of the equation and just focus on cities and counties.
In the Atlanta MSA/CSA there are cities that can stand on their own.Cities like Marietta,Gainesville,Decatur,Athens,Dalton etc...
Marietta itself has its own Cobb Energy Center,public transportation,headquarters of many companies and employment centers.
Yes, I understand that...Nashville MSA is the same way. Brentwood and Franklin have a number of corporate headquarters...Murfreesboro, Smyrna, and La Vergne have a number of factories and logistical centers...but how many of those places be there without Nashville's air and rail hubs?

Perhaps rather than Metro, comparing each without its urbanized area would be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City