Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:39 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,006 times

Advertisements

Well Florida was released and much as I expected Central Florida dominated growth in the state.

One thing I noticed is that even Orange County and Hillsborough County (Orlando and Tampa respectively) grew by more than 25% which it appears it not very common as most main counties seem to have grown but by smaller percentages.

As an example of what I'm talking about:
2010 Census Data - 2010 Census

Look at Georgia and while there is ample growth around Atlanta its not in Dekalb County or Fulton County at the 25% mark.

So I'm wondering especially since I don't know all the County names to quickly check - are there any other cities like Orlando and Tampa that have the primary county at the +25% growth?

Pheonix (Maricopa), AZ does not
Dallas (Dallas), TX does not
Houston (Harris), TX does not
San Antonio (Bexar/Medina), TX does not

So this is difficult since I don't know County Names or how to easily spot them but I'm curious if any other major cities are still growing at such a quick pace as central Florida where even the primary county is growing. Most I've looked at appear to be mainly outter areas that are continuing to grow at such a high pace. You can see it very clearly in California where the entire coast with all the major cities are still growing but at a smaller pace to the inland segment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:58 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Well Florida was released and much as I expected Central Florida dominated growth in the state.

One thing I noticed is that even Orange County and Hillsborough County (Orlando and Tampa respectively) grew by more than 25% which it appears it not very common as most main counties seem to have grown but by smaller percentages.

As an example of what I'm talking about:
2010 Census Data - 2010 Census

Look at Georgia and while there is ample growth around Atlanta its not in Dekalb County or Fulton County at the 25% mark.

So I'm wondering especially since I don't know all the County names to quickly check - are there any other cities like Orlando and Tampa that have the primary county at the +25% growth?

Pheonix (Maricopa), AZ does not
Dallas (Dallas), TX does not
Houston (Harris), TX does not
San Antonio (Bexar/Medina), TX does not

So this is difficult since I don't know County Names or how to easily spot them but I'm curious if any other major cities are still growing at such a quick pace as central Florida where even the primary county is growing. Most I've looked at appear to be mainly outter areas that are continuing to grow at such a high pace. You can see it very clearly in California where the entire coast with all the major cities are still growing but at a smaller pace to the inland segment.
You don't expect Maricopa and Harris to grow by 25%, have you seen the populations of these counties? These are 4th and 3rd largest counties in the US by population, it is silly to compare these to Orange and Hillsborough.

by the way, both Maricopa and Harris grew by over 700,000 people

Old 03-18-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You don't expect Maricopa and Harris to grow by 25%, have you seen the populations of these counties? These are 4th and 3rd largest counties in the US by population, it is silly to compare these to Orange and Hillsborough.

Nobody is comparing or saying they aren't bigger but it doesn't change what I said and you offered no response.

Look at other cities if you prefer closer to Orlando in size:
Pittsburgh's Alleghany County lost population
Cincinnati's Hamilton County lost population
Kansas City's Jackson County grew by a smaller percentage

Close to Tampa:
Baltimore (Independent City) lost population
San Diego (San Diego) grew by a smaller percentage
St. Louis (Independent City) lost population

I'm not saying this is good or bad, just an observation and trying to see if Orange and Hillsborough were the only two significant counties (county containing over 1 million) that saw a +25% population growth still.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:23 AM

Ah in writing that I figured out an easier way to figure this out - just look at the +25% counties and quickly see which have >1,000,000 pop.

Just found another one Clark County NV (Las Vegas)
Wake County, NC (Raleigh) and Mecklenburg NC (Charlotte) are both pushing it with +25% growth at just under 1 million county population.

These are the only ones I've seen, I may have missed some as I didn't check states that I didn't suspect could have one and some states obviously aren't up yet.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:44 PM

Ah got one more - Sacramento California cleared the 25% mark and has over 1 million people in the county.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:10 PM

310 posts, read 575,632 times
Wake County, NC (Raleigh) up 43%

Census: Suburban, urban counties blossom; rural counties wilt - Real Estate News - NewsObserver.com

Old 03-18-2011, 08:12 PM

963 posts, read 2,410,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
Wake County, NC (Raleigh) up 43%
Mecklenburg County, NC (Charlotte) up 32%

New Hanover County, NC (Wilmington) up 26%

Pitt County, NC (Greenville) up 25%

Wake and Mecklenburg will hit the million mark within 5 years or so.

New Hanover is the smallest county in NC, and one of the most densely built. It's up to 202,000; the city of Wilmington is up to 106,000 from 75,000 in 2000.

Pitt is in eastern NC, a one-county MSA around the city of Greenville. Greenville is the 10th largest city in the state, and the city will likely hit 100,000 before the 2020 census (there are currently 9 cities in NC over 100,000; I expect it will be 11-13 by 2020).

Old 03-19-2011, 12:34 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Ah in writing that I figured out an easier way to figure this out - just look at the +25% counties and quickly see which have >1,000,000 pop.

Just found another one Clark County NV (Las Vegas)
Wake County, NC (Raleigh) and Mecklenburg NC (Charlotte) are both pushing it with +25% growth at just under 1 million county population.

These are the only ones I've seen, I may have missed some as I didn't check states that I didn't suspect could have one and some states obviously aren't up yet.
At a 43% growth rate, Wake County was probably the fastest growing core county of any city in the top 50 in the nation. Clark Co. NV (Las Vegas) was probably second.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:23 PM

Top 50 is a big stretch I was as I said looking at the over 1 million mark. But yeah Raleigh and North Carolina as a whole seem to be exploding right now.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:11 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Oh dont like it when the size of the borders hurt a metric only when they help it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City