Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:25 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I mean we could say that I'm knitpicking or paying to much attention to the details, but it's the details that make Atlanta Atlanta and any other city any other city.
Yes, we would say that . I mean, waronxmas wasn't saying that they were supposed to look exactly alike; he was merely suggesting that that street highly resembled a NO neighborhood, which it does.

Forget about the architecture, trees, and the street. Just look at the set-up.

Quote:
This is more like shoulder-to-shoulder though Google Maps
Lol were we looking at the same Atlanta scene? Those homes on the left literally shared porches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 10:27 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,553 times
Quote:
I get where he was trying to go, but it didn't make it completely.
I assume he was reaching for something similar to this..?
Google Maps or Google Maps
Well what more would you like to see, people eating beignet's on the porch?

It's still Georgia my friend...

As someone who thinks Savannah/Mobile have little to nothing in common with N.O., this little nit-pick came as no surprise.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:30 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Yes, we would say that . I mean, waronxmas wasn't saying that they were supposed to look exactly alike; he was merely suggesting that that street highly resembled a NO neighborhood, which it does.

Forget about the architecture, trees, and the street. Just look at the set-up.

Lol were we looking at the same Atlanta scene? Those homes on the left literally shared porches.
If you have to throw all that out than it defeats the purpose of the comparison.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:53 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
Well what more would you like to see, people eating beignet's on the porch?
If I saw that, I would be all of 100% convinced that I had died and went to hell.

Quote:
It's still Georgia my friend...

As someone who thinks Savannah/Mobile have little to nothing in common with N.O., this little nit-pick came as no surprise.
There share commonalities in the historical areas. Everywhere else not so much. But, hey everything looks the same to you. What do I know? Somebody pass me a daq and drop a triggerman beat so we can get this thread started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
If you have to throw all that out than it defeats the purpose of the comparison.
ikr

Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Nope. Like I said, it's the set-up that waronxmas seemed to be pointing out. Regardless, the architecture isn't all that extremely different anyway.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:23 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
I've read this thread and have been very intrigued.

I think people are making a mistake of considering some things northeastern that were actually qualities around the country depending on the era (time) that a building was built. I admit to some extent some cities were more predominately built in an era that made buildings a certain way, but I must admit I chuckled when I heard comments about brick buildings, grittiness, etc...

Atlanta is surrounded by a hard red clay in the ground that is great for making bricks. Brick buildings are and always have been very common here. They are used in the old parts of our town and in suburban homes in just about every era and are very prevalent in the most rural area of Georgia's cities. In fact the typical southern town is nothing but brick buildings 1-3 stories tall in a little tight-knit town.

The south was also very gritty and industrious, but early on it was never very big. We had alot of spread out textile facilities that were commonly placed on rivers, especially near the fall line.

Then all the talks about density and suburbs... there are suburbs everywhere and around just about every city... often very sprawled... but when those were built it was just what was common at the time. It didn't necessarily always change what was already there.

I also have to say New Orleans ... it is a southern city. Atlanta is a southern city and so is Miami.

Miami is unique with all of that bright, vibrant art-deco arcitecture and heavy Latin American influences. Nola has that French and Spanish architecture. Atlanta was a small industrious and commercial city early on as a major southern rail hub.

All of these things are what make us southern. These are our roots. Yes these are the south's urban areas and where many people first settled, but I'm afraid people are falling into the trap that urban, dense, brick, walkable, and industrious must mean northeastern and rural farming must mean southern. The south is also not completely monotonous as Savannah, Miami, Nola, and Atlanta all have their similarities and differences. They also are a sign of the different cultural influences we had at different times.

It hasn't been mentioned, but I have to throw it out there to make a point. Savannah, GA.....very walkable, unique, urban, full of brick buildings, and even some gritty areas. The thing is it is the most quintessential Southern I can think of.

The sad thing is... being in Atlanta (or any of these cities) we always two fronts on this argument.... prove the worth of the South and show it isn't just rural farmland to the those in the northeast and at the same time try to keep local rural residents from high-jacking what is southern away from us. Even they call us northern almost solely, because we are a big city. Big cities bring in different uses, diversity, and political concerns from their rural counterparts universally....not just in the South.

All of this talk about DC is jsut silly and the arguments about they aren't either... they are just mid-atlantic are silly.

The district itself is unique to most places regardless of north, south, midwestern, or anywhere. The influences, regulations, and resources it was given made it something unique in general. However, the area around it is very southern and definitely south of the Mason-Dixon. Most of the people arguing otherwise usually are doing so because they are falling into the same perception trap (or worried from it) that everything in the south can't be urban, dense, walkable, brick, etc...

I mean the city was planned by a Frenchman (and it shows) and is surrounded by Virginia and Maryland... and did I mention Virginia!?

Now what other part of America was heavily influenced by cities built and planned by Frenchmen and surrounded by marshland, rivers, suburbs, and southern countryside/forests.... Nola, Baton Rouge, and Mobile come to mind. Now I know these places socially are actually very different on the ground... I don't want to seem like I am ignoring these differences, but I just have to spot out the many things that city actually shares with cities in the South.

So many people are so quick to try to detach themselves from the South... but its often the wrong reasons.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:29 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,069,977 times
DC is MID ATLANTIC!!!!

There's absolutely no city in the South that resembles DC IMO and majority of the Southerner's don't even ID with DC weather it's under the MD Line or not. Has anyone even taken into account that even though DC is under the MD Line, the actual line itself is just a few mile up the road meaning that DC bearly even made on the South Side of the line, so it's not like DC all of a sudden becomes Southern just because of some line that's like a few miles up the road LOL (Yeah right). If it does then that must be one mysterious or magical line that quickly turns people into Southerner's moments after they cross some line from PA to MD/DC LMAOO. I could understand if DC was Geographically located somewhere near GA, SC, or TN, but it's not. The 2 closest Southern states that DC is nearest to is VA and NC and Virginia doesn't even get Southern until you get to Richmond, which is like a 2 hour drive from DC and NC is like a good 4 hours away. Meanwhile DC is just as close to Northern states like PA, which is like an hour and some change away and NJ, which is like 3 hours away, so that's why DC is considered the Middle man here. Regardless of any magical line that's suppose to make people Southern once you cross it, the only region that fit's DC best is the MID ATLANTIC, which is in between the North & South just like we all wanted it from the start. That was the plan remember?

#TEAMDMV

Last edited by DMV; 03-21-2011 at 11:58 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 11:30 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,553 times
Quote:
There share commonalities in the historical areas. Everywhere else not so much. But, hey everything looks the same to you. What do I know?
Ehh, quite the contrary. I never said anything of the sort, but you just can't resist splitting hairs can you?

Honestly, and I may be going against the grain here, but I really don't see many if any commonalities between ATL and the Northeast. They look and feel vastly different to me...maybe some areas but for the most part, no. The most Northeastern aspect of ATL would be the accents that I encounter regularly, and that's how I like it!

Quote:
Somebody pass me a daq and drop a triggerman beat so we can get this thread started.
bend it bust it open, bend it bust it open, bend it-bend it-bend it bust it open; bring that beat back

We need a good local music thread that doesn't wind up shut down like all of the rest of em'. That's a damn shame.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:44 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
Ehh, quite the contrary. I never said anything of the sort, but you just can't resist splitting hairs can you?
Actually I didn't realize it was you. Thought I was replying to AlGreen. My bad. I was moving too fast, trust that if I had realized it was you I wouldn't have even touched a hair. You might never let it go.

Everything else, I agree.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:56 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
NC is also mid atlantic, is it not? ppl from DC shouldn't use the argument of DC being mid atlantic to say that its not part of the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City