Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 06:56 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
How did this turn into another is DC a part of the south conversation? I swear people just cant get enough of it....The south starts from Fredericksburg, VA on down. DC is mid-atlantic period. There is southern history in the MD/DC region no question, but NO way is it more culturally similar to GA, Texas, Alabama, NC, than it is to NJ, PA, CT etc...

And finally Atlanta, again is not Northeastern by any stretch.
No one said it was
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 07:12 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Someone already elaborated on this... You need to quote them.. nothing is going to change my mind or make me feel any different..
I see where no one elaborated on this.

There must be some sort of rational basis to your opinion or a valid reason why you feel my assessment is off. And there may be. Do you care to share? All I've seen you say is, "Well I disagree" with absolutely nothing to support your view. Come now, I know you can do better than that. You could at least say something to the effect that you associate these characteristics with the Northeast because the region is home to the oldest big cities in the country or something. I mean this is called a discussion board for a reason right?

I think what's more disturbing for me is that you see Atlanta as having characteristics you deem as exclusively Northeastern as a sort of validation or vindication of the city.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I see where no one elaborated on this.

There must be some sort of rational basis to your opinion or a valid reason why you feel my assessment is off. And there may be. Do you care to share? All I've seen you say is, "Well I disagree" with absolutely nothing to support your view. Come now, I know you can do better than that. You could at least say something to the effect that you associate these characteristics with the Northeast because the region is home to the oldest big cities in the country or something. I mean this is called a discussion board for a reason right?

I think what's more disturbing for me is that you see Atlanta as having characteristics you deem as exclusively Northeastern as a sort of validation or vindication of the city.
Evidently you haven't read thru the last 3 pages. Someone quoted u when u made that same statement too me the first time... Check dtownboogie post on page 12.. I believe.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Evidently you haven't read thru the last 3 pages. Someone quoted u when u made that same statement too me the first time... Check dtownboogie post on page 12.. I believe.
I missed that post and the things he mentioned were not the things that were brought up in the first post in this thread.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
I agree with your post because it is true that the architecture is not exclusive to the northeast however the subway stations, street vendors, and overall street level activity that was captured in those photos do give it more of a northeastern vibe which can also be attributed to characteristics of the northeast while the cities I highlighted do not have that type of environment.
You highlighted New Orleans, which has it more than any Southern city, IMO. No it doesn't have a subway but it does have an authentic streetcar system still in place that runs downtown and throughout the surrounding neighborhoods. At any rate, the cities I listed were meant to representative of the fact that cities in different regions of the country have a similar urban vibe to them. That's not exclusive to the Northeast.

Also, when one considers not just downtown but areas outside of downtown, the cities I initially listed have even more of a case.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:02 AM

617 posts, read 1,424,242 times
Quote:
You highlighted New Orleans, which has it more than any Southern city, IMO. No it doesn't have a subway but it does have an authentic streetcar system still in place that runs downtown and throughout the surrounding neighborhoods. At any rate, the cities I listed were meant to representative of the fact that cities in different regions of the country have a similar urban vibe to them. That's not exclusive to the Northeast.

Also, when one considers not just downtown but areas outside of downtown, the cities I initially listed have even more of a case.
Ok I'll give you NOLA but Detroit, Kansas City, and especially Tulsa? I would like for you to try to come up with any pics on the internet where street level activity that in those cities look as vibrant as the one's for ATL on a regular day. BTW having a street car is not the same as having a subway, a subway in the city gives a city a much more urban feel to it which is a strong characteristic of a northeastern city.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Ok I'll give you NOLA but Detroit, Kansas City, and especially Tulsa? I would like for you to try to come up with any pics on the internet where street level activity that in those cities look as vibrant as the one's for ATL on a regular day. BTW having a street car is not the same as having a subway, a subway in the city gives a city a much more urban feel to it which is a strong characteristic of a northeastern city.
Which you cant find in all Historic urban centers nor will you find the street vendors. Are muslims On the streets with there mic screaming about people going to hell etc I see this all the time in Philly.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:18 AM

60 posts, read 90,874 times
Quote:
Which you cant find in all Historic urban centers nor will you find the street vendors. Are muslims On the streets with there mic screaming about people going to hell etc I see this all the time in Philly.
Plenty of them in D.C.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Once again, you're missing the forest for the trees. My point was that other regions of the country have dense, active urban cores. That in itself is not a NE characteristic.

And I don't think a subway in and of itself automatically gives a city more of an urban feel. That's dependent on if and how it's intricately tied to land uses and historically, MARTA in Atlanta hasn't done a really good job with that. If a streetcar system or even light rail has that relationship with land use, it will automatically have a more urban effect on its surroundings.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:45 AM

617 posts, read 1,424,242 times
Quote:
Once again, you're missing the forest for the trees. My point was that other regions of the country have dense, active urban cores. That in itself is not a NE characteristic.

And I don't think a subway in and of itself automatically gives a city more of an urban feel. That's dependent on if and how it's intricately tied to land uses and historically, MARTA in Atlanta hasn't done a really good job with that. If a streetcar system or even light rail has that relationship with land use, it will automatically have a more urban effect on its surroundings.
Ok then quick question for you since I see what your continuing argument is going to be, what in your opinion are "northeastern" characteristics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City