Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,256 times

Advertisements

Wow, people are taking this a lot more seriously than they should. I thought it as just kind of a mindless, fun, aesthetic comparison.

I like to compare and contrast Atlanta with other cities because Atlanta's history and growth is unique in this country: a landlocked, burned-to-the-ground, industrial city in the deep south that turned boomtown 40 years ago, and with one of three heavy rail systems outside of the northeast. Some of those characteristics contribute to it looking somewhat northern in places; some of them contribute to it looking like an old southern rail stop in places (ever seen downtown College Park?); some of them contribute to it looking like McSprawl in (many!) places. I added earlier that Atlanta, like northern cities and unlike many sunbelt cities, doesn't have a dominant immigrant force, but instead a very fragmented community.

Sheesh, making statements like this doesn't mean I wish Atlanta was the north or something. Frankly, what our city is becoming is less and less 'northern-looking' all the time, and I like the direction our city is going.

However, I do with we'd ramp up historical preservation a notch, since we have lost a lot of our best old 1920s brick beauties already. Fortunately, our best remaining stuff is protected (like the buildings on the corner of Peachtree and Ponce; Castleberry Hill; and the old high rises downtown). If it weren't for preservationists, a lot of this stuff would be paved over by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 05:59 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
Ok then quick question for you since I see what your continuing argument is going to be, what in your opinion are "northeastern" characteristics?
The closest thing to me would be the combination of a history of heavy industry, high levels of immigration in the 1800's/1900's, and a predominantly Catholic religious population.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:13 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The closest thing to me would be the combination of a history of heavy industry, high levels of immigration in the 1800's/1900's, and a predominantly Catholic religious population.

OMG I knew it.....

F

Old 03-23-2011, 06:28 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
You knew what? You need to stop with these silly hit and run posts and at least explain yourself. You were able to do that quite easily in the threads about nightlife in Charlotte and Atlanta, but it seems you have difficulty doing that when a much more substantive subject is under discussion. I can't say I'm not surprised, however.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:34 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
pole dancing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City