Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 02:55 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,655,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
So does Miami. What is it about Miami that looks Northeastern in any way shape or form? I don't see the comparison everyone makes.
Im speaking in terms of the grid, density, walkability, and dense skyline, not actual looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 04:55 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Im speaking in terms of the grid, density, walkability, and dense skyline, not actual looks.
Oh, ok. Yeah, the similarities in it's grid, density, and walkability I can see.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:45 PM

8,465 posts, read 14,896,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
I cant believe you guys actually think that MIAMI of all places actually looks Northeastern.
Seriously. This oft repeated line always bugs me. It's as if they have no idea what Miami looks like. For the daft, it looks nothing like the Northeast for the most part and I'll seriously pay anyone to show me different.

As for the OP, I don't agree with it either except for the slimmest of ways. It does have merit though because Atlanta proper doesn't look much like the other big cities in the Sunbelt like Miami, Houston, Dallas, and Los Angeles.

I've always felt it had more in common looks wise with Detroit, Cleveland, Seattle, and Portland with a tad bit of Minneapolis and a dash or two of brownstones and tenements from the Northeast. Then you throw in to the mix several 800+ ft skyscrapers in the middle, DC's subway cars, Boston's "street plan" (Lol) and you'll have Atlanta.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:06 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,454,507 times
ATL is southern

Old 03-19-2011, 06:39 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Here's Atlanta from a train looking kinda Northeastern.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q91bOusLIE4 You could argue though that if it wasn't for the Palm trees, beaches and warm weather Miami would be the most northeastern looking city simply because of its density.

to the immeadiate right yes, when the camera pans left, no

Old 03-20-2011, 12:40 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,146,662 times
I haven't been on this site in awhile, hey everyone! I just have to say, why do you think I come to Florida in the winter after being in New York/New Jersey all summer? It's for the change. Orlando/Tampa/Miami all have palm trees, warm weather, and beautiful water, much different than New York in the winter lol. I have to admit, Atlanta does have some northeastern characteristics with its architecture, a lot of trees that turn naked in the winter (especially this winter, which makes me think even further that Atlanta has some northeastern characteristics with the snow they got!) and the subway system is one of the best in the country, enough said.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:16 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,699,343 times
NO ATL is completey southern. No northeast characteristics whatsoever.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:24 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
NO ATL is completey southern. No northeast characteristics whatsoever.
Wrong. There are many, in looks alone. Have you ever been to Atlanta?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:27 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quit being idiots people; the OP never suggested ATL was northeastern or was just like it; they were was speaking about areas looking like certain parts of the NE. I swear you NE people be on some other stuff.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:29 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,800,933 times
Sigh @ this thread. So many people to pick on, yet little energy to do so.

Anyway, parts of Atlanta are reminiscent of a NE city (seemingly on purpose at times), but as a whole, no. But hell, I could point out parts of Houston that reminded me of the Eastern seaboard.

Still, I have to agree with those saying Atlanta looks far more southern than it does northern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City