Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 02:22 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There's nothing wrong with this per se. I'm just curious about the areas whose suburban residents claim the city proper rather than the specific suburb they actually live in.

Could someone from Renton, Washington claim Seattle? Or would Seattle residents take umbrage with that?

Could someone from Jersey City claim the Big Apple? It is part of the New York Metropolitan Area and it's closer to Manhattan than Staten Island.

How about someone from Silver Spring, Maryland? Or Aurora, IL? Can they claim DC and Chicago, respectively?
For a lot of people, it's not about not having pride in the city or suburb that they were from, but the simple fact that no one knows what part of the country you're even talking about when you travel.

I moved to Chicago 4 years ago, and I still tell people I'm from St. Louis, rather than the St. Louis suburb I'm from that's actually located in Illinois. Most people have never heard of it, and worse yet, several people have also been completely shocked when I told them that St. Louis is sitting on the Missouri/Illinois border.

When I'm back in the St. Louis area visiting friends and family though, it's entirely different. I never say I'm from St. Louis, because it's simply not true, and people there actually know where I'm talking about.

Edit: I just noticed how old the original post is. Yay me for not paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 10:27 AM

282 posts, read 471,952 times
I don't understand what the problem is with people saying they're from 'x' city but live in 'x' suburb. It just makes things easier amongst people who wouldn't otherwise know your city's suburbs. When people find out I'm not a San Antonio native and ask where I'm originally from, I respond with Chicago even though I lived there for three years and grew up in Brookfield. Now when I'm back in Chicago visiting family and people ask where I'm living now, I say San Antonio even though I live in Alamo Heights. I'm such a liar

Old 08-14-2013, 11:06 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
I used to say, "I'm from the Philadelphia area," but at some point gave up and started saying, "Philadelphia." I try to justify it because half of my family lives in Philadelphia, so I spent the better parts of my summers in northeast Philly, South Philly, or Center City (where my dad worked). I almost certainly know Philadelphia better than I know Havertown (where I grew up). So, it's a bit disingenuous to say I'm from Philadelphia, but it's partially justified. Plus, I don't want to say the suburbs as if I'm trying to distance myself from the city (i.e. I'm ashamed of it).

Old 08-14-2013, 06:40 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,725 times
The suburbs of Houston encompass quite a lot. There are areas inside the Loop that are as suburban as Katy, Tx. So, naturally, people throughout that sprawl refer to "Houston" as their home. The lines are incredibly blurred and the distinction between urban and suburban, or even rural is often difficult to understand.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:07 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
Silly suburbanites.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 AM

29 posts, read 27,653 times
I hear people who moved to Florida say quite stupid things like,

"oh yes, we moved here from Detroit"

I simply say, sure thing, yeah, right. You're from Detroit eh ?

I hear this sort of misrepresentation all the time.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:15 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
"I live in Hawthorne."
"Where??"
"... Los Angeles"

Old 08-15-2013, 05:56 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,060 times
When I was in college at UCSB a pretty common occurrence for me would be:

Stranger: Where you from?

Me: SF

Stranger: Me too!

Me: Where in SF?

Stranger: Marin...

Me: I hate you so much never talk to me again.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:00 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Lives in Glendale/Pasadena/Burbank, claims L.A.

TBH, they all kind of blend into each other..

Old 08-15-2013, 07:02 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Has anyone here heard of Woodbury? probably not.

so i'll just say i'm from Saint Paul or Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City